Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do you vacation?

Where do you vacation?

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all
Default Where do you vacation?

Where do you live and where do you vacation? Would you recommend where you live as a place to holiday? Are there any hidden gems you know about? Have you gotten to see much while you've been here? Questions, questions...

I live in WI and can recommend Door County as a beautiful place to visit. Just got back from Vegas and had a side trip to Death Valley, which just blew me away. I love Chicago as far as big cities. Really want to see Yellowstone and the Smokies...
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:59 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you vacation?

I dont vacation in the US anymore, as after 20 years of travel for work Ive been to most places although I would like to see Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. We usually go back to England or China (homes) but this year we are going to Aruba in the spring (thank you time share people ) and somewhere in Europe in the summer. Im thinking Germany, but Ive never been. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
I dont vacation in the US anymore, as after 20 years of travel for work Ive been to most places although I would like to see Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. We usually go back to England or China (homes) but this year we are going to Aruba in the spring (thank you time share people ) and somewhere in Europe in the summer. Im thinking Germany, but Ive never been. Any thoughts?
if you do germany mate stick to either the Rhineland or down south in either the "Schwarzwild" (Black forest) or Bavaria around Munich and do a day trip to Vienna. Avoid the north unless you like the idea of Berlin.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Hmm. As far as European city breaks--Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Barcelona, etc. Never been to Germany either...never really appealed to me for some reason. I always wanted to go Greek Island hopping, and regret never doing that before I left.

So where in the US do you recommend?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:07 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YorkshirePudding
Hmm. As far as European city breaks--Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Barcelona, etc. Never been to Germany either...never really appealed to me for some reason. I always wanted to go Greek Island hopping, and regret never doing that before I left.

My favorites are San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago and for Scenery West Virginia. My least faves are the concrete and stell cities with no character such as Dallas, Atlanta etc.....
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:16 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live and where do you vacation? Would you recommend where you live as a place to holiday? Are there any hidden gems you know about? Have you gotten to see much while you've been here? Questions, questions...

I live in WI and can recommend Door County as a beautiful place to visit. Just got back from Vegas and had a side trip to Death Valley, which just blew me away. I love Chicago as far as big cities. Really want to see Yellowstone and the Smokies...
I love red rock country out west: Moab, UT (Arches and Canyonlands NPs), Page, AZ (Antelope Canyon and Lake Powell), Bryce Canyon and Zion NPs, Sedona...

Also partial to Southern AZ with its 50ft cacti! Saguaro NP near Tucson is great for this.

For cities it'd have to be San Fran, Portland OR (and the wonderful coastline in-between) or San Diego.

More local to me, Martha's Vineyard's great - and we also pop up to Canada quite often (Montreal and Quebec City are both lovely places).

Yet to visit Nantucket and Novia Scotia - both of which are on next year's potential list.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
I love red rock country out west: Moab, UT (Arches and Canyonlands NPs), Page, AZ (Antelope Canyon and Lake Powell), Bryce Canyon and Zion NPs, Sedona...

Also partial to Southern AZ with its 50ft cacti! Saguaro NP near Tucson is great for this.

For cities it'd have to be San Fran, Portland OR (and the wonderful coastline in-between) or San Diego.

More local to me, Martha's Vineyard's great - and we also pop up to Canada quite often (Montreal and Quebec City are both lovely places).

Yet to visit Nantucket and Novia Scotia - both of which are on next year's potential list.
Yeah, I really want to go to Utahs NP's. I could make a vacation out of Death Valley alone though.

Montreal looks really nice
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hawaii is a good vacation, and it is one place that most Brits don't get to because it is so far away. I still think a cross country drive is a worthwhile event, in part because you see a part of America that simply isn't touristy.

And I actually liked Berlin. Kind of modern, hints of the old, some neat history. The Checkpoint Charlie museum was a great visit, and they have some great Vietnamese food in Berlin as well (loads of N. Vietnamese were imported by the East Germans).
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:59 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I love the west coast. San Diego, Seattle, and Portland, OR are my favorites. I really like going to the Oregon coastline and seeing the rugged coast line. On the east coast it's Washington, D.C. (my hometown), Williamsburg, VA, and Orlando (Disney World). I love the DC area because there's soo much to do in so little time. I also love Chicago. Chicago is great in the summer, June, when they have 'The Taste'. It's also great during the Christmas holiday. I love it when it snows and the shops and streets are bustling.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:43 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

And I actually liked Berlin. Kind of modern, hints of the old, some neat history. The Checkpoint Charlie museum was a great visit, and they have some great Vietnamese food in Berlin as well (loads of N. Vietnamese were imported by the East Germans).
I like Berlin too but not as much as Munich.. I must say that Germans are very friendly and always helpful and super efficient. I did quite a lot of research in Germany for my studies and it was a pleasure to work with them

For city breaks in Europe I'd add Venice, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Geneva..

I haven't traveled much around the US but I live in CO and I can highly recommend it.. If you like mountains this place is stunning anywhere you go and UT is just next door..
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

made in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant future

i,ve always liked visiting charlston SC lots to see,good southern food and south beach Miami is also alot of fun
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:23 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

In Europe ...Carcassonne ....Bruges.....Amsterdam.....Florence.....Dubrovni k...

No idea in the USA always wanted to go to Vegas though ....maybe spend some time in New York ....somewhere with pubs, busty barmaids and good food
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Mass....I can't afford a holiday, so I slob around home or drive up to Maine.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:15 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I live in Mass....I can't afford a holiday, so I slob around home or drive up to Maine.
Having a monthly paycheck doesn't help?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
if you do germany mate stick to either the Rhineland or down south in either the "Schwarzwild" (Black forest) or Bavaria around Munich and do a day trip to Vienna. Avoid the north unless you like the idea of Berlin.
I second that, lovely country...though do Vienna in spring, less busy and nice time of year...Salzburg is a nice weekend trip too...but the trains aren't to bad, then hope down to the alps and nothern Italy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.