Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to buy TV, beds etc?

Where to buy TV, beds etc?

Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy TV, beds etc?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Walmart now has an auto price match scheme. If you register, all your purchases are checked against local stores prices for 30 days after you make a purchase, and then they send you a gift card with the amount you could have saved shopping elsewhere. Mrs P gets a card each month for a few dollars, as many as $15, IIRC. It was (is being?) piloted locally (and in several other markets), so I don't know if it has gone nationwide yet.
I've not seen that around locally yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

Not to keen on electronics from Walmart, apart from games, as it seems a bit iffy on some goods...but handy to know though
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
For sheets, blankets, towels, and kitchen utensils (pans, spatulas, knives etc) go to Home Goods, Marshalls or Ross Dress for Less.
Home Goods isn't bad....I've not really found Marshalls to be that great on prices on kitchenware, unless you find their clearance end of season stuff, same for TJMaxx, but they're not bad for clothes/bedding.

Target is a good source for cheap and reasonable kitchenware.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
... Not to keen on electronics from Walmart, apart from games, as it seems a bit iffy on some goods. ....
Agreed. Our purchases at Walmart, and therefore Mrs P's rebates, are confined almost entirely to canned and packaged groceries (cereals, pasta, soup, beans, olives, ice cream, etc.), cleaning supplies, and paper goods, plus some fresh vegetables if Mrs P isn't going to go to Kroger, and no beer, no soda, .... and no electronics!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, word of warning for the OP, you do have to sift through mountains of crap at the places I mentioned and the stock changes every couple of days (go first thing in the morning when the stock is new and ordered) but the brand name pans/utensils I have bought were definitely cheaper than other places. High quality shower curtains there too. Plates, glasses, cups etc are still cheaper at ikea, especially if, like me, you were born with clumsy genes.

I've also snagged myself an amazing 800 count (!!!!) cotton sheet set for $30 at Marshalls. If you don't mind last season's colours (whatever that means) or odd patters or are not looking for matching stuff (most stuff is a one off) then it's the place for you.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert

I've also snagged myself an amazing 800 count (!!!!) cotton sheet set for $30 at Marshalls. If you don't mind last season's colours (whatever that means) or odd patters or are not looking for matching stuff (most stuff is a one off) then it's the place for you.
Love that place, and TJMaxx and Home Goods! You have to take potluck as to what will be in the store on any given day, but there are often great finds.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
As I understand it, Amazon add sales tax when delivering to any address in which they have a depot, and that means most of them.
It's been my experience here in CA. that if the item I've ordered is being dispatched by Amazon (as opposed to orders purchased and coming from Amazon Marketplace sellers) Amazon will only charge sales tax if the particular Amazon dispatch centre shipping that specific item is located in CA.

If, for example, the order is fulfilled by an Amazon Arizona or Washington warehouse (as is often the case) they never charge any sales tax (to me in California).

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
If the item comes from Amazon itself, they add the sales tax if delivered to an address in California.
Has definitely not been my experience (see above)

From the sba.gov website:

When to Collect Sales Tax Online

"If your business has a physical presence in a state, such as a store, office or warehouse, you must collect applicable state and local sales tax from your customers. If you do not have a presence in a particular state, you are not required to collect sales taxes."

It looks like theoretically - Amazon should ALWAYS charge sales tax in any state where they have a fulfillment centre/warehouse - whether or not the particular shipment will emanate from that state.
And although they have several in California - it's always been the case for me that they only charged tax when the particular shipment came from CA.

Last edited by MMcD; Sep 30th 2014 at 8:27 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I forgot to mention that duvet cover sets are *insanely* expensive for reasons that I cannot understand. Bring some with you if you can otherwise Ikea is your best bet for those.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon prime items sold by Amazon have tax added because they have a presence in my state.
Amazon prime products sold by company x but fullfilled by Amazon are often tax free.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

If you can use your US amex card, they will give you extended warranty of upto 1 year.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

paolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nice

Costco offers a 5 year warranty on TV's.

Ours decided to stop working last year after 4 1/2 years and we took it back and got a lovely brand new latest spec 48inch LCD.

Might be something to bear in mind....

Paul
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Amazon prime items sold by Amazon have tax added because they have a presence in my state.
Amazon prime products sold by company x but fullfilled by Amazon are often tax free.
Which you then mentioned when you filed your tax returns just like everyone else, right :-)
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Which you then mentioned when you filed your tax returns just like everyone else, right :-)
I'll have to check and see if i did that
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

smarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to advice on here just got back from a weeks recce visit having kitted kids out for winter (we're moving out there on 17th November) at LL Bean and reserved a bed at Sleepy's.
Thanks all.