Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA?

Where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA?

Old Dec 3rd 2015, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA?

Originally Posted by steveq
Not here. 4 cars back, and you're lucky to make the change. There is a funny pedal called the drive pedal, and I think its wired to the mains or something, because they sure don't like pressing it round here.
Same logic that applies when you see brake lights go on when the road is clear ahead and its a 45 limit. Why do some cars periodically flash brake lights. 2 foot driving maybe? Just bizarre, especially when they are only doing 35 in a 45
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 1:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Same logic that applies when you see brake lights go on when the road is clear ahead and its a 45 limit. Why do some cars periodically flash brake lights. 2 foot driving maybe? Just bizarre, especially when they are only doing 35 in a 45
People will putter along the highway into town from Pulaski Manor, not daring to do so much at 51mph on the highway with a posted 50mph limit. When we reach the edge of town the limit drops to 45 mph but the road gains two extra lanes, ....... and cars that wouldn't break the 50mph limit out of town will roar away at 50-55mph.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
People will putter along the highway into town from Pulaski Manor, not daring to do so much at 51mph on the highway with a posted 50mph limit. When we reach the edge of town the limit drops to 45 mph but the road gains two extra lanes, ....... and cars that wouldn't break the 50mph limit out of town will roar away at 50-55mph.
Maybe there are some unwritten rules that they only teach in drivers ed at school, that us expats don't get to learn about.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 7:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My bike insurance is something like $20 a year, agree the car test was a joke, the bike test was much more interesting, I also did the 2 day course and used one of their bikes which was part of the challenge.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My bike insurance is something like $20 a year, agree the car test was a joke, the bike test was much more interesting, I also did the 2 day course and used one of their bikes which was part of the challenge.
$20 a year???? Is coverage limited to receiving a jar of KY if you have an accident?

My course provider's bikes were in pretty good condition, they stuck the other five members of the course on those nasty low rider cruiser type 125's whilst I got to prat around on a Honda enduro
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an add on to the auto policy
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Possibly bigger, automatic fines on the interstate?

Something like a automatic $260 on the interstate, could be $50 on a town road, around my way.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob

Something like a automatic $260 on the interstate, could be $50 on a town road, around my way.
Speeding fines are so expensive in the US compared to the fixed penalty system in the UK
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

These aren't interstates, this is a "main road" in rural NC, one lane each direction, twisty and without so much as a centre turn lane, though potentially fairly fast when granny Jones isn't on the road driving her Buick into town - I can do 60 in my truck without feeling I am "close to the edge" and if the road was closed for a time trial I would be reasonably sure that I could run up there at 80 in our Accord. Once you get into town, it adds an extra lane and a center turn lane.

I have seen cops wait near the edge of town, looking for people leaving town who prematurely "hit the gas". I have never seen a sheriff or state trooper running a speedtrap on the road beyond the edge of town.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 3rd 2015 at 6:27 pm.