Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to Move? Help?

Where to Move? Help?

Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

manchester123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to Move? Help?

hi there, i am new to this forum and have been reading lots of information on moving to the USA which has been a great. so thankyou.

Me and my husband currently live in england, however my husband is American and came to england at a young age. We are going to be moving to the US however are really struggling to pick a state/city to live in.

We are a young couple who are wanting to start a family soon, we would like somewhere with nice hot or warm weather. Somewhere where it will be very easy to find a job and a nice place to bring up a family.
We will be looking to buy a home, therefore a place where it is cheaper to buy a nice decent sized home for under $200,000 is also important. Also nice scenery would be a benefit also.

Any information you could share on the different states would be brilliant with your opinions would really help?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:03 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Move? Help?

Originally Posted by manchester123
hi there, i am new to this forum and have been reading lots of information on moving to the USA which has been a great. so thankyou.

Me and my husband currently live in england, however my husband is American and came to england at a young age. We are going to be moving to the US however are really struggling to pick a state/city to live in.

We are a young couple who are wanting to start a family soon, we would like somewhere with nice hot or warm weather. Somewhere where it will be very easy to find a job and a nice place to bring up a family.
We will be looking to buy a home, therefore a place where it is cheaper to buy a nice decent sized home for under $200,000 is also important. Also nice scenery would be a benefit also.

Any information you could share on the different states would be brilliant with your opinions would really help?

Thanks in advance
Texas
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your reply bunnygirl! I was actually looking at texas myself. what part of Texas would you recommend ?? I always just thought Texas was more cowboyish if that makes sense and kind of old fashioned?? but i have never been and thats just i see on the TV, also how humid is texas? so compared to florida? i know its big so im guessing it varies throughout?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again for your reply
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We are a young couple who are wanting to start a family soon, we would like somewhere with nice hot or warm weather. Somewhere where it will be very easy to find a job and a nice place to bring up a family. ...
"Hot"? You can have too much of a good thing!

What jobs are you looking for? You face two problems: without some sort of skilled or professional job you won't be buying a $200k house, and secondly, whatever skills or qualifications you (both) have may not readily lead to work in the US.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Might depend on what you do for work...that'll make the biggest decision.

Hot, well that comes with potential for humidity, massive AC costs and potential weird weather stuff.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:23 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply bunnygirl! I was actually looking at texas myself. what part of Texas would you recommend ?? I always just thought Texas was more cowboyish if that makes sense and kind of old fashioned?? but i have never been and thats just i see on the TV, also how humid is texas? so compared to florida? i know its big so im guessing it varies throughout? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again for your reply
Absolutely, there are lots of people on here who live in different parts of Texas. I only know the DFW area (that's where we're moving to hopefully in the Summer).

Definitely not cowboyish, not in the city areas anyway. Yes, it's hot and humidity can vary across the state but everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE) is airconned so it's not too bad. Cost of living/housing is cheap, and the schools seem good (you'll obviously always get your bad areas).

I know there's quite a lot of people on here who live in/near Houston which looks like it might be good for a young couple, check out sites like city data etc to help you.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Only places in the US that I know of that are hot and not humid would be Nevada and Arizona. Hot is a relative term to some ... these states will top the temperature at over 100 for most of the long summer months.

As for employment opportunities, you have to narrow that down to the type of employment you are qualified for unless you want to do menial work or waitress or the likes.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Hey, were looking at sales jobs as we both have experience with that. With regards to buying a house, were not expecting to buy for a while, and to rent to begin with. We have quite a large deposit already which will hopefully help, we also have enough to money to last us up to a year when we first move over there, which will hopefully help us by giving us enough time to find jobs.

Yes i agree with you with the hotness haha.. but id rather be hot than cold. Temperature is really bottom of our list, more jobs and nice lifestyle for familys is up at the top.

Thanks for your reply
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

we are fine with humidity as long as there is aircon , come to think of it, were happy with any type of weather/ temperature. just as long as there are opportunities for work.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

My husband also has a degree in Engineering, but i believe that is hard to get into.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

we are fine with humidity as long as there is aircon , come to think of it, were happy with any type of weather/ temperature. just as long as there are opportunities for work.
North Dakota... lowest unemployment of any state.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:40 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

My husband also has a degree in Engineering, but i believe that is hard to get into.
Texas has got to have lots of opportunities for that!
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
North Dakota... lowest unemployment of any state.
Does not really equate with 'hot' though
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Does not really equate with 'hot' though
Well, the OP did modify their climate considerations... but, yeh, brutally cold in the winter
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

i know a couple of you said texas? is texas always hot hot hot? does it ever get cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.