Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to buy curtains?

Where to buy curtains?

Old Mar 25th 2015, 2:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy curtains?

Originally Posted by kins
John Lewis curtains/blinds are ridiculously over-priced. I'd go with a company like Budget Blinds here in the US, if you can. They made some really nice blinds for us.
Just the word 'budget' in their name means I would never even consider them, regardless of how good their blinds are.

Why some (mainly US) retailers insist on stating their products are 'budget' (ie, crap) from the outset is absolutely beyond me.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 2:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Quality Home and Office Furniture | Arhaus Furniture

Arhaus, very nice. Nearest one to you might be Natick or Burlington.

There's also a Ethan Allen in Natick.

Someone in our MetroWest meet up group also makes custom drapery, so could probably find a contact number if you're interested.
Many thanks, Bob. I have an interior designer visiting my wife this evening (I'm back in England currently) so depending on how that goes, will throw you a request
Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:12 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
@ Yorkie We had that with one place we went to view that had custom plantation shutters. Wanted an extra $10K for those as well. Me and Mr Chog just said to each other as we left what are they going to take them with them.
Didn't buy that house anyway also wanted $4000 for the lights in the dining room and hallway
I think that's taking the pi$$ even more - sure, plantation shutters aren't cheap, but once they're screwed into the fabric of the house, they should be included in the price. What's next - charging extra for the kitchen cupboard and the carpets?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I think that's taking the pi$$ even more - sure, plantation shutters aren't cheap, but once they're screwed into the fabric of the house, they should be included in the price. What's next - charging extra for the kitchen cupboard and the carpets?
I agree - and it goes to show how important a fixtures and fittings list is when you buy a house! Um, maybe not called F&F here?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I agree - and it goes to show how important a fixtures and fittings list is when you buy a house! Um, maybe not called F&F here?
I don't think we have ever had a fixtures and fittings list - there is a Sellers Disclosure, but its not quite the same. I think in general it's worked on the basis of anything fastened down stays unless otherwise discussed, and anything freestanding goes, unless otherwise discussed. Not sure where that is covered in the rainforest destroyed to draw up the contracts, but that is how I've always understood it.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
exactly and unlike curtains which could be adjusted for your new place. Custom fit shutters probably aren't going to transfer well.

The house we did buy has plantation shutters and paying extra for them wasn't discussed
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
John Lewis curtains/blinds are ridiculously over-priced. I'd go with a company like Budget Blinds here in the US, if you can. They made some really nice blinds for us.
Its like anything you get what you pay for! Ours came from John Lewis whilst we were in London in August and went to Peter Jones for the first time they had some beautiful fabric.

If its done right they will last a long time.