Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where Do I Stand (Or Am I Entitled To a Refund)? Re: Walmart

Where Do I Stand (Or Am I Entitled To a Refund)? Re: Walmart

Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Where Do I Stand (Or Am I Entitled To a Refund)? Re: Walmart

Ok, yesterday being 4th of July, we went shopping to New Hampshire (we live in Massachusetts) and went to Walmart while we were there.

We bought all our stuff, and stupidly (I don't know if it was our fault for not checking- I did ask her at the end if that was all and she said yes, or the lady at the checkout for not giving the stuff) left a couple of things. She had put all the items in the bag, and was rotating the bags, but this one got left behind- just a couple of shampoos and body moisture (but total amounted to $20).

Obviously going back there is like a 50mi drive, and I tried calling the Customer Service but she just hung up on me saying we can't help you..

Like I said, if its my fault then I accept it, but I feel the lady should've been more observant, and whats done is probably done- but was just wondering if something could be done? Or just accept the $20 loss and be more careful next time?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Do I Stand (Or Am I Entitled To a Refund)? Re: Walmart

You will get nowhere unless you return to the store with your receipt showing the items you paid for but never collected, see a manager, try and identify the cashier, and be ultra polite

Phoning them is a waste of time.

You certainly are not entitled to a refund
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Ok, yesterday being 4th of July, we went shopping to New Hampshire (we live in Massachusetts) and went to Walmart while we were there.

We bought all our stuff, and stupidly (I don't know if it was our fault for not checking- I did ask her at the end if that was all and she said yes, or the lady at the checkout for not giving the stuff) left a couple of things. She had put all the items in the bag, and was rotating the bags, but this one got left behind- just a couple of shampoos and body moisture (but total amounted to $20).

Obviously going back there is like a 50mi drive, and I tried calling the Customer Service but she just hung up on me saying we can't help you..

Like I said, if its my fault then I accept it, but I feel the lady should've been more observant, and whats done is probably done- but was just wondering if something could be done? Or just accept the $20 loss and be more careful next time?
It is very easy to leave something behind on those carousels. IMO the responsibility is on the customer to make sure they take all their goods out of the store. Saying that I would email their head office and complain...both about the carousel and customer services. Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Annoying, but worse things happen at sea.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't be bothered to go back, which for the money won't be worth it, then suck it up.

You can phone/email...but they won't care.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:45 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

People slag off cashiers and baggers all the time, but customers can be numpties too. Its not the shops fault.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you can't be bothered to go back, which for the money won't be worth it, then suck it up.

You can phone/email...but they won't care.
If the OP can get through to the supervisor and he has a note on his desk indicating that someone left those items on a specific date, he may issue a refund (gift card). However it is unlikely that the OP will get through to the supervisor that might have that information.

However I'd email the store (if there is an email address for the store) with a copy of the receipt attached indicating the items that were left at the store. The OP might get lucky.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of weeks ago I went to a new Albertsons and a couple of days later realised I couldn't find a couple of bottles of wine and some ginger root. The wine was only $6-7 per bottle so cheapish plonk. A few days later I went back there and asked if any had been left behind. Manager said no, and I didn't have the receipt either. But a few minutes later he chased after me in the aisles and said to find him when I checkout so he'll give them for free. I couldn't believe it! But as I didin't know if it was my fault or the supermarket's, I just picked the one bottle for the same price. I was happy; manager was happy that I was happy. Result!

Rather rare though, admittedly.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is very easy to leave something behind on those carousels. IMO the responsibility is on the customer to make sure they take all their goods out of the store. Saying that I would email their head office and complain...both about the carousel and customer services. Good luck.
Originally Posted by RICH
People slag off cashiers and baggers all the time, but customers can be numpties too. Its not the shops fault.
Odd, those Walmart carousels. I'm not aware of any other store that uses that system. I agree ultimately it's the customer who should double check that the carousel is empty before they walk away, but I'd be interested to know how cashiers are trained in that regard. Usually the cashier eyeballs the carousel for you, and keeps it twirled around for you. But the nature of the system means if the cashier puts the last two things in a bag on her side, and doesn't turn it, you can't see it ... ?

Another aspect that comes into play is the bad attitude that Walmart has about customer service, because of the high proportion of complaints they receive that may be "trying it on." This is why a phone call may get you nowhere, but if you actually go there in person they'll maybe see you are telling the truth (translation: you are a nice middle class person not a typical underclass Walmart customer low life.)
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You bought goods and left them somewhere.

You can contact the place you left them and ask if they have them.

Hardly their issue is they can not find them.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure why it's "obviously" a 50 mile trip, the closest WalMart to me is maybe 4 miles away. I've left bags at other stores and called customer service with no problems. They've been able to confirm the bag is there and hold it until I can pick it up. Once they did offer to refund if I didn't want to pick it up. However, none of the stores are WalMart and I wouldn't expect anything from them, other than taking your money.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Walmart is usually pretty good with things like this, but it all (obviously) depends on the CS rep you speak to. Often a manager will give you the items or offer a refund. Talk to someone at the store and not the general support number.

OTOH, I had an experience in Wally World just last week. I needed a new alarm clock, so I decided on an iHome with i-device dock. The regular price is $99.99, but it was on the website at $79.98, so I headed down to get one. The price on the shelf was the higher on and I was told that they don't match the price from the website or their own other stores. The only way to get that price was to order online and choose Store Pickup, which I did (or so I thought).

When I reviewed my order, I had accidentally chosen the free delivery default, so I sat in the store and called customer (non)service. I was told that the only way to change the order was to cancel and do it all again and it can take up to four hours for it to process through the system.

"Do you want me to cancel this order so you can reorder?", the guy said and I obviously replied positively. I told him that what I would do is buy it here at the higher price and then return it when I got the cheaper one. I said it would feel like I'm cheating, but he told me that it was fine to do it!

So, I took my $100 alarm clock home, but I never got a cancellation email. I thought that may take a day or so, nd I was very surprised to get an email on Monday telling me it was shipped! It arrived on Tuesday. Great cancellation, huh?

So, come Friday, I returned the new, unopened box for a full refund of the higher price.

Now I ask you, how much easier would it have been for them to match it in the first place?

Stupid retailers. Or more precisely, stupid Walmart.com!

I don't think ANY other retailer operates this way and, in the day and age of people researching online and then going to the store to buy, everything should match, IMO.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The bag was probably picked up accidentally or otherwise by the next person in line.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Walmart is usually pretty good with things like this, but it all (obviously) depends on the CS rep you speak to. Often a manager will give you the items or offer a refund. Talk to someone at the store and not the general support number.

OTOH, I had an experience in Wally World just last week. I needed a new alarm clock, so I decided on an iHome with i-device dock. The regular price is $99.99, but it was on the website at $79.98, so I headed down to get one. The price on the shelf was the higher on and I was told that they don't match the price from the website or their own other stores. The only way to get that price was to order online and choose Store Pickup, which I did (or so I thought).

When I reviewed my order, I had accidentally chosen the free delivery default, so I sat in the store and called customer (non)service. I was told that the only way to change the order was to cancel and do it all again and it can take up to four hours for it to process through the system.

"Do you want me to cancel this order so you can reorder?", the guy said and I obviously replied positively. I told him that what I would do is buy it here at the higher price and then return it when I got the cheaper one. I said it would feel like I'm cheating, but he told me that it was fine to do it!

So, I took my $100 alarm clock home, but I never got a cancellation email. I thought that may take a day or so, nd I was very surprised to get an email on Monday telling me it was shipped! It arrived on Tuesday. Great cancellation, huh?

So, come Friday, I returned the new, unopened box for a full refund of the higher price.

Now I ask you, how much easier would it have been for them to match it in the first place?

I don't think ANY other retailer operates this way and, in the day and age of people researching online and then going to the store to buy, everything should match, IMO.
While I agree it's silly they wont price match their own website in the store, you will probably never see the website prices reflecting store prices. Like most large retailers, Wal-Mart doesn't do nationwide pricing, so prices vary by store as well as from the website. We probably wont see nationwide pricing anytime soon though, stores would end up losing money in markets with less competition where the retailer can charge a higher price.

Wal-Mart in my town charges a premium on just about everything, go into Vancouver and the prices are much lower. But Wal-Mart is the only large general retail store, the other chain stores are smaller, and more focused on specific products.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

I have a similar issue with other stores. I don't want to have everybody's credit card to get an additional 5% off (many stores now require customers to use the store's credit card to get an additional 5% off) so I typically use my Discover Card web site which has a portal to many web sites for a 5% or more cashback rewards. So I typically order through the portal and either pick it up at the store or have it delivered free. It seems like a hassle to have to do it that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.