Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live if working in San Mateo ca?

Where to live if working in San Mateo ca?

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 5:37 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live if working in San Mateo ca?

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Haha! You'd regret it the mood she's in today, three months old and super stroppy! Don't want to leave you though my lovely friend
...and I don't want you to go
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked Craigslist etc for the house prices? Imho, anything south of San Mateo all the way down to San Jose is 'safe' with the exception of East Palo Alto (although the house prices there are not even that much lower). Look into Foster City too.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:56 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I think even with bonuses we'd be a little less than 180. The thing is, it's not just another job, it's a very exciting opportunity to be on the cutting edge of a new business and potentially very lucrative in the future, so is it worth suffering a bit short term, that's the dilemma. Hohum. Or stay in sunny Texas with no significant prospects but lots of very awesome friends like ChocolateBabz .
It's a tough decision Percentage-wise, how likely is it that the company will relocate?

I don't want to put you off, but if it were a choice between living on the peninsula and staying put where you're happy, I'd stay put. The peninsula cities are a very different prospect to the Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area.

Having said that, I don't know what you, personally, want from a place to live and what your personality is like esp. how easily you make friends. I'm fairly shy but not excruciatingly so, and I was desperately lonely when we lived in Mountain View, Santa Clara, San Jose and Fremont. It's only since we moved to this area that I've become truly happy over here.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

We have been very happy here, but hubs is ready for a change now and we do get itchy feet. For me, it's about the opportunity this presents for him and us, but staying put probably won't happen anyway.

Wintersong, what did you dislike about the peninsula? Why lonely?

I'd say I'm able to make friends pretty easily...we like to live in nice surroundings, I want to feel safe and enjoy my surroundings, we like nice shops, restaurants and ideally some nice scenery. Very family focused....I don't work and will want mom/baby activities. Any help? lol!

Thanks for all the sage advice, you guys rock
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
...and I don't want you to go
Love yoooou xxx
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

We have been very happy here, but hubs is ready for a change now and we do get itchy feet. For me, it's about the opportunity this presents for him and us, but staying put probably won't happen anyway.

I'd say I'm able to make friends pretty easily...we like to live in nice surroundings, I want to feel safe and enjoy my surroundings, we like nice shops, restaurants and ideally some nice scenery. Very family focused....I don't work and will want mom/baby activities. Any help? lol!

I've also found the peninsula quite a lonely place (but I don't have kids and I imagine that will give you a lot of opportunity to meet people in similar circumstances).

The burbs are very family oriented which would be good for you. But for me, looking for people to have beer and evening fun with, it's quite hard. If they are not busy with kids, people work insane hours, and the commutes render people useless during the week.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:23 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

So, with a little hindsight and introspection I'd say that our situations are very different and you would most likely have a much better experience than I did. When we lived in Mt. View and Santa Clara, I'd just moved from the UK and was struggling to cope with a newborn baby, was homesick and 5,000 miles away from my family and terminally ill father. Not the best mental/emotional place from which to start building an active social circle!

Mt. View and Palo Alto have some great restaurants and shops. Burlingame is also nice. Scenery is definitely better in the East Bay, but on the other hand you're much closer to the beach on the peninsula. With school-aged children, meeting people will take much less effort on your part, as you'll be involved in PTA, sports, play dates, extra-curricular activities etc.

Your main problem with the peninsula, I think, is going to be the lack of available homes in your price range. East Bay is cheaper - enough to make it worth paying the daily $5 bridge toll. Fremont's Mission district is worth looking at (awesome schools). Word of caution - beware Hayward and Union City schools!
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
So, with a little hindsight and introspection I'd say that our situations are very different and you would most likely have a much better experience than I did. When we lived in Mt. View and Santa Clara, I'd just moved from the UK and was struggling to cope with a newborn baby, was homesick and 5,000 miles away from my family and terminally ill father. Not the best mental/emotional place from which to start building an active social circle!

Mt. View and Palo Alto have some great restaurants and shops. Burlingame is also nice. Scenery is definitely better in the East Bay, but on the other hand you're much closer to the beach on the peninsula. With school-aged children, meeting people will take much less effort on your part, as you'll be involved in PTA, sports, play dates, extra-curricular activities etc.

Your main problem with the peninsula, I think, is going to be the lack of available homes in your price range. East Bay is cheaper - enough to make it worth paying the daily $5 bridge toll. Fremont's Mission district is worth looking at (awesome schools). Word of caution - beware Hayward and Union City schools!
OK thanks...yes, you're probably right, we have been over here 3 years so we don't have to get used to that aspect. Talking to hubby last night, he is keen on Half Moon Bay area so we will see if the office move is definitely San Mateo. Haven't totally ruled out some of east bay either.

Wintersong, just curious, what are the elementary school hours, and do they wear any kind of uniform or have a dress code?

Thanks again!!
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sherbert
I've also found the peninsula quite a lonely place (but I don't have kids and I imagine that will give you a lot of opportunity to meet people in similar circumstances).

The burbs are very family oriented which would be good for you. But for me, looking for people to have beer and evening fun with, it's quite hard. If they are not busy with kids, people work insane hours, and the commutes render people useless during the week.
Yes, I think you're right, our requirements would be quite different but I'm still very grateful for the general insights!!
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:04 am
Return of bouncing girl!

OK thanks...yes, you're probably right, we have been over here 3 years so we don't have to get used to that aspect. Talking to hubby last night, he is keen on Half Moon Bay area so we will see if the office move is definitely San Mateo. Haven't totally ruled out some of east bay either.

Wintersong, just curious, what are the elementary school hours, and do they wear any kind of uniform or have a dress code?

Thanks again!!
No uniform, typical dress code (mostly aimed at what the girls can't wear on account of it being distracting to the boys )

School hours are variable, but K is half day. At our school it's 8-11.20 for K and 8.15-2.35 for 1-5.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
No uniform, typical dress code (mostly aimed at what the girls can't wear on account of it being distracting to the boys )

School hours are variable, but K is half day. At our school it's 8-11.20 for K and 8.15-2.35 for 1-5.
So our dress code is must wear collared shirts (ie polo shirts) only solid coloured items (no patterns, pictures or logos) and limited colours on trousers / skirts. Same kind of thing?

School day is a bit shorter too, we do 8am - 3pm.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:12 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

So our dress code is must wear collared shirts (ie polo shirts) only solid coloured items (no patterns, pictures or logos) and limited colours on trousers / skirts. Same kind of thing?

School day is a bit shorter too, we do 8am - 3pm.
No - nowhere near as strict! Basically it's anything so long as it's 'school appropriate' - no spaghetti straps, halter tops, bare midriffs, short skirts/shorts, vulgar slogans etc.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my 9 yr old will LOVE that!!!

What would you consider the minimum salary to live on in your area?

Thanks for all the help!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:32 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

That depends on the lifestyle you want

I'd say $150K for a household with kids, assuming you don't want to have to worry too much about budgeting & coupon clipping and you want to be able to afford vacations, flights to UK etc. Our monthly outgoings inc. mortgage & bills are around $7K.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 6:25 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I put this together ages ago for someone looking to move to Mountain View. These are our approx. monthly costs for a family of 3, living in a 4 bed detached house. Based on these, you need a minimum salary of $150k just to cover these costs.

Monthly Annual
Rent 4,500 54,000
Gas/Electric/Water 250 3,000
Internet/TV 130 1,560
Cell Phones 100 1,200
Healthcare 400 4,800
Groceries 600 7,200
Car Insurance 300 3,600
Petrol (inc. Commute) 300 3,600
Rent Insurance 25 300
Clothes 100 1,200
Kids Activities (sport each) 300 3,600
Day-to-Day cash (lunch) 300 3,600
Entertainment: (2 per month)
Eating Out 200 2,400
Cinema 100 1,200
Days Out 200 2,400

7,805 93,660

Pay 12,500 150,000
Taxes 3,750 45,000
401k 583 7,000

Take Home 8,167 98,000

Remaining for 362 4,340
Vacation/Emergencies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.