Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do you go on holiday ?

Where do you go on holiday ?

Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:48 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do you go on holiday ?

Originally Posted by clydegirl
What about the Outer Banks North Carolina. We have been twice and rented a house with some friends. Fantastic beaches and lots to do.
Talk to a few here who say the outer banks are excellent and a good choice. Dont reccomend the beaches here as its mostly shipbuilding but if you go up and across the HRBBT (big freaking bridge) which connects to the Delmarva penninsula, there are some really nice campgrounds. You can rent cabins and all that.

If you just want water and it doen't have to be at an ocean, what about the lakes in NY? The Adirondacks are knockout for driving, walking (pushing strollers), sightseeing and there are numerous lakes like Sacandaga and Long Lake made famous in the Last of the Mohicans......avoid the town of Lake George tho.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
I thought the OP was asking about a beach vacation. Does Maine have good beaches?
well...errr...yeah....coastal state and all...

the water might be a tad tart to go swimming in though, but there's plenty of cheap stuff to do as a tourist
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mallory
Myrtle Beach, SC is great for kids. Reasonable prices. Lots of sun. Warm ocean.
We stayed at the Best Western in Myrtle Beach and it was so disgusting even the cockroaches were gagging....we left after one night of a four night trip, and the kids were overjoyed to be going home!!!

Not the best trip we've ever had...the beach is ok though.....
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Where do you go on holiday ?

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
We are looking for a nice family holiday whilst the kids are off for summer, We cant afford too much but I want it to be as relaxing as possible (we have 3 small children so its not going to be too relaxing), I am looking at beach resorts in the US as well as the carribean.

We live in Colorado and not had a minute since we arrived last october,

Somewhere nice with kids club, beach and lots of sunshine.

Would love to do Disney but kids not old enough to appreciate it yet so maybe in a couple of years.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Well we live in Holiday, so we are always on holiday

Seriously though, generally we like New England, and try to get one of the New England states every year. This year we will be in the Vermont area, visiting family and friends, visiting Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, and maybe New York state too if we have the time.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:32 pm
The OC

MancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really nice

Southern California might be a nice idea. Disneyland is still a great place to visit for young kids. Some small rides in there like, Pinocchio adventure, Flying Dumbo etc. My son Ryan started going at age 2.

I wouldn’t dismiss the drive either. I did the drive in the opposite direction last summer. We drove from Orange County to Lakewood, CO over three days. It was a beautiful drive. The scenery through the different states is amazing. My kids were 4 and six at the time and they loved having the time with mum and Dad in the car. A DVD player also helped
We stopped at Vegas on the way and took the kids to Circus Circus for the carnival rides, and to see the dolphins at Mirage. Then the next morning we went through the Rockies, to Glenwood springs. We spent a night and one day there.
On the way back we stopped at Fruita, just outside Grand Junction for the Dinosaur museum. The museum was OK but only about 90 minutes entertainment. Then another stop in Vegas.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:52 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to do a road trip this year but the miseries I live with said no.

So we are going to Captiva in Florida. It looks lovely and it will be our first relaxing holiday since we moved here 18 months ago.
Only going for a week but I am really looking forward to it.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
So we are going to Captiva in Florida. It looks lovely and it will be our first relaxing holiday since we moved here 18 months ago.
Careful... your getting a bit close to me !!!!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:25 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Careful... your getting a bit close to me !!!!
Don't tell anyone.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Oh, you'll love it. The Gulf is quite lovely down that way
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Captiva's neat. My best friend lives near there.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
June is often foggy near the beaches, but yeah, San Diego is very nice. Temperature-wise, it depends on how close or far you are from the sea.
Balboa Park is good as well as the San Diego Zoo (it's a bit pricey, but it is world class). Sea World might be good. A side trip on the trolley to Tijuana, Mexico is also good for a day. Be sure to get some huarache sandals and pictures of your kids sitting on a burro painted like a zebra. The tacos are excellent as well.
Staying on the Mexican theme, throughout San Diego County there are heaps of Mexican drive-in joints with names like Albertos, Robertos, Rigobertos etc. that have awesome carne asada burritos. Definitely a San Diego institution. Check 'em out.
I second this. There's loads to do in SD. Check out:

www.sdreader.com
www.sandiego-online.com
www.sandiegoonline.com

There's lots to do in/around Balboa Park, including a 3D movie place, museums, small botanical garden-thingy.

There's a permanently moored naval ship - think its called HMS Medway?
There's also the wildlife park, in Escondido (greater SD).

Surfing school?:
www.surfdiva.com
www.hikebikekayak.com/San_Diego_Surf_Lessons.php

Fog when there usually goes by 11ish. Robertos is OK - haven't been to the others.

Avoid Tijuana. Ensenada is much nicer - 90 mins south of TJ. You can catch a bus there from TJ - think its about 15 bucks return. You catch the trolley to the border (San Ysidro), walk thru the turnstiles (no boarder control southbound) walk around to the right for about 5 mins, and the bust station is there. Easy peasy.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:08 am
Who?

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Oh, you'll love it. The Gulf is quite lovely down that way
Captiva's neat. My best friend lives near there.

That's a relief. I was worried it might be horrible.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:27 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

That's a relief. I was worried it might be horrible.
You mean like Blackpool in August?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Awww I want to go to San Diego. Think the furthest we'll be going is 'The Jersey Shore' can't seem to feel too enthusiastic about it though, and that's only if my husband can get some time off.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:46 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Mallory
You mean like Blackpool in August?
I love Blackpool in August

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.