Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to Move? Help?

Where to Move? Help?

Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Move? Help?

Originally Posted by manchester123
the main importance is jobs, we need a place to move to where we know we will be able to get jobs. ....
Now you're talking. If I might be so bold, I suggest you completely ignore most of the posts on this thread, and your own preferences for weather, and focus your attention on where you can find reasonably well paid jobs with career potential, without jobs the weather is worth nothing.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

manchester123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Now you're talking. If I might be so bold, I suggest you completely ignore most of the posts on this thread, and your own preferences for weather, and focus your attention on where you can find reasonably well paid jobs with career potential, without jobs the weather is worth nothing.
Yep i totally agree i think from researching the best places seem to be either the dakotas, or texas job wise, if im correct??
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what work experience do either of you have?

You say that your husband has an apprenticeship from Rolls Royce but has he actually worked for them? Also the Mechanical Engineering degree - is that a BSc or Msc and has he ever worked as a Mechanical Engineer?

What about you?

I ask these questions because with the emphasis on a degree level education most companies ask for good degrees and work experience for even, what we would call, mundane office clerical jobs.

So, if you are expecting to get decent paid job within a short period of time of arriving in the US then I think you will be disappointed.

There is no place, as you put it, "where we know we will get jobs"

Without the above attributes you are pretty much looking at entry level/minimum wage jobs - and no amount of sunshine is going to make up for that. Bear in mind that taxes can in some states be as high as those in the UK (California comes to mind) and you have to pay for health insurance.

There are also few Government benefits for a couples such as yourself.

Have either of you visited the US?

You realise that your husband will have to sponsor you for a spouse visa for the US? Is he able to do that?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Yes he has lived in the us for 16 years. So yes he has been. And yes I have visited. We are not expecting to have top of the range jobs. But we expect to be no worse off than what we are now. Like I said in a previous comment we have enough money to comfortably live for around 1 year so I hope that would be plenty of time to find a job. Especially in a state like texas.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

We are not expecting to have a better style of life. We are hoping to be just as we are currently, we were just looking for the best state to start off in to give us a better chance.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... But we expect to be no worse off than what we are now....
Well that could be a challenge. Without a job, with insurance...and no or limited US credit history and driving history, costs will be higher.

Really do need to check out LinkedIn and Indeed and basically move where ever you can find a job and worry about a nice location later and no, you don't want to be winging it here.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:25 am
Just Joined

so people don't think its realistic to find a job within 1 year of living there? I myself thought a year was quite realistic but im guessing by people's comments it takes years to find a job
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

so people don't think its realistic to find a job within 1 year of living there? I myself thought a year was quite realistic but im guessing by people's comments it takes years to find a job
You seem unwilling to give any detail about your field of work and experience. There are backbreaking day worker jobs you can turn up for, only you know if that will give you what you have currently.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It just all depends. Some people do indeed take years to get a job, some still can't find a proper job after graduating, some settle for far less than they want or need.
It's a harsh job environment for everyone, generally.

Several times now I've referred you to indeed.com, and even did a search for you, but you haven't responded to my prodding. Go and do an initial search and determine if any of the posted vacancies are up your alley. I'd be really interested.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks hotscot. Yeh we checked out your indeed search. ..we did a search ourselves too and found a lot of jobs in the mechanical engineer sales field in dallas texas. With a good base pay which is good. I understand we will have to start off right at the bottom and work our way up again with everything. Will keep looking at other vacancies and see what we can see. There were a lot of your search in Michigan which also looked quite good for the field were after

Thankyou
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem, the major one, is no experience, and unfortunately every employer has a choice of about 20 or more experienced people for each vacancy. Unfortunately without real experience in one of those jobs your resume won't even be looked at. It will be filtered out by HR.

Also, few real meaningful entry level jobs anymore where the employer will train you up. Not when they have their pick of experienced staff.

You won't want to hear this but I would highly recommend finding a job in the UK, where you have a better support structure, for two or three years to get some experience on the resume, and then do the move. You'll be far better prepared in that case.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

I would not recommend Charleston. Humid as heck nine months out of the year. We still have around 10% unemployment. I have been looking for a full time job in my career field for five years now (bachelor's with honors and a master's degree); I currently work two part-time jobs.

Has your USC husband been filing his US tax returns as required by law? Also, if he is of appropriate age has he registered with Selective Service as required? Best of luck to both of you whatever you decide.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Presume hubby is UK citizen now?

(Also, serious tip, learn Spanish, and if you're really a masochist, consider learning some technical Mandarin. I see the Spanish requirement a lot on job reqs. and I've seen some wonderful technical sales jobs go unfilled due to the Mandarin issue.)

(Another tip! While in the UK do some research to find a small UK or EU company that needs represented in the US. Many such companies would like to tap the US market and need people to do that. That's what I do. PM me if necessary.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 20th 2014 at 1:07 am.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Yes he has been filing his tax returns. ... and hes served a couple of years ago. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.