Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Florida?

Where to live in Florida?

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Florida?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
People seem to overlook what is pleasant/tolerable/ surprising for a fortnights holiday becomes tiresome after several months, every year.

It was a shock for me when I first experienced the heat of midsummer, when I left the house around 7am and it was already 27°C and heading for 37°C+ by late afternoon. Thankfully we only get such temperatures during July and August, (we are 500 miles north of Orlando) and not every day, but I am always thankful when things start to cool off in September.
27-37C? Pfft, that's our night time temperature here. We are predicted a high of 118F on Saturday (48C). They say it's a dry heat but at a certain point it doesn't matter.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
27-37C? Pfft, that's our night time temperature here. We are predicted a high of 118F on Saturday (48C). They say it's a dry heat but at a certain point it doesn't matter.
Yeah, well that is one of several reasons why I live where I do, not Arizona, or for that matter, Florida.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Catrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond reputeCatrina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi Catrina and welcome to BE.

I'm sorry you feel you've been given a hard time. In fairness to our members we get dozens of posts similar to yours every week. Most dream of moving to the land of The Mouse. Unfortunately for most a dream is all it will ever be. Many of our members have been answering such questions for years...for some over a decade. So please forgive us if before giving advice about moving to Florida...we wish to establish what visa you will have.
I wouldn't say that is any excuse for rudeness. If people are fed up then I would suggest keep scrolling, as their comments are entirely useless and a waste of everybody's time.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catrina
I wouldn't say that is any excuse for rudeness. If people are fed up then I would suggest keep scrolling, as their comments are entirely useless and a waste of everybody's time.
I am sorry you see it that way, but IMO that was "getting straight to the point", or perhaps "a little blunt". I have seen "rude" before, and that wasn't it.

But if you're looking for "Ra ra ra! Life here is the greatest, come on over! " then you're looking in the wrong place. We are all relatively down to earth, and recognize life in the US for what it is - it is "good" for some of us, and "great" for a few, but even though I am among the happiest and most pro-America members of BE, I would say that there are significant downsides to life in America.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 2nd 2016 at 10:58 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

littledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond reputelittledorrit has a reputation beyond repute

I know Florida pretty well. I'm moving to Tampa (assuming visa goes ok) in a few weeks.
We are going to Tampa because that's where our friends and family are, but I do think it's a great city. Lots to do - not far to the beach and an hour and half to Orlando. I like that Tampa does have some actual culture... The schools in Tampa are mixed, but South Tampa has excellent schools. The house prices are very steep though. Saint Pete is great (nearby), but the middle and high school are pretty bad. Palm Harbour is nice too.
Saint Augustine also had good schools - it's a cute town with lovely beaches, but is a little quiet for me. Stuart is a great little town - really nice community, ok schools and water everywhere. I'd live there if I could persuade our friends to go there (but they'd never leave Tampa!)
As for the heat - it is crazy hot in the summer months, but we've always just worked around it, getting out early before it gets too hot, spending time in the water and hiding indoors in the afternoons.
I like that people are pretty laid back and don't take themselves too seriously.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to love in Florida?

Lol. You are making an awful lot of incorrect assumptions there that you have no knowledge about! As i have said previously, visa is not what i am asking for advice on!
Well the quality of advice you get will be based on the quality of info you product.

Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

To ask questions about moving to the US if you don't have a cat in hells chance of getting a visa is also a waste of everyone's time. As I have tried to explain...that happens time and time again with alarming regularity. That's the reason our members ask about the visa.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littledorrit
I know Florida pretty well. I'm moving to Tampa (assuming visa goes ok) in a few weeks.
We are going to Tampa because that's where our friends and family are, but I do think it's a great city. Lots to do - not far to the beach and an hour and half to Orlando. I like that Tampa does have some actual culture... The schools in Tampa are mixed, but South Tampa has excellent schools. The house prices are very steep though. Saint Pete is great (nearby), but the middle and high school are pretty bad. Palm Harbour is nice too.
Saint Augustine also had good schools - it's a cute town with lovely beaches, but is a little quiet for me. Stuart is a great little town - really nice community, ok schools and water everywhere. I'd live there if I could persuade our friends to go there (but they'd never leave Tampa!)
As for the heat - it is crazy hot in the summer months, but we've always just worked around it, getting out early before it gets too hot, spending time in the water and hiding indoors in the afternoons.
I like that people are pretty laid back and don't take themselves too seriously.
I spent a lot of time in New Jersey before I moved. I soon found out that visiting and living in the US are two entirely different animals.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I spent a lot of time in New Jersey before I moved. I soon found out that visiting and living in the US are two entirely different animals.
Hear, hear . 👍🏼
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:22 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Safety Harbor.
Posted in a good thread about my area.
posted this

Last edited by RICH; Jun 2nd 2016 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 2:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Florida? Lots of other places to consider that may be a better fit.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

We've recently relocated to North Port in Sarasota County. Nice place, with decent property prices, good schools ( by all accounts), not far to some of the best gulf beaches, far enough inland to be safe from hurricanes, although the odd twister touches down now and again. Close to Venice, Ft Myers, great dining and good weather.
Saying that Summer is very hot, until you get used to it. Winter is beautiful until you realize that the population doubles with 'northern' folk escaping the snow.
We've lived in New York, Chicago and now Florida. Each has it's own attractions.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

If you have kids then start by finding an area with good schools.

Have you looked at greatschools.org?

Also various newspapers rank US schools eg
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/florida

Might help you find some areas to focus on. Best in mind that charter and magnet schools might be tough to get into.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to love in Florida?

Originally Posted by Wintersong
The OP specifically said they're speaking with a lawyer about visas, so why not let her and her husband worry about that and just proceed to answer the question she has asked? Quite honestly, the responses so far have been really quite rude.
The visa to some extent dictates where to live, that's the point though. If you're thinking E-2 and you want to open a Krispy Kreme, well you don't want to do it in Miami where there are fast food franchises on every street corner.

If you're coming on L-1 you're not going to set up your new office in Ocala even though it's a nice place to live, it's not a good location.

Anyway having lived in Florida for many years my view is the further north the better because living in Florida is like living in a massive cul-de-sac, anytime you want to go anywhere you either have to fly or drive a silly distance. Also, southern Florida is starting to have serious problems with water levels.

So I would say anywhere from greater Orlando northward excluding Jacksonville. Also depends on whether you want urban or rural. Also depends on whether you're okay having a zillion tourists around you at any given moment.

If you want a really nice place to live, imo the coast south of Tallahassee is the nicest because it's the only nice place that hasn't been ruined by development and/or tourists.

The east coast gets hurricanes quite often which are no fun, the west coast does too but they tend to not be as powerful.

Yeah places like Naples are nice but they're full of endless condos filled with retirees. Most of Florida frankly is full of endless condos filled with retirees which is why healthcare is such big business in Florida. Find the right balance. Miami as far as I'm concerned was ruined in the last real estate boom, too many high rise condos now. Broward is also very crowded. Get into Palm Beach and it's not quite as bad.

For example I really like St. Augustine but it is a hell of a tourist trap. Tampa is better than Jacksonville but it does have some seriously crappy bits. I wouldn't mind living in St. Pete though.

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 3rd 2016 at 4:29 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, well that is one of several reasons why I live where I do, not Arizona, or for that matter, Florida.
37? That's rare in Florida, it's subtropical, so it's warm but it's not scorching hot like Phoenix. I never used to find the temperature to be that big of a problem, everywhere has AC.

The weather problems are the rain and the humidity. And the lightning. My car was struck by lightning while I was sitting in it, I had just got into it and shut the door, that was a close call.

In Phoenix though you can't escape the heat in summer, you need to go to California or a get a condo in Flagstaff. No AC can keep on top of that heat, even if you get your house insulated really well, you have to go out sometime.

And I agree about the difference in visiting and living there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.