Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Florida?

Where to live in Florida?

Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:42 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Florida?

Originally Posted by Samxboy
Winter is beautiful until you realize that the population doubles with 'northern' folk escaping the snow.
Canadians used to piss me off when I lived in Florida, always getting lost, got rear-ended by someone from Québec once.

Now I am one, ha.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:03 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to love in Florida?

Originally Posted by Steve_
The visa to some extent dictates where to live, that's the point though. If you're thinking E-2 and you want to open a Krispy Kreme, well you don't want to do it in Miami where there are fast food franchises on every street corner.

If you're coming on L-1 you're not going to set up your new office in Ocala even though it's a nice place to live, it's not a good location.
The clue is in post #4 - location is irrelevant when it comes to work in this instance. Besides, if requests for additional info had been couched in those pleasant terms I doubt there'd have been an issue
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Catrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am sorry you see it that way, but IMO that was "getting straight to the point", or perhaps "a little blunt". I have seen "rude" before, and that wasn't it.

But if you're looking for "Ra ra ra! Life here is the greatest, come on over! " then you're looking in the wrong place. We are all relatively down to earth, and recognize life in the US for what it is - it is "good" for some of us, and "great" for a few, but even though I am among the happiest and most pro-America members of BE, I would say that there are significant downsides to life in America.
I wasn't necessarily referring to you, as you have given some useful information and given us things to think about, thankyou
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Catrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littledorrit
I know Florida pretty well. I'm moving to Tampa (assuming visa goes ok) in a few weeks.
We are going to Tampa because that's where our friends and family are, but I do think it's a great city. Lots to do - not far to the beach and an hour and half to Orlando. I like that Tampa does have some actual culture... The schools in Tampa are mixed, but South Tampa has excellent schools. The house prices are very steep though. Saint Pete is great (nearby), but the middle and high school are pretty bad. Palm Harbour is nice too.
Saint Augustine also had good schools - it's a cute town with lovely beaches, but is a little quiet for me. Stuart is a great little town - really nice community, ok schools and water everywhere. I'd live there if I could persuade our friends to go there (but they'd never leave Tampa!)
As for the heat - it is crazy hot in the summer months, but we've always just worked around it, getting out early before it gets too hot, spending time in the water and hiding indoors in the afternoons.
I like that people are pretty laid back and don't take themselves too seriously.

Thank you very much for the info, schools are very important and need to do a lot of research on this!
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Thankyou everybody. There is a lot of information for us to think about and to start researching before we come over, and have more of an idea of where to look as it is such a big place, there are some very helpful points
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

littledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I spent a lot of time in New Jersey before I moved. I soon found out that visiting and living in the US are two entirely different animals.
Yeah - I should have mentioned that I have lived in Florida before. So I'm actually going through this visa process for the second time. I lived there for a few years but gave my green card back and retuned to the Uk. So I am very much going with my eyes wide open.
The reality of being there is obviously different than vacations. But I lived in Cornwall for a while - and same could be said for that. People would move from
London - and then quickly realise there were no jobs, the Cornish are a tricky bunch (I'm Cornish so I can say that!) and there are terrible levels of deprivation...
(Actually a lot like Florida!)
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littledorrit
Yeah - I should have mentioned that I have lived in Florida before. So I'm actually going through this visa process for the second time. I lived there for a few years but gave my green card back and retuned to the Uk. So I am very much going with my eyes wide open.
The reality of being there is obviously different than vacations. But I lived in Cornwall for a while - and same could be said for that. People would move from
London - and then quickly realise there were no jobs, the Cornish are a tricky bunch (I'm Cornish so I can say that!) and there are terrible levels of deprivation...
(Actually a lot like Florida!)
Cornish and moving to Florida. Snap!
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catrina
Thankyou everybody. There is a lot of information for us to think about and to start researching before we come over, and have more of an idea of where to look as it is such a big place, there are some very helpful points
I thought we were not to discuss that or how.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
37? I never used to find the temperature to be that big of a problem, everywhere has AC.
Hmmm... depends on daily way of life, I think. My husband used to think this in AZ, this notion of 'meh, it's not so bad, you just go from your AC house to your AC car to your AC office'.

And then he was laid off, and spent last summer out of work. He soon discovered that my experience of AZ summers was VASTLY different to his, and that the heat becomes very, very old after weeks and months of doing gardening and house maintenance when it's already in the 90s at 5am, trying to stop the groceries melting in the car boot, trying to stop bored kids losing their minds during summer break. It was interestingly illuminating for him.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

littledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RainyDays
Cornish and moving to Florida. Snap!
Awesome! Where in Florida will you be?
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:53 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Again, why Florida? If you don't have to be somewhere specific in Florida for work, you probably don't have to be in Florida at all. Speaking purely for myself, I'd probably choose at least 40 other states and a couple of territories before I chose Florida. If Florida is really your thing, tell us why so that those who know the place can give you better advice.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 1:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
.... If Florida is really your thing, tell us why so that those who know the place can give you better advice.
She already said, ".... and within maybe 1.5 hours of Orlando."

How about Golden Oak?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 4th 2016 at 1:15 am.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Well we live in the north east on the St. Johns River. We like it lots.
Sure it’s hot and humid but you get used to it. Being on the river, the bugs are a problem at times and so are the gators; one 11 footer took our neighbors 85lb Rottweiler cross recently.
Bass fishing is great. Beaches are great.
Cops are plentiful and very friendly if that appeals.
The roads are pretty clear and well maintained; it does get a bit crazy near some larger towns like Jacksonville though.
Having said our FL praises, we are selling-up to buy a RV to go walkabout around the mid-west.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 11:02 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

oh god .. dumb as rocks
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

How about Golden Oak?
I looked at some of those lovely homes at Golden Oak and honestly, they're all more home than I need now. Two powder rooms? A "wine room?" Still, you get more for your $2,000,000 than you would in New York City....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.