Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
I got a fare on United at 4 days notice last year that was cheaper than their advance purchase fare using http://www.airgorilla.com - worth a look for short notice, but I think has to be 3 days at least before travel.
The amount of taxes etc is usually higher because of the extra cost involved in last minute security checks on the traveller.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I looked at Virgin Atlantic's website and got a price of $851 (this is in Jan '08 and one-way, mind you) and when I looked at Orbitz and Expedia, they have the exact same flight for $350-ish. I suppose they'll add taxes, etc, but still, what's the other catch? I think it must be a typo.
Cheaper seats are allocated/sold to agents...you probably paid the standard rate.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:21 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Cheaper seats are allocated/sold to agents...you probably paid the standard rate.
I haven't actually booked anything yet. I just looked again, and there's a box that says it does include taxes and fees, but not a portion of the cost that's payable at the other end in local currency. That's where the buggers will get you.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I haven't actually booked anything yet. I just looked again, and there's a box that says it does include taxes and fees, but not a portion of the cost that's payable at the other end in local currency. That's where the buggers will get you.
Yes you have to watch that the price quoted is in fact the final price and that it's for a return journey. For me flying off-peak from Newark to Manchester the taxes almost double the fare.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The amount of taxes etc is usually higher because of the extra cost involved in last minute security checks on the traveller.
It was cheaper by a couple of hundred dollars. They use consolidators (once known as "bucket shops") - the ticket was actually issued to me by a travel agent in Michigan but I was able to check the reservation online - couple of handy sites if you have your 6 digit res code:
https://www.virtuallythere.com/ - Sabre
and
https://www.checkmytrip.com/ - Amadeus
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel brave try Air India .... the planes smell of curry (no I am not joking) and they have outside toilets (ok that was a joke)

They are usually very much cheaper than anyone else.
If you don't mind changing planes en-route Icelandair are also very cheap.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at Virgin Atlantic's website and got a price of $851 (this is in Jan '08 and one-way, mind you) and when I looked at Orbitz and Expedia, they have the exact same flight for $350-ish. I suppose they'll add taxes, etc, but still, what's the other catch? I think it must be a typo.

EDIT: Oops, it's $309.
Never used Orbitz - I like to know who I'll fly with and via which connections...

Have used Expedia lots of times - no problems or issues unless you end up needing to make a change to the booking,which is a PITA.

Sometimes Expedia is cheaper than booking direct, sometimes it isn't.

NB: Air Canada are sometimes cheaper than US or British carriers.

The only way to find out is to DYOR.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

maggster will become famous soon enoughmaggster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oddly enough my family all live in NW Coventry, which is only about 20 minutes from Birmingham airport. However, I've been on that Continental flight to BHX and it's awful. The plane is a 757-200 which is supposed to be a medium-range plane intended for the domestic market.....it is a narrow-body plane with just one aisle and the seats are awfully cramped (no extra space even at the emergency exit row!). There are no frills....those awful drop-down from the ceiling small TV screens so not worth watching. I've also found their cabin crew to be miserable on this route (I suppose that spending a day or two in Birmingham doesn't appeal to them LOL!).

I also can't stand the overnight flights, so instead I take the morning BA flight which arrives at Heathrow at about 8pm and usually then pick up a rental car and drive the 90 miles up to Coventry and then go straight to sleep for the night.....it really helps me to avoid the jet-lag.

I think that Continental is also using those 757-200 planes on their flights to Bristol, don't know about what they use to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast and MAN......I know they put a nice plane on their flights to Gatwick as there is competition with other airlines between Newark and London.
I flew back to England for a visit in April and I flew to Birmingham via Frankfurt with Lufthansa - got a great flight very reasonably priced through http://www.1800flyeurope.com/. Might be worth checking them out.

Englishmum I am also originally from Coventry .
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Try

http://www.1800flyeurope.com/

We used this company and flew all 6 of us back LAX to Heathrow non stop for a total of $1200

I just had a quick look and the prices look good still. It is a good idea to try different departure days for the week you want to leave. Monday, Tuesday, wednesday are usually cheaper.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:03 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

I've just looked at the BA.com website to check my husban'd flight arrival time this morning and on the home page there is a special Summer and Autumn offer from New York (not just for the UK but some European destinations too) valid for US residents only:

It includes a free rental car:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ource=hpbanner