Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do you keep your green card

Where do you keep your green card

Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you keep your green card

Originally Posted by chriswinter
In this day and age...I keep it with me at all times. Right along with my driver's license.
Still not sure what "in this day and age" means?

What with the price of gas...
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:33 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I keep mine in my wallet as that's the only place I won't lose it. Everything else I've put away in a safe place must eaten by goblins because I can never find them again.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

What with the price of gas...
I live in America "in this day and age"...where do you live??
Homeland Security, Big Bro...whatever you want to call it these days. I learned my lesson, back in 1999. Then I never carried around my PR card..had gone to Soc. Sec to ask a question. Very first question the SS guy asked me..."May I see your Green Card, please"? He then went on to lecture me about the law and my PR card. I never carried it with me back then, but I sure do today.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcuz
Thanks for the helpful comment. Its nice to see a helpful answer rather than the sarcastic ones written by the moderators of this forum.

Moderators are people and posters and your subject has been discussed infinitively.

You asked for reality. She was commenting on what the law says and realized your wanted reality instead.

No one replied to you sarcastically. Meauxna was having fun as were the others who you choose not to single out.

Get real.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They're the worst.

Of course we are. It is part of the testing before employment contracts are signed.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
"now" ...
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

I keep my green card in my wallet, along with my other cards. I'd hate to lose it but it's the law to carry it with you at all times, according to USCIS. I know many people don't carry their green card with them at all, but I'd rather have mine if I need it than not.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I only ever carried mine if I was travelling abroad - or far from home within the US. Otherwise it was hidden away at home. I got to hand it back a few years ago when I became a US citizen.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:55 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks to the law - I keep mine stashed safely at home where there's much less chance of me losing it. And my wallet is a millimeter thinner. Hey, I win twice!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:11 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Bollocks to the law - I keep mine stashed safely at home where there's much less chance of me losing it. And my wallet is a millimeter thinner. Hey, I win twice!
absolutely.

I've lived here 10 years and never ever been asked to show it to anyone other than when getting a new job or to get in the country.

I don't think I'll ever need to show my greencard when hiking through the woods or nipping out to pick up a chinese takeaway.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I carry a photocopy and I have produced it 3 times when requested
ant the only comment was good idea when I told them the replacment
price ..which was a lot less than the current $450 ..a non carry finew would not be that much if any
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:23 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in the camp of people who carries mine (not that I've had it long) for two reasons. Firstly, I haven't ever lost a wallet (touch wood) and generally feel things are safer on my person than anywhere else. Secondly, it's the law and even though it doesn't seem like there's much enthusiasm for enforcement, I'd rather not break it just for the sake of not carrying a card.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
It's the law to carry it at all times. So it's in my wallet.

I keep a digital scan, suitably encrypted, in several virtual locations should I need a copy of it if it got lost or stolen.
Good idea.
How do you encrypt?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I'm in the camp of people who carries mine (not that I've had it long) for two reasons. Firstly, I haven't ever lost a wallet (touch wood) and generally feel things are safer on my person than anywhere else. Secondly, it's the law and even though it doesn't seem like there's much enthusiasm for enforcement, I'd rather not break it just for the sake of not carrying a card.
+1. Now I will probably lose mine tomorrow
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos to those who've never lost a wallet.

Last summer I had my wallet stollen twice within 1 week. First a mid week day walking down a busy street in Manhattan, I enter a shop to buy something open my bag, and it's gone. Within the 1 hr it took for me to wait for policemen to arrive, talk to the shop for their security cameras and return to my office to call banks to cancel cards, the thieves had racked up app $4000 on my cards. Then 4 days later, on a Saturday, strolling in an open market again in Manhattan, another wallet got stolen out of my bag. But this time since I had no more cards, all I lost was the $40 cash and a beloved wallet. Well, the banks didn't hold me for the charges and I can forget the cash and the hassle of replacing the IDs, but I'm still sore about the 2 wallets. The first was a present from a dear friend, and the 2nd was one I'd bought years ago, and I liked it so much I hadn't been even using it, just keeping it - until I had to.

OK - sorry for the rant.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Kudos to those who've never lost a wallet.

Last summer I had my wallet stollen twice within 1 week. First a mid week day walking down a busy street in Manhattan, I enter a shop to buy something open my bag, and it's gone. Within the 1 hr it took for me to wait for policemen to arrive, talk to the shop for their security cameras and return to my office to call banks to cancel cards, the thieves had racked up app $4000 on my cards. Then 4 days later, on a Saturday, strolling in an open market again in Manhattan, another wallet got stolen out of my bag. But this time since I had no more cards, all I lost was the $40 cash and a beloved wallet. Well, the banks didn't hold me for the charges and I can forget the cash and the hassle of replacing the IDs, but I'm still sore about the 2 wallets. The first was a present from a dear friend, and the 2nd was one I'd bought years ago, and I liked it so much I hadn't been even using it, just keeping it - until I had to.

OK - sorry for the rant.
I always use Coach wristlet for a purse. I unfasten the wrist strap and clip it onto the inside of my handbag...that way it can't be removed easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.