Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do we go with young family?

Where do we go with young family?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
We are in Southern VA which is green, moderately hilly quite horsey and close to Charlottesvile, Richmond and Lynchburg. The problem is that the local public schools are some of the worst in the state so if you are going somewhere rural please check the schools very carefully as your options may be private or home school.
Thank you, yes we are considering private schooling.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm afraid that this is the biggest fallacy going! Living here is unlike anything you see on TV or anything that you may experience as a vacation visitor.

I hope that member CAdreaming won't mind if I give you a quotation from a post she wrote after her first month in the US: "Welcome to my world - its like someone has picked me up and dropped me on the planet Zog! Why Oh Why didnt any of you tell me it would be like this??? Oh yes I forgot you indeed did - Why Oh why then didnt I listen !!! "
Yes I'm sure, I can appreciate that. My husband has been on 3 long business trips recently so I'm trusting his judgement!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:37 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chez33
Come on, can we keep this thread nice? I'm not naive, nor stupid. If it came across that way then sorry, I can see how id did.
I came here for advice not to be insulted with your sarcasm.
It's not really sarcasm when it's the truth. Yes it seems naive, but me like lots of people on here can relate, because lots of us thought that before we made the move.

It really is nothing like what you see on the TV, people make the mistake of thinking they know all about America and Americans and it will be easy to fit in. In reality the culture shock is no less than moving somewhere like Japan, you just aren't prepared for it.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

I'm afraid that this is the biggest fallacy going! Living here is unlike anything you see on TV or anything that you may experience as a vacation visitor.

I hope that member CAdreaming won't mind if I give you a quotation from a post she wrote after her first month in the US: "Welcome to my world - its like someone has picked me up and dropped me on the planet Zog! Why Oh Why didnt any of you tell me it would be like this??? Oh yes I forgot you indeed did - Why Oh why then didnt I listen !!! "
Also my husband is South African, he came over here 11 years ago knowing no-one or nothing about the UK. He has done amazingly well, he now wants to move to the US so I feel I owe it to him to give it a shot.
All I really need is a nearby town/city, a good school and some countryside! for gods sake I only ever leave the house to run the kids around and do the horse
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
It's not really sarcasm when it's the truth. Yes it seems naive, but me like lots of people on here can relate, because lots of us thought that before we made the move.

It really is nothing like what you see on the TV, people make the mistake of thinking they know all about America and Americans and it will be easy to fit in. In reality the culture shock is no less than moving somewhere like Japan, you just aren't prepared for it.
I'll be OK I'm sure! if not then we can come back.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm sure, I can appreciate that. My husband has been on 3 long business trips recently so I'm trusting his judgement!
But was he in the hotel, in business meetings, with his peers? It's not until you get to the grassroots banking, schooling, buying groceries, renting a house, seeing if the kids and the dog have the right shots, dealing with the homeowners' association or the PTA, getting your driver's license and taking the test, that the reality sets in.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

But was he in the hotel, in business meetings, with his peers? It's not until you get to the grassroots banking, schooling, buying groceries, renting a house, seeing if the kids and the dog have the right shots, dealing with the homeowners' association or the PTA, getting your driver's license and taking the test, that the reality sets in.
Absolutely I agree, but that's life, I thrive on a challenge, and I'm pretty organised, it will be hell for a while but then hopefully we can reap the benefits and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle we're lusting after.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...and do the horse
Oooh err, missus, you saucy mare
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Oooh err, missus, you saucy mare

Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a camera and know a few places in Europe where that tape would be worth serious money.

Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We watch so much American TV and I've worked with and known enough American's to know that I'll like it enough.
OMG.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
OMG.

OK we're over that now, I admit I shouldn't have said that and it's made me look stupid and naive but I'm not, period.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OK we're over that now, I admit I shouldn't have said that and it's made me look stupid and naive but I'm not, period.
I wasn't trying to make you look stupid, just hoping you won't be in for too big a shock.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I wasn't trying to make you look stupid, just hoping you won't be in for too big a shock.

Sorry if I sounded tetchy (pmt) I'm sure it will be one hell of a shock but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. The internet is an amazing resource and there is just so much information out there that its hard to make any headway.

So far Greenville is now the front runner, and surrounding area's (thanks to the person that suggested we look there )
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry if I sounded tetchy (pmt) I'm sure it will be one hell of a shock but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. The internet is an amazing resource and there is just so much information out there that its hard to make any headway.

So far Greenville is now the front runner, and surrounding area's (thanks to the person that suggested we look there )
Do your research, visit and keep your options open for coming back - it's all too easy to get stuck in a place.

Good luck with everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.