Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where Do Y’All Get Your British Food From?

Where Do Y’All Get Your British Food From?

Old Dec 5th 2020, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Do Y’All Get Your British Food From?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we first moved I noticed that many things tasted sweeter than I was used to....bread, orange juice in particular. Bread and milk lasted for weeks.

It’s the things you miss, for us it was Branston, Marmite, Heinz Beans, Mushy Peas, M&S food, PGTips, carved ham, crumpets, biscuits, Cadbury’s chocolate, Thornton’s, marmalade. Easter eggs. The list is endless,
Weetabix here in The USA has 2g Sugar whereas back home 0g. Everything has sugar in it😱

That list has made me nostalgic now; also Walkers Crisps- Lays just does not cut it for me. I am yet to find Easter Eggs here apart from the Lindt Bunny’s. PG Tips is super expensive here as well😭
Old Dec 5th 2020, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shezi59
I usually have visitors bring stuff but, as you said, Covid-19 has meant no visitors this year so I caved and bought from British Corner Shop. The 2 things I buy are Kelloggs's Fruit and Fibre and Ariel laundry soap. Amazon are charging $18.93 for a 750g box of cereal, no prime free shipping available and arrives a month out. BCS charges $9.51 for a 500g box (shipping is £20 for up to 30kg) with immediate shipping. I've had issues with BCS, boxes sitting in Erdinger KY for almost 3 weeks sometimes, so I stopped using them but damned if I can find a better cheaper option except for friends and family bringing stuff over.
Originally Posted by robtuck
While the cost of getting British food is significantly more than popping to Tesco, I find it easier to compare relative to local food purchases. As an example, Publix sell Digestives at $3.39 a pop, or close to that, which is eye watering. BUT, if I compare that to an over packaged Oreo purchase, they are on a par.

We use British Corner Shop for the stuff the small Publix allocation doesn't cover - again, it's more expensive than buying in the UK, but it still comes out in the wash against local food items when we buy enough in bulk. For items such as Crumpets, which are not available locally to me or suitable for BCS, then a homemade recipe is now the go to - took a few attempts, but getting close.

As much as I am completely game on getting into local foods, I like to spend on a few items that cannot be replaced. Pickled Onion Monster Munch were just eaten for lunch, as an example. Yesterday I had Cheeto's Puffs - everyone is happy.
One question- Did you both have to pay Customs when buying from the British Corner Shop?
Old Dec 5th 2020, 4:11 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I bought from there a few times some years back. I don’t recall paying any customs duty,

Here is another option that has a warehouse in Pennsylvania and ships from there.

https://britishfooddepot.com/shipping-info/
Old Dec 5th 2020, 4:20 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Also, a few years back they increased the amount that can be imported for personal use duty free to $800. You would have to have to be feeding the village to exceed that amount.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Weetabix here in The USA has 2g Sugar whereas back home 0g. Everything has sugar in it😱

That list has made me nostalgic now; also Walkers Crisps- Lays just does not cut it for me. I am yet to find Easter Eggs here apart from the Lindt Bunny’s. PG Tips is super expensive here as well😭
You realise that Walkers are owned by Lays? The flavour range might not be as wide but I've found like for like flavoured Lays to be as 'boring' as Walkers. Kettle cooked chips for the win.

Store prices for Brit goods are pricier but do you need that many items not to justify using local outlets? I'm a Branston's snob but don't get through too much, keep HP brown sauce in the cupboard and Hobnobs whenever I see them but the only time I'll use Amazon is for Wright's coal tar soap and spending 25 bucks for free delivery means that it's not often I'll have to stump up for soap!!! Groceries are flippin' extortionate in FL so the extra paid for those occasional Brit goodies is unnoticeable in a basic $100 weekly shop for two.

Oh, and if you insist on eating a donkey's food for breakfast you deserve all you get.

Old Dec 15th 2020, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

aullah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we first moved I noticed that many things tasted sweeter than I was used to....bread, orange juice in particular. Bread and milk lasted for weeks.

It’s the things you miss, for us it was Branston, Marmite, Heinz Beans, Mushy Peas, M&S food, PGTips, carved ham, crumpets, biscuits, Cadbury’s chocolate, Thornton’s, marmalade. Easter eggs. The list is endless,
I'm sure the list is endless, I've found it interesting to read the differences. I wasn't aware of the ones you've mentioned as I've not travelled out yet.

But surprisingly no Heinz Beans, PG Tips, crumpets and biscuits?
Old Dec 18th 2020, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

To me, Lays and Walkers are identical, just fewer flavors here to choose from.

I reeeeeally miss savory pies and good sausage rolls - finding the tinned/bottled stuff hasn't been so bad. There's an Irish shop in Quincy about 5 minutes from where I live, so every so often I dive in there and stock up. Last week I got some more decaf PG Tips, some Heinz beans and a load of proper Christmas chocolate

Honestly if you really want to get stuff, Amazon has a great selection, though it is pricey. There are certain things you just won't find - M&S do incredible crisps and nibbly bits for snacks and I haven't found anything close, but for the big branded stuff it's relatively easy to get if you're willing to pay.

I definitely agree on the 'everything is sweeter' - I hate it, and am fairly certain that has a contributory part to play in my America weight gain!

What I miss most (apart from the pies and sausage rolls) is just the variety of stuff. Maybe it's just my experience, but everything here feels so homogenized and soulless. I was shopping online for some Christmas hampers to send to family and friends as I can't visit this year, and it left me sad for knowing that I wouldn't be able to find the breadth of good quality and most importantly varied goods here.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:52 pm
Furby

I miss a good British XMAS dinner the most. It seems that the US staple is turkey with stuffing or ham, with mashed potatoes maybe sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. Followed by some kind of pie or Jello, and if you are really unlucky the Jello seems to come with the main meal!

Give me a British turkey dinner with ALL the trimmings any day and trifle, cake, Xmas pudding with brandy sauce and Xmas cake any day of the week. I am perfectly capable of finding and cooking this for myself but we always seem to be obliged to travel and be at someone else’s house for Christmas and my American relatives like it their way.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
I miss a good British XMAS dinner the most. It seems that the US staple is turkey with stuffing or ham, with mashed potatoes maybe sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. Followed by some kind of pie or Jello, and if you are really unlucky the Jello seems to come with the main meal!

Give me a British turkey dinner with ALL the trimmings any day and trifle, cake, Xmas pudding with brandy sauce and Xmas cake any day of the week. I am perfectly capable of finding and cooking this for myself but we always seem to be obliged to travel and be at someone else’s house for Christmas and my American relatives like it their way.
Ohh yes, absolutely!
My first Thanksgiving/Christmas combo was an eye opener ... and it didn't help that my girlfriend's family are Taiwanese. So Thanksgiving was a beautifully cooked turkey with trimmings, which was great. But then it was 'Turkey done', so Christmas Eve was a fully Asian fare. Delicious, but not what my tastebuds wanted! Christmas Day itself we ended up in a Korean chicken place, drinking Long Island Iced Teas and eating fried chicken ... weirdest Christmas dinner I've ever had.

Last Christmas I travelled home (first one in 3 years) and got all the things I grew up with, but this year Covid leaves us stranded, so we got a Hello Fresh 'Holiday Box' with a turkey and so on. It still won't be the same, but at least home cooked! I might try and sneak a yorkshire pudding in there ...
Old Dec 19th 2020, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

This is my recipe for preparing xmas dinner:
Slow cook turkey in oven on xmas eve, to avoid oven overload on xmas day. It is easier to carve the next day when cold.
XMAS day: boil potatoes for 10 mins or so to soften up.
Slice up green/red/yellow peppers, soak in oil and put into oven dish.
Heat oven to 450C, put in peppers for roasting, and put potatoes in tray of 1/2" oil. The quality of roast potatoes is key, if guests don't like green vegs etc., everyone will happily gorge on spuds soaked in fat.
On cooker top, put on carrots, peas, sprouts. Mix stuffing.
In oven: insert pigs in blankets, mini cocktail sausauges, stuffing, yorkshire puddings (frozen will do, aunt bessie's are OK if memory serves right)
Turn over potatoes at half-time.
Load brown gravy powder and water into cement mixer until sludge level is about right, then dispense into gravy boat.
Dispense huge amounts of pre-prandial sherry before dinner so guests will lose all discernment. Provide crackers. Put on paper hats . . .

Old Dec 23rd 2020, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

texasbound is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking for a real treat, take a look at Fortnam and Masons. They will ship for £25-£35 so worth while if you go for a larger order, keeping it under $800 to avoid import duties. We placed an order before Christmas and it arrived via DHL in 4 days. Expensive but worth it this year
Old Dec 28th 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texasbound
If you are looking for a real treat, take a look at Fortnam and Masons. They will ship for £25-£35 so worth while if you go for a larger order, keeping it under $800 to avoid import duties. We placed an order before Christmas and it arrived via DHL in 4 days. Expensive but worth it this year
Which reminds me, I do so miss a nice dollop of Patum Peperium on my morning toast.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 3:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Which reminds me, I do so miss a nice dollop of Patum Peperium on my morning toast.
Should put my specs on, I first read that as Patum Perineum. Ick!
Old Dec 30th 2020, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Cloughie78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why but our local supermarket has a strong range of British stuff from Bisto to Lucozade. The only thing I struggle to get is Blackcurrant.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Miles Ramsell is an unknown quantity at this point

If you’re in the north Georgia area, Wright’s fish and chip shop in Cumming have a food section which is great, or the Crown and Bear in Dahlonega is a British shop with a ton of food and other British goods!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.