Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live in LA with a family?!

Where to live in LA with a family?!

Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in LA with a family?!

There is a website (sorry I can't recall name) that has public information about the percentage of children that receive free school lunches and breakfasts at each school. Helps with the general demographic of the area that the schools serve. I believe you can find it through a realtor.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Los Angeles walk scores can be found here and here.

Also, some areas may have very walkable areas in them but overall are not very walkable. My zip-code in Los Feliz is an example.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 20th 2014 at 5:16 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Where do they eat and shop then? Do the residential areas all have restaurants and clothes shops?
No, zoning doesn't allow it
Montana Ave. is a good start
Main St. in Ocean Park is another

Surprisingly good description of Santa Monica neighborhoods which also addresses some of OP's concerns including schools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Monica_neighborhoods

Also bear in mind - for better or worse - one is always jumping in and out of one's car in LA (no, not a good thing...but that's the way it is when you live here) and is, therefore, never confined to one's immediate neighborhood....residential areas within a given neighborhood are usually too large, steep/hilly - to not need one's car (or bike )just to get to the market...and so you don't even think - is this restaurant in the Palisades or in Santa Monica or in West Hollywood - you just jump in and go.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 6:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
No, zoning doesn't allow it
Montana Ave. is a good start
Main St. in Ocean Park is another

Surprisingly good description of Santa Monica neighborhoods which also addresses some of OP's concerns including schools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Monica_neighborhoods

Also bear in mind - for better or worse - one is always jumping in and out of one's car in LA (no, not a good thing...but that's the way it is when you live here) and is, therefore, never confined to one's immediate neighborhood....residential areas within a given neighborhood are usually too large, steep/hilly - to not need one's car (or bike )just to get to the market...and so you don't even think - is this restaurant in the Palisades or in Santa Monica or in West Hollywood - you just jump in and go.
You don't have to tell me, I lived in LA for 3 years, and having to get in the car all the time was one of the things I hated. It's hard when you have kids as it adds an extra element with the need for outdoor space, and schools. Otherwise I'd have chosen an apartment in No Ho, or similar, where you can walk to things.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to add Westwood to the list of where to look to live in LA.
It's on Westside, borders Brentwood where your husband's partner will be, is 15 min. drive to beach and if you look at streets south of Wilshire Blvd. - you may find something.
It's also good for freeway access (the 405) for you - for going to wherever your film shoot might be - if it's not convenient by surface streets
yes Westwood might be good.

Nicky, I don't find Santa Monica that bad for waiting for restaurants.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Otherwise I'd have chosen an apartment in No Ho, or similar, where you can walk to things.
I spent the first 15 years of my life in Sun Valley followed by seven years in a corner of Sherman Oaks adjacent to Van Nuys and North Hollywood. [I'm counting my military service since my "home of record" was Sherman Oaks]. [On the standard question addressed between native Angelenos, the answer is "Grant."]

So, I'm amused about the use of "Ho Ho."
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
So, I'm amused about the use of "Ho Ho."
Is that where the Green Giant lives?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is that where the Green Giant lives?
No it's an area replete with Asian restaurants
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No it's an area replete with Asian restaurants
Also known as Santa.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:08 pm
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, loving the way this thread is going - i'm trying to get to grips with all the lingo.. Ho Ho? No Ho? aaaah North Hollywood right?

Thank you everyone for such helpful replies, especially MmcD & Folinksy - am looking in Ocean park area now too (also in the catchment for John adams middle)

I think we are going to narrow it to Santa Monica for sure - in the catchment for two middle schools. I've looked on greatschools.org and they both seem to have a good rating.

One thing though, why do the rents go up in the summer? Surely it should stay pretty much the same all year round (we'll be looking at one year minimum lease) Is Santa Monica (or LA) rent controlled at all?

We'll be moving across in mid June - staying with friends while we house hunt and hopefully moving into somewhere early July.

Thank you again!!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some places are rent-controlled, ours was when we lived in Park La Brea. I don't know how it works though.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Lilly77
Ha, loving the way this thread is going - i'm trying to get to grips with all the lingo.. Ho Ho? No Ho? aaaah North Hollywood right?

Thank you everyone for such helpful replies, especially MmcD & Folinksy - am looking in Ocean park area now too (also in the catchment for John adams middle)

I think we are going to narrow it to Santa Monica for sure - in the catchment for two middle schools. I've looked on greatschools.org and they both seem to have a good rating.

One thing though, why do the rents go up in the summer? Surely it should stay pretty much the same all year round (we'll be looking at one year minimum lease) Is Santa Monica (or LA) rent controlled at all?

We'll be moving across in mid June - staying with friends while we house hunt and hopefully moving into somewhere early July.

Thank you again!!
Both Santa Monica and Los Angeles have rent control ordinances ["rent stabalization" in LA speak]. However, that does NOT, at least in the situation of Los Angeles that the new tenant gets the old rent. [My very elderly mother-in-law vacated her apartment last year after 31 years -- the landlord did a dance of joy in that he was able to triple the rent]. Santa Monica used to prohibit vacancy decontrol -- however, that is now limited by state law.

As for why rent goes up in the summer? Short answer -- the beach.

Also, I am of the opinion that it is the parents that count on how well an individual kid does.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 21st 2014 at 6:43 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:42 pm
BE Commentator

Its been some time since my kids were in LAUSD. However, if a LAUSD school is of interest, it is sometimes possible to have attendance out-of-district. I'm not talking about the false "residences" sometimes used, but sometimes, LAUSD may have something not available in the local district. For example, friends who live in Culver City were able to have one of their sons enroll in and attend the Hamilton Music Academy -- in the LAUSD.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

rents go up in the summer because that's when people come to LA in big numbers. Tourists come in for vacation, students in large numbers are looking for housing before the start of the school term, and the LA housing market (which is strangely seasonal for a place with no seasons) always picks up a great deal in the summer.

As others have mentioned, get ready to drive *everywhere* when you move here. It's really by far the worst aspect of living in LA for most people. Learn to deal with it or it will make you miserable. For my first couple of years of living here, I struggled with it - you feel like you have to drive 20 minutes to do anything. But, get out there, LA's a great place, there's tons to do, and with the weather you can do it any day you want - yes, you have to drive 20 minutes to do anything, but actually, you're a 20 minute drive from doing anything you want, whenever you want. I went out on the ocean yesterday fishing, was like a giant swimming pool, 70 degrees - wearing shorts and tshirt, saw seals and dolphins, and caught enough for dinner. We do beaches, zoos, museums, parks, concerts and shows, and I just don't even think about what time of the year it is. On the westside we have about 2-3 bad weeks through the whole year - and that's a mix of a few days of heavy run, and a few days of really hot weather (too hot for my liking).

My 2 cents on Santa Monica - it is busy/touristy right by the coast, 3rd street etc., it can get very busy in those specific areas, but I've never considered it so busy I wouldn't want to live there. I don't live in Santa Monica - but if I could afford to I would! Also, an extra plus for Brits is there are a couple of Brit pubs there, and the Kings Head has a shop attached where you can get everything (well, a lot of things..) you will miss from back home - and trust me, you'll miss more then you might expect, it takes a few months and then suddenly it kicks in...; how do I get a sausage roll? why is all the chocolate crap? there's no oxo? why are all the crisps greasy? what's up with the bacon & sausage here? that's not a biscuit! Many things you just take for granted...

-Matt
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:13 pm
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive heard much about the traffic! In fact it was when we realised we might move to LA that I thought I should learn to drive!! (i passed my test here in London in January!)

Today we've been looking at other schools just out of interest. Topanga canyon has a great school, and places we could afford but it seems MILES from anywhere. I don't think we could do that just yet. When we look on westside rentals there are actually just as many properties under $4k a month in the Palisades as there are in SM. Just a handful though. Did anyone use a realtor when looking to rent? We've signed up to Westside rentals and also are looking on craigslist.

I am beyond excited to move!!!! I lived in Arizona for a year as an exchange student years ago, so I have some idea of living in the US. I felt like I was in a movie with all the accents ;-) haha

Matt aren't there British shops etc?

ALSO a big question, do electricals not work in the US from england?? I have a Vitamix blender that cost me £££ and I think I'd die without my Nespresso machine...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.