Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to buy meat near Buffalo NYS

Where to buy meat near Buffalo NYS

Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:09 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Question Where to buy meat near Buffalo NYS

Now I know I am inviting lots of very funny or plain weird comments, but this is actually a serious question - although I will happily read all replies

When I lived in UK, I brought all my meat either at farmers markets or direct from the farms. That way I could actually keep costs down, it is amazing but it is actually cheaper to buy the meat direct. I also could be certain of how the animals were kept - for instance I could be sure the places I brought from had free range chickens, didn't feed the animals hormones and anti-biotics or other animals, humanely kept pigs etc etc.

Now I have been buying organic from the local supermarkets, but I don't need organic and it is very expensive and the few farms I have managed to find seem to only sell whole animals at certain times of the year and I rent my house and just don't have a big enough freezer.

Any suggestions please?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy meat near Buffalo NYS

Have you tried any farmers markets in Buffalo? A quick Google suggests there are at least half a dozen! No idea whether they're any good, of course.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about Buffalo.....but.....

Look in to "Community-supported agriculture" or "community-shared agriculture" and see if it is available in your area and if it is a model that might suit you.

edit: A quick Google got this, I have not investigated this link.
http://www.ecovian.com/s/buffalo/csa

edit 2: never mind, just seen that you do not have much storage. You probably need a lot with CSA

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 30th 2013 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:50 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - yes I have tried the markets in Buffalo and Rochester, as I am about 1/2 way between the 2. There are a couple of farmers there, but they don't seem to like the idea of me visiting their farms or they come from quite a way out!!

I was so spoilt in UK, I thought it would be as easy here!!!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Google out a local CSA, probably have a membership with a meat option...basically you pay a annual membership and you get a slice of the produce, or you can help out on the farm and get reduced rates.

All very co-op esk.

Also have the option to probably "sponsor" a cow, or a quarter of one and then on a rota, as the animals get slaughtered, you'd get your allocated cut, so if you paid for a quarter of an animal, you might get a wedge of steak one month, but a roast the next from the next cow killed until you get all the cuts you paid for. That kind of thing.

I found the local library to be pretty helpful for this kind of info, well on CSA's and also local orchards are a good place to go ask about local farms and the like that could help out.

It's definitely a bit more leg work involved though.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:52 am
Back in US & happy!

Oh library - I hadn't thought of that, I will certainly look at that. And the idea of sponsoring a cow sounds great.

And you are right, more leg work!! Which I don't mind, but I tried phoning a few farms and was put off by their way of working - I am used to farms being more flexible in UK and I was certainly worried about some of them not wanting me visiting.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/hunting.html
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not near Buffalo or Rochester, but in south west Vermont close to the NY border and there are a lot of farm that sell grass fed beef around here. I have a friend near Rochester I'll ask her if you'd like?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:54 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by nethead
I'm not near Buffalo or Rochester, but in south west Vermont close to the NY border and there are a lot of farm that sell grass fed beef around here. I have a friend near Rochester I'll ask her if you'd like?
Hi

that would be great if you could

Many thanks

Becks
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me the name of the town you live in? PM me if you'd rather.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

And here is the answer: www.englishporkpiecompany.com
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:57 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Steve_
And here is the answer: www.englishporkpiecompany.com
Gosh - real English bacon - I will certainly look into this, of course it will depend on where they get their meat from.........