Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

where do we queue when entering the US?

Wikiposts

where do we queue when entering the US?

Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default where do we queue when entering the US?

Sorry it might be a very silly question but as we are going to finally come under our visa (H1B and H4) where do we queue at the airport when we land? is it still under the foreign passport queue, or the queue where the US citizens are ?
im hoping its the second one because LAX airport has huge queues for the other passports..thank you!
PS: getting excited
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where do we queue when entering the US?

Originally Posted by laety
is it still under the foreign passport queue, or the queue where the US citizens are ?
Are you US citizens? If not, you already know the answer!

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

fair enough! I thought because we have a visa, we could go to "the other queue" I guess I just have to accept that we will always have to queue forever at this airport ahah
thank you anyway
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I think, when you get your green card, you will be able to queue up in the "citizens and permanent residents" line.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:53 am
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Yep, I'm afraid that visa holders go to the foreigner's queue. I remember that I was disappointed that I couldn't go to the US citizen and permanent resident queue when I first got here.

Just wait until you have your green card - then you'll be really smug
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:21 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I remember one of my relatives telling me a story about how he was in primary inspection one day and there was hardly anyone in the USC line and they were being very slow at processing entries, so he went and stood in the USC line and the inspector told him to go back to the other line and my relative basically said: "I pay taxes here, I'm not standing there any longer." And the inspector did process his entry!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I think, when you get your green card, you will be able to queue up in the "citizens and permanent residents" line.
Depends on the airport...not every airport one has that, it's US citizens and then everyone else for some airports.

Visa holders are under the everyone else bit though, for every where pretty much
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

oh well... maybe one day
thanks everyone!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
Sorry it might be a very silly question but as we are going to finally come under our visa (H1B and H4) where do we queue at the airport when we land? is it still under the foreign passport queue, or the queue where the US citizens are ?
im hoping its the second one because LAX airport has huge queues for the other passports..thank you!
PS: getting excited
FWIW, you might note that although the lines might be of different lengths, you have to also look at the number of windows assigned to each category. I've observed that more windows are assigned to visa line than to the Citizen/Resident line.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

thephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nice

if you ask they might just let you trough every year i have gone to the states with my wife they have allowed me to go through with her. PHA as well as ORD but unless you ask you don't get. i have always asked the DHS officer and they have told me "it's no problem"
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Kind of related to the OP question:

I'm here on an L1 and my wife L2 - we are having a little one in January and visiting UK in March. On the way back into the USA can we take the baby in the US Citizens line? (he/she will be a US citizen with US Passport).

Surely it would be unfair to the US Citizen baby to have to queue up with us foreigners!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSBlake
Kind of related to the OP question:

I'm here on an L1 and my wife L2 - we are having a little one in January and visiting UK in March. On the way back into the USA can we take the baby in the US Citizens line? (he/she will be a US citizen with US Passport).

Surely it would be unfair to the US Citizen baby to have to queue up with us foreigners!
No harm asking. There may be a few places where the US citizen lines don't have the fingerprint scanners - these are the places where the LPRs have to go through the non-USC lines too.