Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Warning: contains nostalgic waffle

Where to live? Warning: contains nostalgic waffle

Old Mar 10th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live? Warning: contains nostalgic waffle

Have you looked at Mayland and Delaware. Those areas are close to you specs and with rivers allow many water views. Many areas are affordable, but I would think your profession would drive you to a specific coast or region. The other area you know, in the great lakes region, but the winters are far too cold for me.

I would suggest you relook North Texas. Some of your disadvantages do not impact that area, but depends on your job for location.

Good searching

Last edited by SATX John; Mar 10th 2012 at 9:43 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Martinsb will become famous soon enoughMartinsb will become famous soon enough

Texas! Yes I'm biased because I live here, but what a great State! Dallas has everything you could ever wish for in a city and if you want some quiet, country bliss amongst the pine woods then East Texas fits the bill. Property prices are reasonable too so you can easily do both for the price of one house in many other locations. Allied with a strong economy and good employment numbers, what's not to love?!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martinsb
what's not to love?!

The giant flying cockroaches?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Everything's bigger in Texas!!

I have yet to see a giant flying roach, though my first armadillo sighting was entertaining, proof positive of the liaison that happened after the famous hare and tortoise race!

I am still trying to work out whether skunks or armadillos have the worst road safety record here in Texas!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:35 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Everything's bigger in Texas!!

I have yet to see a giant flying roach . . .
Try Houston, they're plentiful there.

Also giant mosquitoes, sometimes carrying fun diseases like West Nile Virus. Other fun Houston pests include stinging 'asp' caterpillars, fire ants, crazy ants, centipedes, etc.

Armadillos are relatively benign, though touching them can give you leprosy . . . .

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 12th 2012 at 6:38 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I am still trying to work out whether skunks or armadillos have the worst road safety record here in Texas!
Having lived in Texas for two years, my vote goes to the 'humans' on the roads!!!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Try Houston, they're plentiful there.

Also giant mosquitoes, sometimes carrying fun diseases like West Nile Virus. Other fun Houston pests include stinging 'asp' caterpillars, fire ants, crazy ants, centipedes, etc.

Armadillos are relatively benign, though touching them can give you leprosy . . . .
We tend to get more of the little 'tiger' mosquitos here, annoying little ankle biters!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Thanks guys. These ideas are interesting.

Just to clarify - we are fortunate in that we can work from home, so employment doesn't dictate where we live. Which is why we're looking at getting out of Michigan!

I don't think we could live in CA due to the expense. And I don't think we could live in TX because I only have a limited supply of blood and mosquitoes LOVE me. 2 months in FL and it looked like I had measles!
Plus the wife went to Dallas and really didn't fancy it much.

The MD/DE suggestion is interesting. Don't they get snow? How cold does it get?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 100weight
Thanks guys. These ideas are interesting.

Just to clarify - we are fortunate in that we can work from home, so employment doesn't dictate where we live. Which is why we're looking at getting out of Michigan!

I don't think we could live in CA due to the expense. And I don't think we could live in TX because I only have a limited supply of blood and mosquitoes LOVE me. 2 months in FL and it looked like I had measles!
Plus the wife went to Dallas and really didn't fancy it much.

California is actually not that expensive if you don't live in LA, San Diego, or the bay area. Sacramento is very inexpensive and Poppy Girl lives on the way to Tahoe in the Auburn area. Also anything along the north coast of California once you get out of the bay area is inexpensive. However Sacramento is hot during the summer.

The inland valleys are very inexpensive.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
California is actually not that expensive if you don't live in LA, San Diego, or the bay area. Sacramento is very inexpensive and Poppy Girl lives on the way to Tahoe in the Auburn area. Also anything along the north coast of California once you get out of the bay area is inexpensive. However Sacramento is hot during the summer.

The inland valleys are very inexpensive.
I think he wants to be by the water though.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think he wants to be by the water though.
There is the delta which has plenty of water near Sacramento, the Pacific ocean and rivers along the north coast, and the aqueduct in the inland valleys (that is meant to be a joke). Also near Auburn is one of the biggest reservoirs in California used for recreational purposes.

My kids were raised in Vacaville and Eureka for several years and those are very inexpensive. CADreaming lives in Eureka.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 12th 2012 at 9:06 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
There is the delta which has plenty of water near Sacramento, the Pacific ocean and rivers along the north coast, and the aqueduct in the inland valleys (that is meant to be a joke). Also near Auburn is one of the biggest reservoirs in California used for recreational purposes.
Yes I was thinking of the inland valleys -seem a bit parched - but good points in your post for him to consider.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes I was thinking of the inland valleys -seem a bit parched - but good points in your post for him to consider.
Yes the inland valleys are hot and boring.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 100weight
Cold and snowy, but doesn't have quite the same lake effects that you're used to, nor as cold.

As for mozzies, you'll get used to them, they'll still be a pain, but after a couple years, they won't bother you nearly as much.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Cold and snowy, but doesn't have quite the same lake effects that you're used to, nor as cold.

As for mozzies, you'll get used to them, they'll still be a pain, but after a couple years, they won't bother you nearly as much.
I lived in northern Minnesota for 18 years and I never got used to them. As a teenager, it was hell trying to make out with the windows closed with high humidity in a car just to keep the mozzie's away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.