Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where are the Brits in Florida?

Where are the Brits in Florida?

Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:37 am
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where are the Brits in Florida?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

How are you liking Ft Lauderdale?
Well we just love it..Except for all the New Jersey and New Yorkers down here.

Just kidding
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Grey Area
I think you'll find the most fertile grounds to be just about anywhere between West Palm Beach and Hallandale..Places like Pompano and Boca are exceptionally rich in retirees..
Just wondering how they managed to retire to the US and what they do about Health Insurance?

Any ideas?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Grey Area
Well we just love it..Except for all the New Jersey and New Yorkers down here.

Just kidding
Good job I'm a Brit then....
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:43 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark66
Well I'll have a visitor visa to do my reserch so can we ignore that for now, thanks for illuminating its' importance, twas the same in Dubai before I decided to move, let's not be too negative, I'm coming for a holiday anyway and I'm not stealing the locals jobs, just helping the Brits to spend more in the US maybe.

Mark
Mark, I just had a revelation. The ex-pats - they hang out here.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy some insurance?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

BCBS , Aetna , Humana to name a few , but i hope you have a thick pocketbook lol
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm considering opening a Florida office. I'm a British Financial Advisor currently working in Dubai, I'm doing very well but feel a move would suit my family. I soley deal with Brits and do not intend to compete with US advisors. I've travelling throughout Florida, mostly whilst hour building in a Cessna. My question is, where do the majority of retired Brits live in Florida? My speciality is releasing UK Pensions, hence the retired market rather than the employed market.
I think the era of British people retiring to Florida largely ended after 9/11, because CBP then began religiously enforcing the law on overstays, plus Florida tightened their ID requirements, plus the homestead exemption was changed so that only LPRs and US citizens could get it.

I'm sure there's lots of British people who have homes in Florida still but as someone else mentioned they probably reside in the UK.

Even getting a B-2 visa nowadays isn't exactly easy.

Anyway to cut a long story I know an Australian who did roughly the same thing on an E-2 visa, he bought out an existing company in FL and he was so successful he now lives in Melbourne. Australia.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just wondering how they managed to retire to the US and what they do about Health Insurance?

Any ideas?
Stay during the winter and have travel insurance.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
Stay during the winter and have travel insurance.
OP was looking for those who have retired to the US.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

uk2la99 will become famous soon enough

Hi, I'm considering opening a Florida office. I'm a British Financial Advisor currently working in Dubai, I'm doing very well but feel a move would suit my family. I soley deal with Brits and do not intend to compete with US advisors. I've travelling throughout Florida, mostly whilst hour building in a Cessna. My question is, where do the majority of retired Brits live in Florida? My speciality is releasing UK Pensions, hence the retired market rather than the employed market.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I am a Brit living in Naples, Florida. I moved to LA originally and was there 21 years. Although I loved it in Los Angeles, I really needed a change of pace and wanted to be somewhere warm by the beach. Naples is a paradise, spotlessly clean, virtually no crime and home to some of the richest people in the US. Many people have their winter homes here and it's definitely seasonal and very quiet during the summer. I moved to Naples in December 2009, but until recently didn't think I could spend the rest of my life here. Now I love it and am just getting going as a general building contractor and real estate agent, something I did in Los Angeles for almost 20 years. I worked in a high end art gallery for just over 12 months and met a lot of wealthy Brits who either currently live here or are considering moving in the near future. If you are considering the west coast, this is the place to be in my opinion.

I hope that helps. Contact me if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Rob Thomas.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Well thanks for the humorous replies folks, and in the case those of you who advised me to "do my research" well my original post did imply that this was in fact my first bit of research. When I posted a similar post in ex pats Dubai over four years ago I received similar scepticism which mostly proved to be wrong.

I'll continue with a trip soon, renew my PPL and fly around a bit asking the same questions face to face. If the answers are the same then I will have had a nice vacation and poured about $6000 into Floridas economy, then return to Dubai and plan my semi-retirement to Cyprus or Spain at the age of 45.

Come on now, there must be some positive people out here!

Mark
Mark,

I had to add another reply after reading some of the other comments on your string. LOL! As you've probably figured out, don't listen to 99.9% of Brits that post negative comments on forums like this. I got out of the UK because the vast majority of people are so cynical about everything. This is America and anythings possible - I would add that its probably if you are British, a good person and willing to work. The US has treated me fantastic over the years and there will always be a ton of opportunities here. With regards to the visa, I just had dinner with a Brit last night that is getting an investors visa. As I understood it, if you are going to set up a company and invest at least 100k, it's easy to do... but talk to a lawyer to be sure.

Anyway, best of luck.

Rob.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk2la99
As I understood it, if you are going to set up a company and invest at least 100k, it's easy to do... but talk to a lawyer to be sure.
Oh dear!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... As I understood it, if you are going to set up a company and invest at least 100k, it's easy to do... but talk to a lawyer to be sure.
Well it's not easy to do, well the renewal and you've got other start up costs on top of the business, so there's far more capital required...and then there's all the downsides to the E2 for folks with a family, blablabla...unless you've got $1M in your pocket for the E5.

And I wouldn't say realistic advice and experience of things that haven't worked are of people being negative.

If one wants a balanced opinion of things, other wise there would be no point in asking the question if you wanted an airy fairy reply or just positive encouragement, there'd be other places for that kind of back slapping.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it's not easy to do, well the renewal and you've got other start up costs on top of the business, so there's far more capital required...and then there's all the downsides to the E2 for folks with a family, blablabla...unless you've got $1M in your pocket for the E5.

And I wouldn't say realistic advice and experience of things that haven't worked are of people being negative.

If one wants a balanced opinion of things, other wise there would be no point in asking the question if you wanted an airy fairy reply or just positive encouragement, there'd be other places for that kind of back slapping.
I agree with Mark... too many negative or smart-ass comments. It is one thing to give someone advice they don't want to hear, it's another to be rude and some of the comments are plain rude. No one knows this guy and what he is capable off. This is still the land of opportunity and there are other ways to get legal and make it happen.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mark... too many negative or smart-ass comments. It is one thing to give someone advice they don't want to hear, it's another to be rude and some of the comments are plain rude. No one knows this guy and what he is capable off. This is still the land of opportunity and there are other ways to get legal and make it happen.
You're a sales guy -- the glass is always half full.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.