Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to Move? Help?

Where to Move? Help?

Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Move? Help?

Pretty much anywhere in the deep south apart from Florida is pretty nice - that said, the pay isn't the greatest anywhere in this area.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What field of engineering and what level of experience does your husband have? Depending on the answers to that, it may not be as hard to break into an engineering job as he might think. There are more engineering jobs in the US than over here in the UK, mostly due to the fact that the US has far more industry. An engineering position is also going to pay fairly well, and far more likely to come with benefits such as health insurance. Sales positions are usually less lucrative (unless you are a damn good salesman), and don't always come with good benefits.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

manchester123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
What field of engineering and what level of experience does your husband have? Depending on the answers to that, it may not be as hard to break into an engineering job as he might think. There are more engineering jobs in the US than over here in the UK, mostly due to the fact that the US has far more industry. An engineering position is also going to pay fairly well, and far more likely to come with benefits such as health insurance. Sales positions are usually less lucrative (unless you are a damn good salesman), and don't always come with good benefits.

He has an advanced modern apprentership in engineering with rolls royce, and an mechanical engineering degree. He has no working experience because as you probably know, its pretty much impossible to get a job in this field over here, especially in manchester.
Thanks for your reply and help.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the Rolls Royce aspect count as experience? He could highlight that on a resume.

Have you been to Indeed.com yet...do a quick search and see if anything pops up.

For example

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=ford+mo...mpany&start=30
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manchester123
He has an advanced modern apprentership in engineering with rolls royce, and an mechanical engineering degree. He has no working experience because as you probably know, its pretty much impossible to get a job in this field over here, especially in manchester.
Thanks for your reply and help.
There are entry level ME jobs to be had, otherwise most graduate MEs here would have issues getting into the field. An apprenticeship would go a long way towards getting into the automotive industry - assuming that's what he's most interested in. There are plenty of automotive plants to consider. Some of them may not be in the hottest areas of the country, but they'll be in locations that give you all 4 seasons. For example, Ford has 2 assembly plants in Louisville, Kentucky. Louisville gets plenty hot in the summer, but it can get pretty cold in the winter too.

Just depends on what your priorities are - is it location, or is it jobs? If your hubby graduated in the last couple of years, it may not be incredibly difficult to break into the field...but if he finished school 5+ years ago and hasn't used the degree since, he might find it more difficult.

I'm not an expert on the ME field. I have a US degree in Industrial Engineering (which is similar in some ways to ME). Tell him to start researching some of the professional organizations to see what his chances would be. Like maybe the Society of Automotive Engineers.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=hotscot;11180890]Doesn't the Rolls Royce aspect count as experience? He could highlight that on a resume.

yeh i suppose it would count as experience, thanks il tell him to check those jobs out.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And also create a LinkedIn profile and start networking.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

the main importance is jobs, we need a place to move to where we know we will be able to get jobs.

i suppose thats the hardest thing, finding a place that meets most requirements

il have a look at louisville. thanks
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the main importance is jobs, we need a place to move to where we know we will be able to get jobs.

i suppose thats the hardest thing, finding a place that meets most requirements

il have a look at louisville. thanks
Well, I have to admit, I'm a bit biased towards Louisville, since that's where I'm from. I don't know if Louisville would suit your needs, but I can tell you that are quite a few automotive and industrial facilities in that region of the country. I can't think of one ME friend that had issues finding employment in that area. It's not as close to the beach as you all may want, but it's also fairly affordable as far as cost of living and housing. I'm not sure about the Texas employment opportunities, but there could be good opps for an ME in the oil & gas industry.

Good luck in your search!
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure if that exists anymore...apart from North Dakota...
Just all depends what you guys are looking for, what the employer is looking for, and who's competing for the position.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well, I have to admit, I'm a bit biased towards Louisville, since that's where I'm from. I don't know if Louisville would suit your needs, but I can tell you that are quite a few automotive and industrial facilities in that region of the country. I can't think of one ME friend that had issues finding employment in that area. It's not as close to the beach as you all may want, but it's also fairly affordable as far as cost of living and housing. I'm not sure about the Texas employment opportunities, but there could be good opps for an ME in the oil & gas industry.

Good luck in your search!
Yeh il defo check out louisville as wed love to have 4 seasons, rather than just hot all the time like texas, but when doing our research it just seemed as though texas had a much lower unemployment rate, more jobs and lower cost of living, but i am definatly going to look in louisville, from what im looking at now seems really good.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info pulaski, hes after any sales, we have a background is call centre/ car sales. or something to do with his engineering degree he will be looking at. There seems to be a lot of car sales
Call center work is arguably even worse, legal minimum pay, for those who flunked out of high school.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
The Carolinas have great weather.
Which just shows how subjective comments about climate are... I'd put the Carolinas pretty much at the bottom of my list for climate.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I'm not really aware of better opportunities here. It's a race to the bottom generally.

Better weather? I dislike the weather here in Southern California with the relentless heat and sunshine and drought. No joke.
Just about bearable if you stay in Malibu, horrible most of the time otherwise.

OP's motivations for moving and overall awareness seem even dopier than the usual fare on here and that's saying something.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Just about bearable if you stay in Malibu, horrible most of the time otherwise.

OP's motivations for moving and overall awareness seem even dopier than the usual fare on here and that's saying something.
So what would be a good motivation for moving in your OPINION?!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.