Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a rotary airer (washing line) in the US?

Where to buy a rotary airer (washing line) in the US?

Old May 1st 2005, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a rotary airer (washing line) in the US?

Originally Posted by ukemigrant

Since it's a double line, the neighbors don't have to look at our smalls since we put those on the hidden line, and there's just trees between us and the house behind us.
In-laws use to do that but don't anymore, partly because the roads are pretty shite out front and those log trucks knock up loads of dust...big shame really...
Old May 1st 2005, 5:25 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

My rotary line came with me only because the guys pulled it up in the UK thinking I wanted it in the container.
When I put it up here loads of people asked me what it was for and then laughed. They said that takes too much time and effort, put it in the dryer.
Old May 1st 2005, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

We bought ours in Home Depot, by the Falbrook Mall near Woodland Hills, California a couple of years ago... I did get THAT look and had to explain what I wanted.. He couldn't work out a rotary dryer is the same as a rotary airer, till I explained it was a metal pole you stick in the ground that has an umberella thingie on it you can hang clothes on to dry.... Hahahahah...

It's a wonderful bank holiday weekend here in the UK. The washing is out on the line, kids out front on thier bikes screaming and having fun. went to a huge outdoor market today and had roast pork with all the trimmings for dinner...
I'm off to work soon on nights, and hubby gets to do all the folding when he gets the washing in...
Old May 1st 2005, 7:45 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

This thread is just too funny. In Atlanta I think it would come in wetter than it went out (humidity)... And it'd probably come in with Mosquitoes in the summer.

We have a GAS dryer and my wife thinks it's awesome. It's dirt cheap to run (compared with electric) and since it sits next door to the washer (Laundry Machine), it's Pretty Damned Convenient...

And with the extra time you save, you could put your feet up and have a Pina Colada or 2...
Old May 1st 2005, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by franc111s
This thread is just too funny. In Atlanta I think it would come in wetter than it went out (humidity)... And it'd probably come in with Mosquitoes in the summer.

We have a GAS dryer and my wife thinks it's awesome. It's dirt cheap to run (compared with electric) and since it sits next door to the washer (Laundry Machine), it's Pretty Damned Convenient...

And with the extra time you save, you could put your feet up and have a Pina Colada or 2...
I'm with you there. I have 3 active boys, the washer/dryer is on the go day and night, as well as the AC, and I hardly pay anything on my electric bill.

Not worth it here in the US. Another plus is that you don't have to iron most things, if you take it them out right away.

It is usually the new-landeds that want one thinking their electric bill is going to go sky high..
Old May 1st 2005, 8:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Not worth it here in the US.
Depends where you're at. In the desert southwest, it makes sense!
Old May 1st 2005, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I thinker our washer and dryer are on 24hrs a day.
Old May 1st 2005, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you there. I have 3 active boys, the washer/dryer is on the go day and night, as well as the AC, and I hardly pay anything on my electric bill.

Not worth it here in the US. Another plus is that you don't have to iron most things, if you take it them out right away.

It is usually the new-landeds that want one thinking their electric bill is going to go sky high..

Depends where you are, you're very lucky, my electricity bill for one month in September last year was $400, nearly had a heart attack, averages about $200 a month
Old May 1st 2005, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Depends where you are, you're very lucky, my electricity bill for one month in September last year was $400, nearly had a heart attack, averages about $200 a month
have to get a battery opertated one woodsey.......save on the lecky
Old May 1st 2005, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We have a gas dryer which costs a lot less to run than my electric one did in the UK.

I put my laundry on a clothes horse outside the first year we were here but I only did it once. When I brought it in all the clothes had been baked dry, the jeans expecially had the texture of cardboard and I couldn't iron the creases out of anything so it all had to go back in the washer and be tumble dried.
Old May 1st 2005, 8:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends if you have gas...not piped around here, so would have to get a propane tank, and they aren't cheap either...so it really does depend where you live.
Old May 1st 2005, 8:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I put my laundry on a clothes horse outside the first year we were here but I only did it once. When I brought it in all the clothes had been baked dry, the jeans expecially had the texture of cardboard and I couldn't iron the creases out of anything so it all had to go back in the washer and be tumble dried.
Are you using a proper washer or one of those pathetic american excuses for one?
Old May 1st 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
We have a gas dryer which costs a lot less to run than my electric one did in the UK.

I managed for ten years of my married life in the UK, with two kids and no tumble dryer, crusty jeans were worn by all and towels used to feel like sandpaper I do now tumble dry most things although its strange don't you think how everything you buy in American clothes shops are tumble dryable whereas clothes from the UK very rarely are, even when made of exactly the same fabric..

note to self : I own a tumble dryer and an SUV, I really will go to hell..
Old May 1st 2005, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't have a proper washer I have one of those top loaders. Oh how I miss my hotpoint trying to jump out of its space under the counter. Once it actually jumped that much it knocked the counter off. I bought a new one and that did exactly the same thing. Both my kids as toddlers used to run to the washer with me when it started spinning to try and stop it escaping.

I bought a dryer when my son was born and used it 95% of the time in the UK. I hated just finishing hanging the washing out and then having to run out and get it all back in when it rained, which was quite often living near the Pennines. I do miss hanging the bedding out to dry on a long washing line because I love the smell of 'fresh' bedding.
Old May 1st 2005, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by woodsey
I managed for ten years of my married life in the UK, with two kids and no tumble dryer, crusty jeans were worn by all and towels used to feel like sandpaper I do now tumble dry most things although its strange don't you think how everything you buy in American clothes shops are tumble dryable whereas clothes from the UK very rarely are, even when made of exactly the same fabric..
can tumble dry most of the stuff from the UK fine, it's just going to knacker the clothes quicker than being line dried...also if they have prints on t-shirts, they get knackered unless there turned inside out....but it doesn't matter if the clothes are old anyway...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.