Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to declare UK income on CA tax form?

Where to declare UK income on CA tax form?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

KateBeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to declare UK income on CA tax form?

Hi,

I guess there are a few of these questions around, so sorry if I'm repeating, but - does anyone know where I should enter my UK income on the California form 540NR?

I have a couple of savings accounts in the UK which earned interest; this is exempt from Federal taxes because I am a Non-resident Alien in their eyes due to being on a J-1 visa. I'm assuming that this means I don't even need to mention it - is this correct?

However, it seems that California taxes everything it can find, and I'd probably not able to get away with claiming to be non-resident while I had a full-time job here for 8.5 months of the year (18 months total), plus rented accommodation and a driver's licence. (It's all pretty confusing, though, so please contradict me if I'm wrong!). I don't think it'll make a huge difference to my taxes (if any) as it's not very much - I just can't see where to enter it on the form!

Also, do I need to include my stocks and shares ISA as income somehow? (If it's worth more than what I paid in, which I'm not totally sure of!).

Many thanks.