British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where to buy decent sausages in Bay Area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-buy-decent-sausages-bay-area-863135/)

pramster Aug 9th 2015 3:01 am

Where to buy decent sausages in Bay Area?

Okay, so I think I've found some decent bread.

Now the search moves onto decent breakfast sausages, or chiploatas, that are so easy to find in supermarkets in the UK.

Anyone know where I can get a decent sausage here??

Peter124 Aug 9th 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Where to buy decent sausages in Bay Area?

Dittmer's in Los Altos. Schaub's in Palo Alto. Robert's in Woodside.

pramster Aug 9th 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for the tip...will try Dittmer's as it's close by, and I see from their website that they do "british bangers" :-)

lansbury Aug 9th 2015 5:05 pm

All else fails go to the Balson Brothers web site and have them ship to you. They pack them in freezer box with liquid ice and send 2nd day air. Not too much extra if you order enough.

Dizzyp Aug 9th 2015 5:43 pm

I always liked Saags British Bangers. Available in Safeway or sold loose in Lunardi's in Los Gatos.

McBadger Aug 9th 2015 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Peter124 (Post 11719957)

ooh, thanks for the Schaub's note. I did not know that! I will be heading there soon!

N1cky Aug 10th 2015 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Peter124 (Post 11719957)

I don't like any of these places for sausages, the skin on the sausages are way too thick. I buy mine mail order from the English Pork Pie company, as they are real British sausages, not British style.

SalopianFunk Aug 10th 2015 4:37 am

Rosemunde in Oakland and SF. Whilst they don't typically do English style bangers, their sausages are of great quality.

pramster Aug 10th 2015 5:11 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11720232)
I don't like any of these places for sausages, the skin on the sausages are way too thick. I buy mine mail order from the English Pork Pie company, as they are real British sausages, not British style.

I just checked them out, and they look great. But the cheapest shipping cost is $40, way more than the cost of the sausages I was looking to buy...

N1cky Aug 10th 2015 5:18 am

Originally Posted by pramster (Post 11720243)
I just checked them out, and they look great. But the cheapest shipping cost is $40, way more than the cost of the sausages I was looking to buy...

I think it's $30 for $100 of products, around 10 packs of sausages. They come frozen, so you can just put them in the freezer and pull a pack out when you want them. It is expensive, but I wish I'd done it earlier instead of wasting $$$ on trying horrible sausages from all over the place.

If it's just breakfast style sausages you are after, F&E British breakfast sausages are actually ok, they don't have that horrible chewy skin anyway.