British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where to live in the USA. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-live-usa-599917/)

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 11:34 pm

Where to live in the USA.

Hi,
I am just writting to see if anyone has any info in states in USA that match the following criteria:
My husband and I would like to live somewhere where weather in summer is really good, don't mind cold winters as we are from Befast, Northern Ireland, so used to the cold weather! We don't have any degree's I work in Pharmacy nd have been for nearly 4 years and my husband has his own business at the min cleaning windows and garden maintainence, etc.
We would be looking somewhere which is not too expensive and where we can both get jobs.
We have been looking into Colorado and would be greatful if we could get more information on it.
We would like to live in a safe community, somewhere where we could possibly bring kids up in the future. We would like somewhere where there is plenty of outdoor stuff to do as we enjoy snowboarding and my husband also surf's and is into longboarding.
We would like to live in a community that is near to a city but doesnt feel as though you live near a city, if you know what I mean!
My husband is a US citizen but hasnt lived there since he was about 1 year old so he is unsure as to where we should live as he is not sure of the different states. He doesnt have any family members that live in the US either.Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks :)

Dan725 Mar 25th 2009 11:45 pm

Re: Where to live in the USA.

To be honest right now - wherever you can find decent jobs.

Black Sheep Mar 26th 2009 12:02 am

Mrs-Ash,

Start by checking out:

http://www.city-data.com/

There's heaps of information there for you

Then go to the city-data forums (the USA forums are here - just choose any state and away you go):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums

Bill_S Mar 26th 2009 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Mrs-Ash (Post 7419876)
My husband is a US citizen but hasnt lived there since he was about 1 year old so he is unsure as to where we should live as he is not sure of the different states.

Has your husband been filing US tax returns?

Bob Mar 26th 2009 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 7420006)

and did he sign up for selective service at 18?

But for location, where ever you can get jobs and by what you've said your doing, it isn't looking good as there isn't much cool for window cleaners unless you do corporate gigs and working in a chemist, well you'll have to get requalified over here most likely, depending on the state.

If your both working, stick it out for a couple more years till things settle down in the US a bit because if you move and can't get squared away with a job and insurance etc straight away, your munted unlike back in the UK.

But going back to your question, look at NH, Portsmouth specifically.

PepsiChic Mar 26th 2009 2:02 am

Missouri has amazingly hot summers and snowy winters, there's a few big cities - St Louis, Jefferson etc if your looking for jobs - but everywhere is tight on jobs so good luck with that.

Edit: you have started 3 threads all saying more or less the same thing

NC Penguin Mar 26th 2009 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 7419932)
To be honest right now - wherever you can find decent jobs.

I'll second what the member above wrote. With the US economy like it is, your number one priority should be to move where you both can find employment.

JAJ Mar 26th 2009 8:05 am

Hi,
I am just writting to see if anyone has any info in states in USA that match the following criteria:
My husband and I would like to live somewhere where weather in summer is really good, don't mind cold winters as we are from Befast, Northern Ireland, so used to the cold weather! We don't have any degree's I work in Pharmacy nd have been for nearly 4 years and my husband has his own business at the min cleaning windows and garden maintainence, etc.
We would be looking somewhere which is not too expensive and where we can both get jobs.
We have been looking into Colorado and would be greatful if we could get more information on it.
We would like to live in a safe community, somewhere where we could possibly bring kids up in the future. We would like somewhere where there is plenty of outdoor stuff to do as we enjoy snowboarding and my husband also surf's and is into longboarding.
We would like to live in a community that is near to a city but doesnt feel as though you live near a city, if you know what I mean!
My husband is a US citizen but hasnt lived there since he was about 1 year old so he is unsure as to where we should live as he is not sure of the different states. He doesnt have any family members that live in the US either.Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Colorado is a popular state and someone else has mentioned New Hampshire and there are other places you might want to look at, including:

Nashville, TN
Austin or San Antonio, TX
Boston, MA
Atlanta, GA
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Raleigh/Durham, NC

But finding employment is going to be key.

piloteea Mar 26th 2009 4:11 pm

Hi,

"been around the block". Nothing really beats florida, especially if you have a bit of money. Colorado is nice yes, but people can appear a bit racists there.

Florida (central)

Nice weather 300-330 days a year
NO state tax
NO yearly MOT (very convenient if you travel a lot)
Lots of recreational stuff to do, golf, fishing, swimming, tennis, disney etc etc
And you are allowed to shoot people if they threaten you on your life :-)

Florida have a lot of really crappy areas, so depending on your budget.... you can get what you want

piloteea Mar 26th 2009 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7420982)
Colorado is a popular state and someone else has mentioned New Hampshire and there are other places you might want to look at, including:

Nashville, TN
Austin or San Antonio, TX
Boston, MA
Atlanta, GA
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Raleigh/Durham, NC

But finding employment is going to be key.

Austin is probably the best place to live (even better than florida where i live), if you are a bit allergic/having asthma I cannot recommend it.

Benefits:

Modern very techi cool people.
No state tax
cost of living is half of CA

Bad things:
a lot of pollen...
very hot and humid in the summer, expect 100-110 fahrenheit and very humid
LOADS of bugs...

piloteea Mar 26th 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 7420006)

us citizens have to, yes, but if they dont they can still move to the us, he it not a green card holder but a citizen..

Bill_S Mar 26th 2009 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by piloteea (Post 7422247)
us citizens have to, yes, but if they dont they can still move to the us, he it not a green card holder but a citizen..

He can move to the US, I agree. But if he wants to sponsor his foreign spouse he'll need to file.

Mrs-Ash Mar 26th 2009 6:58 pm

Many thanks for all your comments.
Its great to get all of your opinions as your the ones who know USA best. I will look into all the places that have been stated,
Many thanks Ashleigh

Bob Mar 26th 2009 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7420982)
Boston, MA

If either of them were a code monkey it would be a great option, otherwise, it would be a bit shit...Mass has been hit really hard for jobs and it's still a really expensive place to live in.

piloteea Mar 26th 2009 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7422889)
If either of them were a code monkey it would be a great option, otherwise, it would be a bit shit...Mass has been hit really hard for jobs and it's still a really expensive place to live in.

and it can be -15c in april.... Boston is very expensive and unless you're in the medical field a very difficult place to find jobs in. Anywhere in the US is difficult at the moment. MA furthermore have state income tax = give away money for nothing