Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Warning: contains nostalgic waffle

Where to live? Warning: contains nostalgic waffle

Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live? Warning: contains nostalgic waffle

Originally Posted by Michael
I lived in northern Minnesota for 18 years and I never got used to them. As a teenager, it was hell trying to make out with the windows closed with high humidity in a car just to keep the mozzie's away.
They were monsters up in Maine, and I get eaten alive, but the bites aren't nearly as bad after the first couple of years...still get eaten alive though
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They were monsters up in Maine, and I get eaten alive, but the bites aren't nearly as bad after the first couple of years...still get eaten alive though
They can't be the size of the ones in Minnesota. After all, it is the Minnesota state bird.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They can't be the size of the ones in Minnesota. After all, it is the Minnesota state bird.
Same for Maine
Old Mar 16th 2012, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Keltorian is an unknown quantity at this point

keep the mozzie's away.
Citronella.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 8:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Keltorian
Citronella.
Up in Maine that stuff never worked...it's a little bit better down my way, but then the mozzies aren't the size of bats down here
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Curtis86 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol I'm currently in the middle of a move from the UK to the US and there is no way I'm moving to any cold climate after being in the UK for 25 years lol. I only considered the southern states when looking for somewhere to move. I really can't deal with the cold anymore. I love the high humidity ... great for the skin
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Seattle is the best city in the US I have lived in for a multitude of reasons.

Currently I live just north of LA (Ventura County) and my quality of life is outstanding.

The West Coast is the place to be.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:12 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Delaware as a bairn, and I remember getting snow days and nice summers. I know we had some, and I can remember cutting down the Christmas tree in snow, as well as snow on the log pile. I also remember the horseflies from summer - they were big bitey buggers!

How about North Carolina?

Or what about Hawaii?

Last edited by Mr Weeze; Mar 23rd 2012 at 12:13 am. Reason: I forgot about the horseflies!
Old Mar 24th 2012, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Or what about Hawaii?
My Son has lived in Hawaii for almost 5 yrs (US Navy) He can't wait to get back to the lower 48! The weather is great there, 80's pretty much all year, but, and not sure if this is just the US military, he says that the locals don't really like the yanks His wife has had a hard time finding work outside the base too, she says the locals will interview her, but she has come to expect that she won't get the job.

Beautiful place though, maybe they would be ok with Brits?
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

North Carolina. But then again I want everyone to live there, because it's just so nice. And I want to return there someday... sigh... the weather is astounding though.