Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where fits my criteria in the USA?

Wikiposts

Where fits my criteria in the USA?

Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of
Default Where fits my criteria in the USA?

Hi,

Say I did decide to live in the U.S.A. (yes i know it's far from easy but ignore this for now..)

I would want this:

1) Good house. 3-4 bedrooms. Big garden. Maximum $300,000. Near schools. Kind of semi rural. Not in a city but not in the sticks either.

2) I hate extreme heat. Must have cold, snowy winters.

3) Great area for children (the whole of the USA seems to fit this really)

I have been to Chicago many times I love it....A bit too "city life" for me. But generally it's nice.

Anywhere better than this that fits my criteria?

Thx
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where fits my criteria in the USA?

There's nowhere in the USA (with the possible exception of Alaska - and I presume you don't want to go there!) that isn't very hot in the summer.

If you want snowy winters most places except the south will give you that. I live in Southern Ohio (about half way down the US north to south) and we had plenty of snow last winter.

On another note, you are starting various threads and asking us to 'ignore how I am going to get there'. You should not delude yourself and address this first, before you get your mind set on moving. The USA is the hardest country in the world to get into, sorting this out is your first step, not a step that you think you can bat aside easily later.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

ok thx I wondered how long that would take...I AM FULLY AWARE BELIVE ME..THX I do not want to get into another discussion about this or I would ahve asked...

Thx anyway.

On another note, you are starting various threads and asking us to 'ignore how I am going to get there'. You should not delude yourself and address this first, before you get your mind set on moving. The USA is the hardest country in the world to get into, sorting this out is your first step, not a step that you think you can bat aside easily later.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Cachad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crusheduk
Hi,

Say I did decide to live in the U.S.A. (yes i know it's far from easy but ignore this for now..)

I would want this:

1) Good house. 3-4 bedrooms. Big garden. Maximum $300,000. Near schools. Kind of semi rural. Not in a city but not in the sticks either.

2) I hate extreme heat. Must have cold, snowy winters.

3) Great area for children (the whole of the USA seems to fit this really)

I have been to Chicago many times I love it....A bit too "city life" for me. But generally it's nice.

Anywhere better than this that fits my criteria?

Thx
Crush,

How about Minnesota? reasonable cost of living and decent place to raise a child. There are also the carolinas which have cool winters and are decent, Pennsylvania has some beautiful towns and snow and then there is culpepper va named one of the best towns to live in. It's rather nice and not too far away from things like decent restaurants. If You really want Your money to go far upstate Michigan has some fantastic deals on homes and a reasonable cost of living. What sounds like your ideal town would be charlotsville VA. Its a quite hip town (settled by the likes of John Gresham) near some VERY nice schools) Everything you could possibly need or want is there and if you want to be in the city its about an hour to Washington DC.

Hope this helps. Btw the "i'm not getting into it" statements can be read as rather inflammatory perhaps editing your posts would get more helpful responses?

Cachad

Last edited by Cachad; Jun 21st 2009 at 1:41 am.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're cruising for a place to live that is utopia. Suggest that you hit the net, which you work in daily apparently, and do a search for a site that will give you cost of living stats. From there narrow down the states you are interested in and then research each one by looking at their demographics, schools, average yearly temps, etc. and then when you have narrowed that down, go to the city data site and check out the areas you have selected.

Other than taking the time to compile your list of desires, you are asking others to do that work for you.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wisconsin can give you colder snowy winters, rural areas but still close to both Milwaukee and Chicago.

I lived in Milwaukee for 2 summers and while a little warm it wasn't say horrible daily, there were heatwaves but all 48 lower states will give you those in summer.

Maine maybe but I've never been there, or another New England state?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

ok thx....yes I have been looking there...

How about Minnesota? reasonable cost of living and decent place to raise a child.
Thanks again.... Whether or not I even try is another matter. Have to do it soon or never.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

No not at all. I simply wanted to create a list of say 10 states that fitted my criteria then i would do the looknig in. Figures you guys/gals who live there would know if your state fitted my criteria. That's all. Thx

Other than taking the time to compile your list of desires, you are asking others to do that work for you.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
There's nowhere in the USA (with the possible exception of Alaska - and I presume you don't want to go there!) that isn't very hot in the summer.
Well, apart from where I live
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No not at all. I simply wanted to create a list of say 10 states that fitted my criteria then i would do the looknig in. Figures you guys/gals who live there would know if your state fitted my criteria. That's all. Thx
It's a mute point now...like you said in your other thread 'Whether I could ever get a visa for the U.S.A. is highly doubtful..so I guess I am stuck in the UK..'. Although it would have saved a lot of time if you'd said that in the first place.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your posted criteria are not narrow enough; you could find that in almost any state in the country.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The Minneapolis/Saint Paul Minnesota area has reasonable housing costs (but by no means cheap) but the winters are very cold and the summers are hot and muggy with many mosquitos.

Except for the hot summers (but very low humidity) and no snow (but you can get to the snow in a reasonable period of time in the winter), Sacramento. CA has reasonable housing costs and is a nice place to live. The city is large enough that you'll probably be able to find employment and you can always go to South Lake Tahoe in about 2 hours during the winters.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well, apart from where I live
SanFran isn't hot in the summer?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
SanFran isn't hot in the summer?
Nope. If you go, wear flowers in your hair, but a windbreaker on your back.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Eastern coast of Maine would fit that bill as the coast would knock the humidity down a bit in the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.