Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live temporarily once I step off the plane?

Where to live temporarily once I step off the plane?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough
Default Where to live temporarily once I step off the plane?

Hello people.

I apologize if I'm rehashing an old topic but I'm wondering, once I get off the plane in the USA - while I'm waiting the 2-3 weeks for my container to arrive - where am I going to live?

My wife's parents' house is not really big enough for us to stay there until we get a rental apartment. Is there something designed for people in our situation, i.e. a really short term apartment rental or a sizeable discount on a hotel. How did you all do it?

I'm also worrying about the rental too, presumably like here they will credit check us? I will of course have zero credit history and my wife has some problems on hers. Should I be worrying about that?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:51 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live temporarily once I step off the plane?

How long will you want someplace temporary?

You can check with local apartment complexes for places that will accept deposits in lieu of minimum income levels and have month-to-month leases - we found one that would do this (though I do have a US credit report) and they also wanted a copy of DH's visa page of his passport. I contacted at least half a dozen before finding this one, so be persistent.

Or you could look for a "long term hotel" which do weekly or longer rates and often have kitchenettes, but these can be expensive.

Depending on where you are going there may even be hostels available, though these are not nearly as popular in the US as they are in Europe.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior View Post
Hello people.

I apologize if I'm rehashing an old topic but I'm wondering, once I get off the plane in the USA - while I'm waiting the 2-3 weeks for my container to arrive - where am I going to live?

My wife's parents' house is not really big enough for us to stay there until we get a rental apartment. Is there something designed for people in our situation, i.e. a really short term apartment rental or a sizeable discount on a hotel. How did you all do it?

I'm also worrying about the rental too, presumably like here they will credit check us? I will of course have zero credit history and my wife has some problems on hers. Should I be worrying about that?
There are quite a few hotel chains that do extended stay suites. Hubby's company put us with Oakwood when we came, these are the more expensive I believe as they deal with alot of Corporate relocations.

http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/
http://www.marriott.com/towneplace-suites/travel.mi
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cw/1/en/home
http://www.hawthorn.com/Hawthorn/control/home
http://www.oakwood.com/?source=9474&...FQEKbAodqyUN-w

We rented fairly easily when we came out here. I was just very open and honest that we had no history in the US. I printed our UK Experian credit report (everyone knows who Experian is here, they just use the US company and won't use international), 6 months bank statements from the UK, and our US file to show we didn't have bad credit, just no credit. Plus copy of hubbys offer letter. We got the first house we wanted.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by avanutria View Post
How long will you want someplace temporary?

You can check with local apartment complexes for places that will accept deposits in lieu of minimum income levels and have month-to-month leases - we found one that would do this (though I do have a US credit report) and they also wanted a copy of DH's visa page of his passport. I contacted at least half a dozen before finding this one, so be persistent.

Or you could look for a "long term hotel" which do weekly or longer rates and often have kitchenettes, but these can be expensive.

Depending on where you are going there may even be hostels available, though these are not nearly as popular in the US as they are in Europe.
Great thanks for the info. I guess we'd be looking at a months temp accommodation but I really don't understand yet what's involved in getting a rental property for the longer term. Do we need jobs, provable income etc? I have a fair amount of cash from a business sale that I can show that I have the means to pay the rent, would that be acceptable do you think?

Basically our plans are as follows:

1) Secure short term accommodation day 1.
2) Look for a longer term rental within 1st month hopefully to coincide with container delivery.
3) Go off travelling for a month around the USA.
4) Return to CA and find employment.
5) Purchase a house as soon as my credit score allows us to.

By the way I read your blog a few days ago - really good work and very helpful to someone like me!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post

We rented fairly easily when we came out here. I was just very open and honest that we had no history in the US. I printed our UK Experian credit report (everyone knows who Experian is here, they just use the US company and won't use international), 6 months bank statements from the UK, and our US file to show we didn't have bad credit, just no credit. Plus copy of hubbys offer letter. We got the first house we wanted.
This is really helpful, thank you very much!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Let me ask you a very simple question.

What do you have to do get an apartment in the UK?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Let me ask you a very simple question.

What do you have to do get an apartment in the UK?
Well its been a while but as far as I recall:

1) Credit check, usually done by letting agent.
2) 1 month deposit
3) Bank account for direct debit
4) Signed tenancy agreement

I think that's it?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:30 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For a couple of weeks, a motel? Corporate apartments that are furbished with short term leases?

Look for a private rental, they'll more likely take a larger depsosit over a credit check if you've got the cash, need first/last plus anything up to 3 months worth as a usual deposit, offer more.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
There are quite a few hotel chains that do extended stay suites. Hubby's company put us with Oakwood when we came, these are the more expensive I believe as they deal with alot of Corporate relocations.

http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/
http://www.marriott.com/towneplace-suites/travel.mi
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cw/1/en/home
http://www.hawthorn.com/Hawthorn/control/home
http://www.oakwood.com/?source=9474&...FQEKbAodqyUN-w

Marriott also has Residence Inn brand which is also extended stay, but more upscale then Town Place. But they can be pricey, I worked at one and our rates were 180 to 280 per night for the extended stay rates if staying 7+ days.

We had mostly Military and Corporate guests, few self paying guests.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
For a couple of weeks, a motel? Corporate apartments that are furbished with short term leases?

Look for a private rental, they'll more likely take a larger depsosit over a credit check if you've got the cash, need first/last plus anything up to 3 months worth as a usual deposit, offer more.
Yes my wife warned me about the 3 months deposit, argh. Now then, I've been screwed out of my deposit here in the UK before they put the tenancy deposit protection scheme in. The prospect of having to trust a landlord to refund 3 months worth of rent doesn't sound appealing. Anything to worry about?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Marriott also has Residence Inn brand which is also extended stay, but more upscale then Town Place. But they can be pricey, I worked at one and our rates were 180 to 280 per night for the extended stay rates if staying 7+ days.

We had mostly Military and Corporate guests, few self paying guests.
Heh, yes that does sound expensive.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

How long is it going to be for? If you're on a tight budget, the best thing might be to squeeze in with the in-laws after all.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:44 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior View Post
...Anything to worry about?
yeah, them not paying it back and it not being worth the cost of suing them for it

What happens depends on the state, often the money is put in a bank saving account in both your names and at the end of the lease it gets fully signed over to you, but they're also meant to send you any interest, though often that'll be given at the end of the lease.

Doesn't always work that way, as we're still waiting on our old landlords to give us the deposit back....the arseholes.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

Not sure what your budget is but have you looked at condo communities like this kind of place: http://www.avaloncommunities.com/about-avalon.asp?

A lot of them allow you to apply for a place online so it would be ready for when you arrive. There are a few companies who hire furniture and homewares by the month, like this place: http://www.cort.com/ Which would hopefully sort you out until your containers arrive.

It does all come at a premium - so depending on how long your stuff takes to come, you might find it easier to get a self-catering holiday let.

I'm currently on a week-long trip on the East coast looking for a short-term apartment rental and all the condo communities I've seen so far (5 today!) have said that the credit history thing needn't be an issue, but we will have to put down a full month's rent as a security deposit rather than the $500- $1000 dollar fee they would normally charge. None of them have asked me to pay more than a month's rent in advance.

Good luck with your move!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
How long is it going to be for? If you're on a tight budget, the best thing might be to squeeze in with the in-laws after all.
I agree with Sally. Might be a bit cramped, but am thinking would be more financially advantageous. There are quite a few extended stay hotels, that charge by the week. But..you will pay more depending on what city it is in, and how close in to their *viable* downtown area it is located. The further out from the city one of these extended stay hotels is, might be a little cheaper...but then you have the problem of transportation.
Check the city and surrounding areas where you will be landing for extended stay hotels. You then can call that hotel and make the reservation before you arrive. All depends on how much you want to spend and your transportation needs.

I once spent a few days in a hostel in NYC...I would never do that again! Actually it was a group of us older ladies attending a conference in NYC and we had to go on the cheap. The hostel was filled with exchange students..my group could have all been their grandmothers! The rooms only had beds and a bathroom..that's it. I wouldn't recommend that for more than maybe 2 nights. Just to add...the hostel we stayed at...only accepted students and people from out of state...no resident New Yorkers.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.