Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do we go with young family?

Where do we go with young family?

Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

There was a similar thread to this topic a few days ago, with a lot of good recommendations.

If you want seasons, Washington/Oregon state, perhaps Colorado and some southernish states? Okay, the last couple suggestions might be getting away from the sea a bit.

If cash wasn't a concern and you didn't mind snow, Boston and the burbs would do, especially the burbs if into horses. Portland/York/Berwick area of Maine too perhaps, but you'd get a lot more snow out that way.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a lot of money for the shipment, I seem to remember my boss paying $2.5k a horse just last year to bring in 3 horses from France.

Originally Posted by chez33
Thank you, but no can do, would absolutely love to but have been told it will be between 6 - 10k, the cats and dogs will be 2k, just don't have the cash. We probably will rent our house out so won't have a massive lump sum. hubby's company will more than likely give us a re-location package but pretty sure they won't cough up the extra for the horse! Also she's a rescue anyway so don't think I would be allowed to take her as she is on permanent loan to me, this makes it all the more sad as I promised her a home for life

I guess life is all about sacrifices
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dnolan1337
Thats a lot of money for the shipment, I seem to remember my boss paying $2.5k a horse just last year to bring in 3 horses from France.
Wow he must know someone then!!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

I work for a show jumping / dressage barn in Louisiana. The owners have around 60 horses, most imported from Europe, and easily board another 60 or so horses for others.

Wow he must know someone then!!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

I work for a show jumping / dressage barn in Louisiana. The owners have around 60 horses, most imported from Europe, and easily board another 60 or so horses for others.
So it's a case of being in the know or knowing someone that is that being said, even if we could afford it, the Rescue centre may well refuse to let me take her.

As you are a horsey person over there, what's the loan/share situation over there? that might be an option for me initially.
And how much is the average 15.2 - 16.2 TB/ID/Sports horse type or similar, not young or green and preferably Schoolmaster.....

Sorry to digress!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

LOL to explain, I am their IT Manager, I have seen the files, but know nothing about horses. Period.

I know you can pick up a decent warmblood for $5k, and a decent trail horse for less.

So it's a case of being in the know or knowing someone that is that being said, even if we could afford it, the Rescue centre may well refuse to let me take her.

As you are a horsey person over there, what's the loan/share situation over there? that might be an option for me initially.
And how much is the average 15.2 - 16.2 TB/ID/Sports horse type or similar, not young or green and preferably Schoolmaster.....

Sorry to digress!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

LOL to explain, I am their IT Manager, I have seen the files, but know nothing about horses. Period.

I know you can pick up a decent warmblood for $5k, and a decent trail horse for less.
LOL! sounds like an awesome job, and 5k sounds pretty reasonable, cheaper than here.

Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

God this is sooooo hard! I keep hopping from one place to the next on the web and getting myself in a right muddle! I'm now in Asheville which looks like just my sort of place, worried about the distance from Charlotte though!
Then there's the school thing to sort out, my son is 5 and going into year one in September but it appears in the US he will still be in Kindegarten? is that Elementary school?

I have soooooo much research to do!!!! will continue doing endless searches on here, thanks so far guys you've been really helpful.

Last edited by chez33; Jul 8th 2011 at 9:46 am. Reason: typo
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:22 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

God this is sooooo hard! I keep hopping from one place to the next on the web and getting myself in a right muddle! I'm now in Asheville which looks like just my sort of place, worried about the distance from Charlotte though!
Then there's the school thing to sort out, my son is 5 and going into year one in September but it appears in the US he will still be in Kindegarten? is that Elementary school?

I have soooooo much research to do!!!! will continue doing endless searches on here, thanks so far guys you've been really helpful.
Greenville, SC, is very nice. Cheaper than Asheville and Charlotte. BMW is there, so a lot of Europeans around. Not far from Atlanta/Charlotte. Nice climate. Good shopping and restaurants.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Greenville, SC, is very nice. Cheaper than Asheville and Charlotte. BMW is there, so a lot of Europeans around. Not far from Atlanta/Charlotte. Nice climate. Good shopping and restaurants.
Thanks, might be a bit far out though as hubby needs to commute to Charlotte once a week.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

I'm REALLY liking the look of Asheville, a lot. It's about 2 hrs from Charlotte which might be OK for commute, if it's only once a week. It appears to have everything we're looking for.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, might be a bit far out though as hubby needs to commute to Charlotte once a week.
Greenville SC to Charlotte NC 100 miles, 1 hr 52 mins drive

Asheville NC to Charlotte NC 125 miles, 2 hr 10 mins drive.

Also can have icy roads between Asheville and Charlotte in the winter as it's more in the mountains.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Greenville SC to Charlotte NC 100 miles, 1 hr 52 mins drive

Asheville NC to Charlotte NC 125 miles, 2 hr 10 mins drive.

Also can have icy roads between Asheville and Charlotte in the winter as it's more in the mountains.
I'll certainly look into it, it's nearer the sea which I like. My one major concern is countryside, I need to see fields and hills etc...like all the time, is it quite green there? and horsey?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he'll start at Kindergarten which is in the elementary school. Make sure he's got all his vaccinations, they are very strict over here about that. Good luck with the move
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

USIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note on the kindergarten thing...every school district in the US has their own policy on age at admission...but generally speaking they are a year behind the UK. You should have input into where they put him...

My 5 year old did Reception in the UK and would have been going into Year One when we moved...she was kindergarten age in the district we moved to (cut off date was September 1st and she is a January baby), but because she was reading and spelling and adding, etc., the school put her through a few tests and decided (with a lot of parental input) to put her into 1st grade (year one) instead, even though she was 4 1/2 months younger than the next youngest child. She had a few social issues, but academically did fine...then we moved to a new state and new school in the middle of the year. Here the cut off date is December 1st, so now she is only about 6 weeks younger, which has helped socially!

This was all a few years ago, this September she will be in 4th grade and she is top of her class academically...socially she is doing pretty well and she loves the US.

We made the opposite decision with our son, who had just finished Year Five...he actually "repeated" fifth grade but that is another LONG story that you don't need to worry about with your little ones! Good luck!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.