Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to declare UK income on CA tax form?

Where to declare UK income on CA tax form?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
KateBeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to declare UK income on CA tax form?


I guess there are a few of these questions around, so sorry if I'm repeating, but - does anyone know where I should enter my UK income on the California form 540NR?

I have a couple of savings accounts in the UK which earned interest; this is exempt from Federal taxes because I am a Non-resident Alien in their eyes due to being on a J-1 visa. I'm assuming that this means I don't even need to mention it - is this correct?

However, it seems that California taxes everything it can find, and I'd probably not able to get away with claiming to be non-resident while I had a full-time job here for 8.5 months of the year (18 months total), plus rented accommodation and a driver's licence. (It's all pretty confusing, though, so please contradict me if I'm wrong!). I don't think it'll make a huge difference to my taxes (if any) as it's not very much - I just can't see where to enter it on the form!

Also, do I need to include my stocks and shares ISA as income somehow? (If it's worth more than what I paid in, which I'm not totally sure of!).

Many thanks.
KateBeth is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.