Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where Next ???

Where Next ???

Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:33 am
Just Joined

MacD91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where Next ???

Well after being in the British army for 8 years and then Norway and now Germany with my wife and kid (6 Months) . Who is German. i do not really like living here(Germany) and she dose not really want to live in Scotland ( bad weather) . I'm looking for a new home.... i have decided that it has to be a English speaking country that has good weather and a fairly good standard of living. (JOB) Well after i left the army i worked in different jobs working in Bars , Painting and some building work. but nothing i have really as a moving trade So Ive booked myself to do a plumbing and solar heating course ( £6500 ) that says it will give me the qualification needed to be a plumber. http://www.met-uk.com/MET%20Courses/...vel%202%20%203) So my plan is this..... i will do the course and then get a job as a plumber for 1 to 2 years to give me some experience and then move. Have you got any good advice where would be a good place to look for a new start. Maybe something to do with the course or how long i would need experience before i would be excepted for the working visa. Thanks for your time reading this.. Keith .
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Next ???

Originally Posted by MacD91
Well after being in the British army for 8 years and then Norway and now Germany with my wife and kid (6 Months) . Who is German. i do not really like living here(Germany) and she dose not really want to live in Scotland ( bad weather) . I'm looking for a new home.... i have decided that it has to be a English speaking country that has good weather and a fairly good standard of living. (JOB) Well after i left the army i worked in different jobs working in Bars , Painting and some building work. but nothing i have really as a moving trade So Ive booked myself to do a plumbing and solar heating course ( £6500 ) that says it will give me the qualification needed to be a plumber. http://www.met-uk.com/MET%20Courses/...vel%202%20%203) So my plan is this..... i will do the course and then get a job as a plumber for 1 to 2 years to give me some experience and then move. Have you got any good advice where would be a good place to look for a new start. Maybe something to do with the course or how long i would need experience before i would be excepted for the working visa. Thanks for your time reading this.. Keith .
Go to Poland they have a skills shortage all the Polish plumbers are in London!
I really have no idea if you'd qualify for a visa in the US its very difficult, check out some of the threads in the Immigration forum.
How about oz or nz instead??
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:59 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

You need to read this link http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA called Pulaski's ways to work out if a visa to the US is possible. If you don't fit one of those categories, it's not going to happen.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:06 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Adnams
Go to Poland they have a skills shortage all the Polish plumbers are in London!
I really have no idea if you'd qualify for a visa in the US its very difficult, check out some of the threads in the Immigration forum.
How about oz or nz instead??
he's already posted same in Aus, NZ and Canada forums
that's quite a wide net to cast
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You're posting on the USA forum so I suppose you're considering the USA as a potential new home. Please read the BE created article on immigrating to the US.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Assuming you'll get your plumbing qualification and get your 2-3 years experience, which visa do you think you'll be eligible for?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:46 am
Just Joined

well yes my 4 places i would consider is US/Canada/Australia and New Zealand. Is the US Harder to get into ? Just had someone telling me that there was a shortage of plumbers in the US. Just woke up so not had a chance to read the links.. but thanks for the replies. And NO Poland is NOT an Option . Ive Not lived in Scotland for over 20 years so Scotland is Not really My Home home if you know what i mean.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There may be a shortage of plumbers, but it has not risen to the level that they are importing them from other countries. There are far greater shortages, such as doctors, computer programmers, and soccer players married to plastic Barbie dolls (but we only need one of them).

Seriously, the chances of you getting a visa to the US as a plumber are basically nil, sorry to say. The H-1 visas (closest to a skilled visa) is basically reserved for college graduates (or post-graduate) or people with at least 12-15 years experience, and then in a trade that is in demand (doctor, techies, professors, etc). Take a look at the links provided. If there is any other way you can get in you might want to look at those options. Your wife wouldn't happen to be a nurse would she?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There may be a shortage of plumbers, but it has not risen to the level that they are importing them from other countries. There are far greater shortages, such as doctors, computer programmers, and soccer players married to plastic Barbie dolls (but we only need one of them).

Seriously, the chances of you getting a visa to the US as a plumber are basically nil, sorry to say. The H-1 visas (closest to a skilled visa) is basically reserved for college graduates (or post-graduate) or people with at least 12-15 years experience, and then in a trade that is in demand (doctor, techies, professors, etc). Take a look at the links provided. If there is any other way you can get in you might want to look at those options. Your wife wouldn't happen to be a nurse would she?
Well thanks for your opinion and maybe the US is Not a possibility. just fishing around will look harder into other possibilitys. thanks again. PS No wife is a florist for 20 years.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Well thanks for your opinion and maybe the US is Not a possibility. just fishing around will look harder into other possibilitys. thanks again. PS No wife is a florist for 20 years.
Again, really go through this list. It's very well done.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

There is a slight chance if you can come up with a good deal of money to start a business here, but I gather that might be a few years down the road.

Off the top of my head, there would probably be more demand for a solar power technician than a plumber, if following up on that course of study is realistic. Perhaps if you got a job with a solar power company that had offices in the US and somewhere else you could get a transfer in. Or maybe come over on a 1 year degree program somewhere at an American Uni and then look for some company to find a way to sponsor you.

But yeah, it is a rough go.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:03 am
Just Joined

MMmm Seems easier getting on the moon. I will put a full stop on this. thanks again for your help ..its saved me some wasted thinking time on this subject.