Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do we go with young family?

Where do we go with young family?

Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by chez33
Sorry if I sounded tetchy (pmt) I'm sure it will be one hell of a shock but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. The internet is an amazing resource and there is just so much information out there that its hard to make any headway.

So far Greenville is now the front runner, and surrounding area's (thanks to the person that suggested we look there )
Indeed, the more you research you do the more information you have to wad through, it can be overwhelming. But I think it's a good thing that you are taking the time to do it

One thing I might caution you on, is that it's very, very religious around this area (including Greenville), so if you are not a church goer it may come as a bit of a culture shock. I'm only mentioning it so you can be prepared, because I didn't have a clue before we moved here and to be honest it took me by surprise. I am not at all saying that is a bad thing, just that when you aren't used to it it can be a bit of a shock to the system.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Do your research, visit and keep your options open for coming back - it's all too easy to get stuck in a place.

Good luck with everything.
Thanks Sally, yes, will definitely come back if it doesn't work out
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sue
Indeed, the more you research you do the more information you have to wad through, it can be overwhelming. But I think it's a good thing that you are taking the time to do it

One thing I might caution you on, is that it's very, very religious around this area (including Greenville), so if you are not a church goer it may come as a bit of a culture shock. I'm only mentioning it so you can be prepared, because I didn't have a clue before we moved here and to be honest it took me by surprise. I am not at all saying that is a bad thing, just that when you aren't used to it it can be a bit of a shock to the system.
That is the one thing that might be hard for me as I'm not that way inclined at all! At least we know so we can be prepared for it, thanks!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:34 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

That is the one thing that might be hard for me as I'm not that way inclined at all! At least we know so we can be prepared for it, thanks!
Greenville SC has a reputation as being conservative and sort of churchy, and partly it is. But it is also a very progressive town. Lots of banking, high tech, BMW, Michelin, Bosch, and other big international companies. There are many Europeans in the Greenville area. It is quite artsy, and they have a lot of art festivals, etc. The downtown area is beautiful. There are loads of new houses and schools in the Simpsonville area, with many upscale neighborhoods.

Nearby are the upscale (millionaires) home near Lake Keowee and Lake Jocasee, and the Seneca area (The Cliffs). This is the area of Clemson University, a very well regarded uni in the US. Since Greenville is halfway betw Atlanta and Charlotte, it is a hot spot for growth, but still has loads of countryside around it. I had a friend that lived there, and I've visited numerous times.

It certainly would be different than the UK, but it wouldn't be any fun if it was the same! I would be disappointed if I came from the UK and the USA was a carbon copy.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:39 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's not too hard, honest. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

We love the NC/SC area and it's a great place to bring up kids
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Greenville SC has a reputation as being conservative and sort of churchy, and partly it is. But it is also a very progressive town. Lots of banking, high tech, BMW, Michelin, Bosch, and other big international companies. There are many Europeans in the Greenville area. It is quite artsy, and they have a lot of art festivals, etc. The downtown area is beautiful. There are loads of new houses and schools in the Simpsonville area, with many upscale neighborhoods.

Nearby are the upscale (millionaires) home near Lake Keowee and Lake Jocasee, and the Seneca area (The Cliffs). This is the area of Clemson University, a very well regarded uni in the US. Since Greenville is halfway betw Atlanta and Charlotte, it is a hot spot for growth, but still has loads of countryside around it. I had a friend that lived there, and I've visited numerous times.

It certainly would be different than the UK, but it wouldn't be any fun if it was the same! I would be disappointed if I came from the UK and the USA was a carbon copy.
Thank you, great information!

I would be really disappointed too if it was the same as the UK!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
We love the NC/SC area and it's a great place to bring up kids

That's what this is all about really
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, yes we are considering private schooling.
If you are still looking at private schools remember many schools have no or limited bus service so you may end up driving the children to school which can add up to a lot of miles, even more if you throw in sports and other activities. Just another factor to be worked into the equation.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,
We should be moving to Asheville in about 6 months, our son is also 5 and just finishing Reception, his brother is just 8. Asheville is more liberal than some of the other areas nearby. It has lots of nice restaurants, various festivals and music of all sorts events, downtown area with local owned shops, it is scenic and there are plenty of schools to choose from. it is also not as hot as lower elevation areas. Shame you can't pop over and visit a few places beforehand?
We drove Charlotte to Asheville, it was a nice drive, we flew it once too! only in the air about 15 mins!
Good luck.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jukes
HI,
We should be moving to Asheville in about 6 months, our son is also 5 and just finishing Reception, his brother is just 8. Asheville is more liberal than some of the other areas nearby. It has lots of nice restaurants, various festivals and music of all sorts events, downtown area with local owned shops, it is scenic and there are plenty of schools to choose from. it is also not as hot as lower elevation areas. Shame you can't pop over and visit a few places beforehand?
We drove Charlotte to Asheville, it was a nice drive, we flew it once too! only in the air about 15 mins!
Good luck.
I've just finished reading a 28 page thread on another forum about Asheville and it's definitely the place for us! decided, done deal!! let's hook up when we get there
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

HI,
Shame you can't pop over and visit a few places beforehand?
Good luck.
We are going to go over as soon as we can to make final decision.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

I've just finished reading a 28 page thread on another forum about Asheville and it's definitely the place for us! decided, done deal!! let's hook up when we get there
Definitely! I would really love to hear how your visit goes? We visited for a week in Feb and 3 days in April. Really nice place, seems like a lot to do with kids. Will you rent? When will you move over? We are waiting for husbands green card, could take another 6 months, although we have a cash buyer for our house here! We hope to buy a business and have our eye on a couple. If you want to PM me for more info feel free.
All the best.
p.s where is all the info you have just read about Asheville? I'd like a link in case I've missed that one!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Definitely! I would really love to hear how your visit goes? We visited for a week in Feb and 3 days in April. Really nice place, seems like a lot to do with kids. Will you rent? When will you move over? We are waiting for husbands green card, could take another 6 months, although we have a cash buyer for our house here! We hope to buy a business and have our eye on a couple. If you want to PM me for more info feel free.
All the best.
p.s where is all the info you have just read about Asheville? I'd like a link in case I've missed that one!
Be warned there is a lot of negative stuff on this, but somehow it made me like it more? http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...-bad-ugly.html

My husband works for the largest American bank (or 2nd largest I think) not sure if I can say name? he's been with them for 10yrs. Recently he went to Charlotte on a couple of business trips and asked if he could be transferred and they have said yes. They have basically said they'll sort visa's out etc but it's very early days for us. We will rent initially to make sure, then buy if we can get deposit, not sure if they are paying for the relocation yet (as husband has asked to move and a new role will be created) so may have to fund ourselves with what little equity from the house when we sell it.

Very exciting, but scary times!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

HA! have read this on City Data!! yes, have to be careful as don't know who is writing the comments. There is loads on there about Asheville. During our visits we found it to be nice, friendly etc. I think the biggest issue is finding a decent paid job, but you won't have that concern!
I have visited various other states and it reminded me a bit of a mini Santa Cruz in California, minus the sea, I love CA but it's too expensive so we looked for a cheaper alternative with a nice climate and Asheville kept popping up!
For us it's a crazy move, although I have US passport I was born and have always lived in England. The whole green card process for my husband is tedious but slowly getting there.
Let me know how you get on!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

HA! have read this on City Data!! yes, have to be careful as don't know who is writing the comments. There is loads on there about Asheville. During our visits we found it to be nice, friendly etc. I think the biggest issue is finding a decent paid job, but you won't have that concern!
I have visited various other states and it reminded me a bit of a mini Santa Cruz in California, minus the sea, I love CA but it's too expensive so we looked for a cheaper alternative with a nice climate and Asheville kept popping up!
For us it's a crazy move, although I have US passport I was born and have always lived in England. The whole green card process for my husband is tedious but slowly getting there.
Let me know how you get on!
It's a good thread, interesting in parts and annoying in others!

Yes we are lucky that husband will be working from home mostly with the odd commute to Charlotte, he is on a great salary over here but we don't yet know what it will equate to over there.
My husband is South African with a British passport, we are assuming that the visa situation will be sorted, but as yet we have no idea on that side of things!! as we speak he is having a meeting about it all!!

Yes I would love to go to CA too, that was an option, but the banks head office is in Charlotte so it just made more sense really and we didn't want to push our luck!

Will certainly keep in touch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.