Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live if working in San Mateo ca?

Where to live if working in San Mateo ca?

Old Feb 4th 2016, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to live if working in San Mateo ca?

Originally Posted by Wintersong
That depends on the lifestyle you want

I'd say $150K for a household with kids, assuming you don't want to have to worry too much about budgeting & coupon clipping and you want to be able to afford vacations, flights to UK etc. Our monthly outgoings inc. mortgage & bills are around $7K.
Awesome, that is reassuring, thank you!!

Old Feb 4th 2016, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
I put this together ages ago for someone looking to move to Mountain View. These are our approx. monthly costs for a family of 3, living in a 4 bed detached house. Based on these, you need a minimum salary of $150k just to cover these costs.

Monthly Annual
Rent 4,500 54,000
Gas/Electric/Water 250 3,000
Internet/TV 130 1,560
Cell Phones 100 1,200
Healthcare 400 4,800
Groceries 600 7,200
Car Insurance 300 3,600
Petrol (inc. Commute) 300 3,600
Rent Insurance 25 300
Clothes 100 1,200
Kids Activities (sport each) 300 3,600
Day-to-Day cash (lunch) 300 3,600
Entertainment: (2 per month)
Eating Out 200 2,400
Cinema 100 1,200
Days Out 200 2,400

7,805 93,660

Pay 12,500 150,000
Taxes 3,750 45,000
401k 583 7,000

Take Home 8,167 98,000

Remaining for 362 4,340
Vacation/Emergencies
Really helpful, thank you so much, that gives me some comfort we won't have to be paupers!!!
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

How flexible can you be with your work hours? I did the Walnut Creek to San Mateo commute for a couple of years (2006-8), and it was tolerable IF ... I didn't leave till after 9am, and didn't head home till after 7pm. At those times it would come in at just about an hour each way. And if I pushed it to leaving home at 10am, and leaving the office at 8pm, it became a 45min drive. Personally, that suited me fine, and the company were OK with it so that's how I handled it.

You can try leaving early also - maybe leaving home around 6am, but - there really isn't a good time to head home during the afternoon - unless you can leave before 2pm.

On the few days they absolutely needed me in the office at, say, 8am or 9am, I was facing a 2 hour nightmare. I ended up finding a local hotel for those odd occasions as I hate being stuck in traffic.

Walnut Creek is fabulous for SF, as you can take BART, but not so good for the Peninsula.

I would be very cautious about Half Moon Bay; the traffic on 92 can be bad. For commute times, you can visit 511.org or simply use google maps - they have a 'Depart at...' feature now.

I'm now having to spend time in Mountain View, and the commute from Walnut Creek is even worse. I've taken a look at housing in the Fremont/Milpitas area, and they are more expensive than Walnut Creek for less accommodation. I would suggest you look in Castro Valley also.

Last edited by Steerpike; Feb 15th 2016 at 6:24 am.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steerpike
How flexible can you be with your work hours? I did the Walnut Creek to San Mateo commute for a couple of years (2006-8), and it was tolerable IF ... I didn't leave till after 9am, and didn't head home till after 7pm. At those times it would come in at just about an hour each way. And if I pushed it to leaving home at 10am, and leaving the office at 8pm, it became a 45min drive. Personally, that suited me fine, and the company were OK with it so that's how I handled it.

You can try leaving early also - maybe leaving home around 6am, but - there really isn't a good time to head home during the afternoon - unless you can leave before 2pm.

On the few days they absolutely needed me in the office at, say, 8am or 9am, I was facing a 2 hour nightmare. I ended up finding a local hotel for those odd occasions as I hate being stuck in traffic.

Walnut Creek is fabulous for SF, as you can take BART, but not so good for the Peninsula.

I would be very cautious about Half Moon Bay; the traffic on 92 can be bad. For commute times, you can visit 511.org or simply use google maps - they have a 'Depart at...' feature now.

I'm now having to spend time in Mountain View, and the commute from Walnut Creek is even worse. I've taken a look at housing in the Fremont/Milpitas area, and they are more expensive than Walnut Creek for less accommodation. I would suggest you look in Castro Valley also.
Thanks so much for the insights. Really useful information. Office move is definitely on, it will be San Carlos. So I think we will look on the peninsula unless it becomes totally unaffordable. Any more thoughts on places to live in that area i.e. it's really nice / for God's sake don't live there. much appreciated!
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:47 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Thanks so much for the insights. Really useful information. Office move is definitely on, it will be San Carlos. So I think we will look on the peninsula unless it becomes totally unaffordable. Any more thoughts on places to live in that area i.e. it's really nice / for God's sake don't live there. much appreciated!
I honestly don't think you're going to get a 4 bed house for $4K/month on the peninsula. My advice would be to go for Fremont area and accept the commute across the bridge - there are two options: San Mateo and Dumbarton bridges. Not sure which (if either) is better, but they're both about equidistant from San Carlos. The only other option is likely to be north San Jose, which I personally wouldn't do for many reasons, not least of which is that the commute up/down 101 is likely to be a lot worse than across the bridge.

In case you didn't already know, steer clear of Milpitas!
Old Feb 16th 2016, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

I honestly don't think you're going to get a 4 bed house for $4K/month on the peninsula. My advice would be to go for Fremont area and accept the commute across the bridge - there are two options: San Mateo and Dumbarton bridges. Not sure which (if either) is better, but they're both about equidistant from San Carlos. The only other option is likely to be north San Jose, which I personally wouldn't do for many reasons, not least of which is that the commute up/down 101 is likely to be a lot worse than across the bridge.

Hey Wintersong! I know, we've reluctantly (as we think it's just obscene!) said we will go to 5k, still peanuts in this locale we know!

We will continue to be open minded and look at wherever is feasible. Definitely do not know the no go areas so that's really useful!

Hubs has accepted job but subject to visas as he's on a non capped h1b right n ow which would not be transferable to new job, talking at green cards with the lawyers so it's unlikely to be before June / July.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:10 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Wintersong! I know, we've reluctantly (as we think it's just obscene!) said we will go to 5k, still peanuts in this locale we know!

We will continue to be open minded and look at wherever is feasible. Definitely do not know the no go areas so that's really useful!

Hubs has accepted job but subject to visas as he's on a non capped h1b right n ow which would not be transferable to new job, talking at green cards with the lawyers so it's unlikely to be before June / July.
Well, the very best of luck with everything!

Burlingame, Menlo Park, San Mateo, San Carlos itself... all are nice areas if you can find a house in your price range. I feel another recce trip in your near future
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that an over-generalization? I've always thought of Milpitas as an undesirable area, but last month we went looking at houses there and there are some very nice areas on the eastern side, east of 680, in the foothills. We drove out to Ed Levin County Park, which looked like a good place to go hiking, and the houses in that area looked decent. I know there's nothing much in the way of a 'town center', but it seemed like a decent, livable place. What shocked me were the prices - seemed more expensive than WC, for a whole lot less. But that's the price people are paying to be closer to the heart of Silicon Valley at the moment. It would cut my commute in half, for example.

The big problem you are facing, of course, is that you want a home for a large family on a single income while a huge percentage of the local workforce are young singles or working couples in need of a 1-bed apartment (like I was, 30 years ago). Facebook's new HQ is just down the road from San Carlos and Google are not much further down; they hire a lot of young kids and I suspect they pay them well. Oracle is a stones throw from San Carlos.

Fremont is, by the way, the Indian hub of the area, and you will find fabulous Indian food there. Also, my favorite Afghan restaurant is in San Carlos - Kabul. I've been known to drive over just for that! (they have a sister restaurant in Burlingame also).
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

San Carlos itself is perfect for family life and a very short commute for the OH. Start your search there. 5k will be incredibly tough for what you want but you might be lucky!
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:34 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Isn't that an over-generalization? I've always thought of Milpitas as an undesirable area, but last month we went looking at houses there and there are some very nice areas on the eastern side, east of 680, in the foothills. We drove out to Ed Levin County Park, which looked like a good place to go hiking, and the houses in that area looked decent. I know there's nothing much in the way of a 'town center', but it seemed like a decent, livable place. What shocked me were the prices - seemed more expensive than WC, for a whole lot less. But that's the price people are paying to be closer to the heart of Silicon Valley at the moment. It would cut my commute in half, for example.

The big problem you are facing, of course, is that you want a home for a large family on a single income while a huge percentage of the local workforce are young singles or working couples in need of a 1-bed apartment (like I was, 30 years ago). Facebook's new HQ is just down the road from San Carlos and Google are not much further down; they hire a lot of young kids and I suspect they pay them well. Oracle is a stones throw from San Carlos.

Fremont is, by the way, the Indian hub of the area, and you will find fabulous Indian food there. Also, my favorite Afghan restaurant is in San Carlos - Kabul. I've been known to drive over just for that! (they have a sister restaurant in Burlingame also).
I'm not sure there's anywhere in Milpitas which is free from the stench of the landfill.

It even has its own Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Milpitas-Od...4981798901816/
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Darn those young folk and their fancy apartments!

Good to know where you can get a good curry though.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I was visiting Houston quite regularly a couple of years back because I had a customer in downtown. Loved the Hilton Americas attached to the conference center and tried to stay there whenever I could. Sometimes the conferences meant that hotel got full though.
Now I'm visiting Dallas (actually Plano) on a regular basis because of another customer.
Good luck with the move. You'll definitely need to compromise either on the accommodation or the commute. We get by just fine on my single income of $150k, but our housing cost is fixed due to the mortgage.
I would not recommend Half Moon Bay unless you truly love the ocean. That single lane road commute is often awful. Plus as others have said, the weather is often not the best. But it is nice to visit.
Take a look at the Tri-Valley (Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon) in the East Bay which is a little further south than Walnut Creek. It typically has the hottest weather in the Bay Area. Lots of lovely scenery, very family oriented with good schools. Nice downtowns for Pleasanton and Livermore. Pleasanton Mothers Club (PMC) is a very active group. Livermore has quite the collection of vineyards (its a mini Napa right on your doorstep). Wente is probably the biggest vineyard. Has a lovely restaurant and hosts shows/bands during the summer.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I was visiting Houston quite regularly a couple of years back because I had a customer in downtown. Loved the Hilton Americas attached to the conference center and tried to stay there whenever I could. Sometimes the conferences meant that hotel got full though.
Now I'm visiting Dallas (actually Plano) on a regular basis because of another customer.
Good luck with the move. You'll definitely need to compromise either on the accommodation or the commute. We get by just fine on my single income of $150k, but our housing cost is fixed due to the mortgage.
I would not recommend Half Moon Bay unless you truly love the ocean. That single lane road commute is often awful. Plus as others have said, the weather is often not the best. But it is nice to visit.
Take a look at the Tri-Valley (Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon) in the East Bay which is a little further south than Walnut Creek. It typically has the hottest weather in the Bay Area. Lots of lovely scenery, very family oriented with good schools. Nice downtowns for Pleasanton and Livermore. Pleasanton Mothers Club (PMC) is a very active group. Livermore has quite the collection of vineyards (its a mini Napa right on your doorstep). Wente is probably the biggest vineyard. Has a lovely restaurant and hosts shows/bands during the summer.
That;s funny, my hubby had a meeting at that hotel last week!

We actually DO love the ocean, but don't want a horrid commute, so that's something to think about. East bay does sound a horrible commute for the most part......lots to consider!
Old Mar 11th 2016, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Another East Bay'er here!

I would be cautious on the commute, simply because Friday's are killers and Monday morning rarely better. That said, I like to compare the traffic here with the traffic in the UK in say Reading, West London and so on - its no way as bad and at least it moves in the US!

I have occasionally had to go to SM from the East Bay and its a good hour. I also have to go to my companies HQ in Palo Alto too, which is also a good hour too - just be warned.

That said, most companies are very reasonable because they know the issues at hand. Therefore they usually allow flexible working times and occasional days at home at the very least. Some even lay on remote offices / landing pads for employees too.

I am a big fan of the East Bay though - been here two years now and like the feel, atmosphere, places and access to everywhere (like Tahoe for example). Yes, its a step away from SF and so on, but the BART is cheap and traffic, while not great, isn't as bad as it could be. Just get those apps on your phone - Waze and the local news / traffic reports / Google Maps - that way you can hope to try and stay ahead a little.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

That's useful.....I was very keen on the east bay, we'll have to decide what the balance should be