Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live temporarily once I step off the plane?

Where to live temporarily once I step off the plane?

Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to live temporarily once I step off the plane?

Originally Posted by jackattack
Here is a link for Craigslist with temporary/short term accommodation in the Bay Area (not sure which part of Northern California you are looking at).

This could be a good place to start although you might need someone with local knowledge to help you with an overview on locations and transportation:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sub/
Thanks to you and Poppy Girl. We're moving to Santa Cruz which is bloody expensive but my wife won't have it any other way so I'm going to have to take the hit. She's lived there all her life with a couple of years in Hawaii to boot (the lucky so and so) and she knows all about the location.

If it was up to me I'd be living in some suburb of San Jose to save a few $$$
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:31 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
Thanks to you and Poppy Girl. We're moving to Santa Cruz which is bloody expensive but my wife won't have it any other way so I'm going to have to take the hit. She's lived there all her life with a couple of years in Hawaii to boot (the lucky so and so) and she knows all about the location.

You will be surprised Santa Cruz is not so upperty as it used to be, Craiglist would most certainly be the best place to look but please be careful alot of the Ads are scams ie the property is not for rental and they have used a photo to lure you in or they want a deposit and when you get here they have fallen off the face of the earth.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You will be surprised Santa Cruz is not so upperty as it used to be, Craiglist would most certainly be the best place to look but please be careful alot of the Ads are scams ie the property is not for rental and they have used a photo to lure you in or they want a deposit and when you get here they have fallen off the face of the earth.
Oh gosh, well I certainly wouldn't be sending someone money ahead of me, unless they were a verifiable operating company, i.e. with professional website.

Just spoke to my wife, she says SC has never been uppity... not in the same way Los Gatos or somewhere like that is. She says people there definitely have money, but they all dress like they're homeless and treat people on a more level pegging, i.e. less snootiness than you'd get in other places.

Where do you reside Poppy Girl?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:42 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gosh, well I certainly wouldn't be sending someone money ahead of me, unless they were a verifiable operating company, i.e. with professional website.

Just spoke to my wife, she says SC has never been uppity... not in the same way Los Gatos or somewhere like that is. She says people there definitely have money, but they all dress like they're homeless and treat people on a more level pegging, i.e. less snootiness than you'd get in other places.

Where do you reside Poppy Girl?
She is right there is money there but they look poor......sadly I live in Modesto but its a great location for work and to get to Tahoe, Reno, San Francisco everything is so close.
I have no idea when you are coming over but if you want I am in Santa Cruz next week I can see if there are any decent property rental company's and send you their info or check a place out if you want to make sure the rental is for real
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

She is right there is money there but they look poor......sadly I live in Modesto but its a great location for work and to get to Tahoe, Reno, San Francisco everything is so close.
I have no idea when you are coming over but if you want I am in Santa Cruz next week I can see if there are any decent property rental company's and send you their info or check a place out if you want to make sure the rental is for real
Wow, thanks for being so kind! As far as I know my wife has done lots and lots of research into our rental over there and her parents live there anyway so I shouldn't need to put you out. Thanks again though.

We are flying May 4th, and our container is arriving tomorrow so I'm putting the house search on hold for a couple of days while we sort ourselves out here. We are lucky that we have an apartment here that about to put up for rent furnished so we're packing up our main house, sending it ahead of us and living in our rental property which I've spent the last few days painting and repairing.

Btw, I just looked on the map and I have to say that Modesto doesn't seem very close to SF! I worked in San Jose for a while and HATED travelling to SF a couple times a week, seemed like such a ball ache... I'm sure you're looking at a 2hr drive or more!?

It's funny that this morning I was dreading the move and now I can't wait. I guess a few beers helps sooth the spirit though
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:40 pm

Wow, thanks for being so kind! As far as I know my wife has done lots and lots of research into our rental over there and her parents live there anyway so I shouldn't need to put you out. Thanks again though.

We are flying May 4th, and our container is arriving tomorrow so I'm putting the house search on hold for a couple of days while we sort ourselves out here. We are lucky that we have an apartment here that about to put up for rent furnished so we're packing up our main house, sending it ahead of us and living in our rental property which I've spent the last few days painting and repairing.

Btw, I just looked on the map and I have to say that Modesto doesn't seem very close to SF! I worked in San Jose for a while and HATED travelling to SF a couple times a week, seemed like such a ball ache... I'm sure you're looking at a 2hr drive or more!?

It's funny that this morning I was dreading the move and now I can't wait. I guess a few beers helps sooth the spirit though
Modesto to SF is just over an hour...normally 1hr 15mins after 9am and before 3pm

San Jose is 1hr 30 mins max.
Tahoe is 3 hours
Reno 3 hrs 15 mins exactly lol.
Sacramento 1 hour believe me I am a road warrior the past few weeks I have had to much to do from my home office, but normally I drive about 800 to 1,000 miles a week easily
Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Modesto to SF is just over an hour...normally 1hr 15mins after 9am and before 3pm

San Jose is 1hr 30 mins max.
Tahoe is 3 hours
Reno 3 hrs 15 mins exactly lol.
Sacramento 1 hour believe me I am a road warrior the past few weeks I have had to much to do from my home office, but normally I drive about 800 to 1,000 miles a week easily
Wow! That's insane. I remember the drive to SF being one hour from SJ, but then I drove mostly at 70 mph. I can't believe you can do that distance from Modesto in 1hr 15. You must have some sort of 'arrangement' with law enforcement!

Thing I found most disconcerting about driving in the US is the concealed cops hiding behind trees.... I'll take the UK speed cameras any day over that.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Santa Cruz on Sunday, first time we have been since we moved here, loved it there, will definately be going down again very soon. I got very burnt though, first time I have been so silly in over 3 years in California.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know my wife has done lots and lots of research into our rental over there and her parents live there anyway so I shouldn't need to put you out.
Aha! Having someone on the ground to visit places is the closest you'll get to a foolproof Craigslist strategy. Definitely explore the sublet option!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:36 pm

Wow! That's insane. I remember the drive to SF being one hour from SJ, but then I drove mostly at 70 mph. I can't believe you can do that distance from Modesto in 1hr 15. You must have some sort of 'arrangement' with law enforcement!

Thing I found most disconcerting about driving in the US is the concealed cops hiding behind trees.... I'll take the UK speed cameras any day over that.
No not at all SJ to SF is way busy and I only have to get over the Altamomont and straight in more or less its a doddle.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Ha. When I first moved to the US (in 2003), we lived in Santa Cruz!

Then I got a job in SF and the commute was killing me, working crazy long hours and nearly falling asleep on 17 every day. We lived in the Seabright neighbourhood near the marina and loved it.

From memory I think that we paid $1800 per month for a nice, relatively new 2 bed house with very small backyard but great decks and one block from the beach. We found it by driving around and checking out 'for rent' signs; way back then we didn't find many (any?) good agencies specializing in rentals without charging a fortune. Everything's probably changed since then though.

Timing may be with you however since there is probably a lot of student housing that might be empty during the summer while the students head back home. Beware though, some of the rentals we looked at weren't even suitable for rats. Yuk yuk yuk
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:44 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Marriott also has Residence Inn brand which is also extended stay, but more upscale then Town Place. But they can be pricey, I worked at one and our rates were 180 to 280 per night for the extended stay rates if staying 7+ days.

We had mostly Military and Corporate guests, few self paying guests.
I worked at a Residence Inn in NYC. Thye are definately no bargain.