British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-do-i-stand-car-insurance-when-i-move-usa-868723/)

BigBoss1984 Dec 2nd 2015 8:47 am

Where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA?

Hey all,

Quick question - where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA? I've tried to get some quotes but as I don't have a social security number or valid USA driving license - nowhere will give me a quote. In the UK I've never had a car, only a motorbike - and only upgraded to my full UK license recently. I've been looking at things like...

http://www.travelguardworldwide.com/...732-636483.pdf

Anyone give me some insight as to costs and stuff?

Also I'd also be up for getting another motorbike...any ideas of insurance costs for them?

Thanks

Rete Dec 2nd 2015 12:03 pm

Re: Where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA?

You don't require a ss number nor a valid US driving license. Have your fiancée or spouse call their insurance company and ask about placing you on their policy. If you are marrying or married to someone who does not drive, then you will have to wait until you are within the US most likely to get an insurer quote. A search of the US forums will find you lots of threads on just this subject. One company who will insure you is GEICO. Will then give you a quote before you land in the US, I have no idea. In order to give a quote you usually need to have a vehicle and be able to tell them what amount of coverage you want. Again, have your spouse/fiancée give you a hand on that.

BTW do you mean motorcycle or a scooter. As an American I've never heard of a cycle being called a motorbike. Those would in my little brain be the equivalent scooter that is used in much of Europe. My husband has a motorcycle and his insurance does not include hospital costs because of accidents. In NYS, at least, you need to be licensed to drive a motorcycle not just a vehicle. Does your UK license say that you are permitted to drive both?

ian-mstm Dec 2nd 2015 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984 (Post 11806419)
Quick question - where do I stand with car insurance when I move to the USA?

May I suggest that a moderator move this elsewhere, since it's not related to immigration.

Ian

Noorah101 Dec 2nd 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11806513)
May I suggest that a moderator move this elsewhere, since it's not related to immigration.

Ian

Done.

Rene

BigBoss1984 Dec 2nd 2015 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11806511)
You don't require a ss number nor a valid US driving license. Have your fiancée or spouse call their insurance company and ask about placing you on their policy. If you are marrying or married to someone who does not drive, then you will have to wait until you are within the US most likely to get an insurer quote. A search of the US forums will find you lots of threads on just this subject. One company who will insure you is GEICO. Will then give you a quote before you land in the US, I have no idea. In order to give a quote you usually need to have a vehicle and be able to tell them what amount of coverage you want. Again, have your spouse/fiancée give you a hand on that.

BTW do you mean motorcycle or a scooter. As an American I've never heard of a cycle being called a motorbike. Those would in my little brain be the equivalent scooter that is used in much of Europe. My husband has a motorcycle and his insurance does not include hospital costs because of accidents. In NYS, at least, you need to be licensed to drive a motorcycle not just a vehicle. Does your UK license say that you are permitted to drive both?

Hey, yeah I mean a motorbike - I'm currently licensed to drive a motorbike and a car, yeah - though it's my understanding I'd need to re-take my tests when I move to PA.

zzrmark Dec 2nd 2015 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984 (Post 11806573)
Hey, yeah I mean a motorbike - I'm currently licensed to drive a motorbike and a car, yeah - though it's my understanding I'd need to re-take my tests when I move to PA.

I couldn't tell you about the requirements for PA but I've just acquired both car and bike endorsements on my FL licence. I had to take a written and practical test for the car (although the practical was off road on their controlled circuit????), to add motorcycle entitlement to my licence I had take a two day MSF basic rider course, there was no State test as such.

Despite having over 30 years experience of bike riding in the UK I found the course interesting and picked up a few helpful riding tips but apparently the biggest advantage of taking the Basic Rider Course is that it counts as a skills course and can be used to gain discounts on both bike and car insurance :)

I haven't yet taken up insurance (like licences, insurance requirements vary by State so don't get caught out!!) but the instructor on the bike course said that I should be able to get a policy for a bike with reasonable coverage for about $100 a month - bit of a shocker after being Fully Comp in the UK on an 1100cc 180MPH+ crotch rocket for £82 a year!!! :blink:
I'm led to believe that car insurance is no more competitive either, my wife pays about $150 a month for any driver on a Honda Accord, and that's with an accident free driving history!

Again, PA will have a different set up to FL, I wasn't going to obtain Motorcycle entitlement until next year but I'd be in SC by then and they have far tougher requirements for new licence holders whereas I can just straight swap my FL licence for an SC one (I really need to start spelling that as 'license'!) :D

Bob Dec 2nd 2015 7:46 pm

Budget $1K per 6 months for a ball park on a new car.

Depending on the state, I wouldn't want to be on a bike...definitely during the winter. RI allows weaving and I think CT does, but most states don't, so it seems a bit dull getting stuck in traffic with everyone else.

mrken30 Dec 2nd 2015 7:55 pm

The biggest issue is finding an insurance company that will take your UK history into account. Otherwise you are treated like a brand new driver. For me it was American Family that took my UK history, cost went from about $1000 for 6 months to $500. It halved my first 3 years of insurance. Now it doesn't make much difference.

Pulaski Dec 2nd 2015 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11806806)
Budget $1K per 6 months for a ball park on a new car.

Depending on the state, I wouldn't want to be on a bike...definitely during the winter. RI allows weaving and I think CT does, but most states don't, so it seems a bit dull getting stuck in traffic with everyone else.

Not having to wear a helmet in almost two thirds of states livens things up a bit though! :eek:

steveq Dec 2nd 2015 8:44 pm

though it's my understanding I'd need to re-take my tests when I move to PA.

He he. Well don't sweat about THAT.
Where in Pa. are you moving to ? We're right slap bang in the middle.

Pulaski Dec 2nd 2015 8:53 pm

Hey, yeah I mean a motorbike - I'm currently licensed to drive a motorbike and a car, yeah - though it's my understanding I'd need to re-take my "tests" when I move to PA.

FIFY. :)

Like Steveq inferred, the road tests in the US are an utter joke. It is no wonder that the standard of driving is so appalling in the US.

BigBoss1984 Dec 2nd 2015 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11806865)
He he. Well don't sweat about THAT.
Where in Pa. are you moving to ? We're right slap bang in the middle.

Oh that's awesome! We're moving to Philadelphia :)

mrken30 Dec 2nd 2015 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11806871)
FIFY. :)

Like Steveq inferred, the road tests in the US are an utter joke. It is no wonder that the standard of driving is so appalling in the US.

that's why they have to stop every few minutes so that they can't gain too much speed and gives the US driver time to gather up his thoughts about the next junction. Also the parking spaces are bigger except at my workplace :(

Pulaski Dec 2nd 2015 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11806887)
that's why they have to stop every few minutes so that they can't gain too much speed .....

I thought the STOP signs and red lights were to facilitate drag racing? :unsure:

steveq Dec 2nd 2015 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11806900)
I thought the STOP signs and red lights were to facilitate drag racing? :unsure:

Not here. 4 cars back, and you're lucky to make the change. There is a funny pedal called the drive pedal, and I think its wired to the mains or something, because they sure don't like pressing it round here.