Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do we go with young family?

Where do we go with young family?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

How familiar are you with the USA? I wouldn't recommend making a decision on weather and hills.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

OK I was in the wrong Greenville! in the right one now! can't believe there's 2!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chez33
I'll certainly look into it, it's nearer the sea which I like. My one major concern is countryside, I need to see fields and hills etc...like all the time, is it quite green there? and horsey?
Charlotte, and the surrounding area, is quite flat in general. No rolling hills to speak of. But out of the city zone you can find some great countryside.

To add, in the heat of the summer it can get quite brown if we haven't had much rain. However, this summer we've had quite a bit of rain and currently all the grass and fields are very green.

It does get hot and sticky in the summer months, (particularly July and August) so you'll be better off riding early in the morning or late evening. Otherwise it's no fun for either you or horse.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How familiar are you with the USA? I wouldn't recommend making a decision on weather and hills.
I'm not familiar at all with the USA, that's why I'm here asking, and that's why it is so daunting!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by USIOMUS
Just a quick note on the kindergarten thing...every school district in the US has their own policy on age at admission...but generally speaking they are a year behind the UK. You should have input into where they put him...

My 5 year old did Reception in the UK and would have been going into Year One when we moved...she was kindergarten age in the district we moved to (cut off date was September 1st and she is a January baby), but because she was reading and spelling and adding, etc., the school put her through a few tests and decided (with a lot of parental input) to put her into 1st grade (year one) instead, even though she was 4 1/2 months younger than the next youngest child. She had a few social issues, but academically did fine...then we moved to a new state and new school in the middle of the year. Here the cut off date is December 1st, so now she is only about 6 weeks younger, which has helped socially!

This was all a few years ago, this September she will be in 4th grade and she is top of her class academically...socially she is doing pretty well and she loves the US.

We made the opposite decision with our son, who had just finished Year Five...he actually "repeated" fifth grade but that is another LONG story that you don't need to worry about with your little ones! Good luck!!!
Thank you, he will probably be nearly 6 by the time we move.
This is why I'm on such a mission to find an area we really like so that he can get into a good school and not be moved. So so difficult when you can't actually drive around and look!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar at all with the USA, that's why I'm here asking, and that's why it is so daunting!
Your list of desirables seems to suggest you actually like Britain apart from the weather.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Then I think it is time for you to sit down and make one of those lists -- why we think it is a good idea to move to the US on one side, and why it may not work for us on the other!

Among the things you want is good transportation -- you aren't going to find that anywhere but in a city center. You want to be surrounded by lots of fellow countrymen -- then why leave the UK? You want a very temperate climate -- again, then the UK is the place for you!

I do not intend to be negative, but I think you need to look at just why you want to move before you get caught up in the excitement of the idea, as opposed the realities.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Your list of desirables seems to suggest you actually like Britain apart from the weather.
Is there something wrong with that?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:20 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

OK I was in the wrong Greenville! in the right one now! can't believe there's 2!
Yes, on second thoughts I thought you might be looking at Greenville, NC. I was talking about Greenville, SC. Greenville SC is in the foothills, and can be quite hilly.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Then I think it is time for you to sit down and make one of those lists -- why we think it is a good idea to move to the US on one side, and why it may not work for us on the other!

Among the things you want is good transportation -- you aren't going to find that anywhere but in a city center. You want to be surrounded by lots of fellow countrymen -- then why leave the UK? You want a very temperate climate -- again, then the UK is the place for you!

I do not intend to be negative, but I think you need to look at just why you want to move before you get caught up in the excitement of the idea, as opposed the realities.
Well my husband has been given this opportunity and I have been lusting after an adventure for many years so why not?
Just because I love the UK doesn't mean I shouldn't leave it, there's many other places to live and fall in love with.
We watch so much American TV and I've worked with and known enough American's to know that I'll like it enough.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, he will probably be nearly 6 by the time we move.
This is why I'm on such a mission to find an area we really like so that he can get into a good school and not be moved. So so difficult when you can't actually drive around and look!
We are in Southern VA which is green, moderately hilly quite horsey and close to Charlottesvile, Richmond and Lynchburg. The problem is that the local public schools are some of the worst in the state so if you are going somewhere rural please check the schools very carefully as your options may be private or home school.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We watch so much American TV and I've worked with and known enough American's to know that I'll like it enough.

Sorry but really???
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You want to be surrounded by lots of fellow countrymen -- then why leave the UK?
Not that I want to be surrounded by them exactly, but in that initial period when you're feeling homesick and have nothing in common with anyone, it would be nice.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky

Sorry but really???

Come on, can we keep this thread nice? I'm not naive, nor stupid. If it came across that way then sorry, I can see how it did.
I came here for advice not to be insulted with your sarcasm.

Last edited by chez33; Jul 8th 2011 at 7:33 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid that this is the biggest fallacy going! Living here is unlike anything you see on TV or anything that you may experience as a vacation visitor.

I hope that member CAdreaming won't mind if I give you a quotation from a post she wrote after her first month in the US: "Welcome to my world - its like someone has picked me up and dropped me on the planet Zog! Why Oh Why didnt any of you tell me it would be like this??? Oh yes I forgot you indeed did - Why Oh why then didnt I listen !!! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.