Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where is best to live in San Diego....

Where is best to live in San Diego....

Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is best to live in San Diego....

Originally Posted by Leah326
Hi, thank you, that would be great actually! How long have you been over there?

Yes I was thinking I didn't fancy PB, unless it was more to the North. I'm not so down with the kids these days so I don't think I could hack it in the midst of a big party. I've added the other areas to the suggestion list though now, thank you.
I have been here for about 19 months so pretty much settled in now. I'd be happy to give you any help I can. Don't be fazed by the driving. I just hired a car for a couple of days and used it to practice before scheduling my test.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Leah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you both! I'm off on holiday tomorrow so I'll be back with lots more questions, I'm sure, in a week or so.

My flights to SD are now booked, I've got my apt at the embassy so it's all systems go when I get back!

What brought you both to San Diego and have you got any hints or tips on what was the best and hardest bits about it and what do you miss the most? I'm getting excited now.

Catch up in just over a week if not before. Cheers!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over for my husband's job (he is a scientist). It meant I had to give up my job in the UK and find one here which was extremely challenging, but someone on here helped me and I have been working for that company ever since and loving it. We are not here permanently though but will be here for at least another couple of years.

Hints and tips wise just prepare for things to be different. I've found most people to be really helpful whenever I've had to ask questions. Fresh and Easy which is a supermarket is not too far from the area where you will be working, it is owned by the Tesco group and sells some British bits like Robinsons diluting juice etc. It took us a while to find somewhere we liked to do our grocery shopping here so shop around. I really do recommend getting a Costco membership we have a household of 2 and it is amazing the things we go through. Sorting a car is an absolute must, don't underestimate the distances here and public transport is a nightmare.

Are you shipping furniture or buying new?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

I'm in El Cajon area and we are not far from the i8 so it does not take us too long to get to places on he coast.
The big advantage is we get sunny days every day and most days when we go near the coast it is cloudy and overcast.
While E C might be a bit too far inland, if I were you I would live inland which is cheaper rather than the more expensive coastal areas with not-so-good weather.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

What brought you both to San Diego and have you got any hints or tips on what was the best and hardest bits about it and what do you miss the most? I'm getting excited now.
Work in my case; took an internal transfer within the same company from Toronto after spending months on the phone to San Diego and flying down all the time. I just had my first business trip since moving down here two years ago so obviously the plan worked!

Apart from not having to fly all the time I have to love the weather. Not really having to plan based on the weather forecast, making backup plans etc does make a difference to me, as does cycling all year round with nothing more than the occasional thin jacket. A few more years and it'll be really hard to move... I've also met some nice people, like where I live, like the work, so overall San Diego has been good to me.

I miss living in an actual big city. San Diego may have a lot of people but it doesn't feel like a large established city the same way as Toronto and especially London do. Maybe it needs a few hundred years... The traffic also sucks in places, it's not exactly cheap, and it's pretty far from everywhere else.

I'm actually not a "British Expat" as the nickname suggests too, but did live in London for a few years before moving to Toronto and have got lots of useful information (and entertainment) from this forum over the years so wanted to contribute where I can. Most of the issues people facing moving to the US (or Canada for that matter) are the same for all EU citizens...

Wonder if a SD BE meet might be in order? There's certainly some great beer around here!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

People similar to you also live in the Del Mar Villas complex on Carmel Creek Road. It's a mini resort like complex, walking distance to quite a few restaurants and bars in the Del Mar Heights complex. A 1BR condo is $1300-1500pcm.

We really enjoyed living there. We could also walk to the beach if we wanted...about 1.5 miles away.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE .

Wonder if a SD BE meet might be in order? There's certainly some great beer around here!
[/QUOTE]

Make mine Karl Strauss...especially in this heat.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FinnDiego
Apart from not having to fly all the time I have to love the weather. Not really having to plan based on the weather forecast, making backup plans etc does make a difference to me, as does cycling all year round with nothing more than the occasional thin jacket. A few more years and it'll be really hard to move... I've also met some nice people, like where I live, like the work, so overall San Diego has been good to me.
We also moved here from Canada spent 6 1/2 years in Calgary. My husband laughs because I am so worried about being cold! For example when we went out on Sunday, I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt and in the car I had jeans, cardigan, a thin lace shawl and a thicker shawl.

As you say it is so nice not to have to plan based on the weather.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a bunch of jackets and sweaters from Scotland 14 years ago...hardly worn since.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all, thanks for the replies! I do wonder what I'm going to do with all my winter clothes when I move. Is it worth even bringing them or shall I leave them at my parents for times back in the UK! Most of my clothes are winter oriented due to our rubbish weather, so I guess it's a good excuse for a new wardrobe. What's the general work wear theme like? I have no idea what I will wear on my first day!
I also have a load of skiing gear which I'm not sure whether to bring. I guess I could end up travelling to go skiing whilst I'm over but it's a lot of extra stuff to bring to use for a minimal amount of time, if at all.

A meet up (when I'm over) sounds like a great idea. I will arrive on July 28 so not long to go now getting excited but also pretty nervous. It's a big bold move for little old me and I haven't quite got my head around it yet that I won't have anyone I know around me. Really looking forward to meeting people though and hope I settle in well.

I have temporary accommodation now in University City so at least that's one less thing to worry about. Gives me time to check out various areas for something more permanent.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, thanks for the replies! I do wonder what I'm going to do with all my winter clothes when I move. Is it worth even bringing them or shall I leave them at my parents for times back in the UK! Most of my clothes are winter oriented due to our rubbish weather, so I guess it's a good excuse for a new wardrobe. What's the general work wear theme like? I have no idea what I will wear on my first day!
I also have a load of skiing gear which I'm not sure whether to bring. I guess I could end up travelling to go skiing whilst I'm over but it's a lot of extra stuff to bring to use for a minimal amount of time, if at all.

A meet up (when I'm over) sounds like a great idea. I will arrive on July 28 so not long to go now getting excited but also pretty nervous. It's a big bold move for little old me and I haven't quite got my head around it yet that I won't have anyone I know around me. Really looking forward to meeting people though and hope I settle in well.

I have temporary accommodation now in University City so at least that's one less thing to worry about. Gives me time to check out various areas for something more permanent.
Bear Valley (4 ski resorts) is only 135 miles from San Diego.

If you want to get to the big California ski resort area (Lake Tahoe with 14 resorts), that is about 525 miles from San Diego. There is also skiing at Yosemite which is nearer (about 300 miles from San Diego).

Or you can go to Flagstaff, AZ (Snowbowl) which is about 500 miles from San Diego.

To get to the Rocky Mountain ski resorts (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho), that is much further and also generally colder so better powder. However there is a lot to like about the California resorts which can get to 60-70 degrees during the day and usually sunny during spring skiing if you are not a hard core powder skier.
Attached Thumbnails Where is best to live in San Diego....-xlarge.jpg   Where is best to live in San Diego....-basinskimap.gif   Where is best to live in San Diego....-arizonasnowbowltrailmap.jpg  

Last edited by Michael; Jul 3rd 2013 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would bring some winter clothes, I didn't and regretted it when I wanted to visit Big Bear etc. Also, I would bring your ski stuff. I don't personally ski but have friends who do and they are able to use theirs pretty regularly during the winter at the local ski resorts which are not really that far away.

Work wear wise - it can be varied. In general I'd say it is a bit more relaxed than the UK but really does depend on your office environment. I can happily wear shorts and flip flops in mine if I want to unless we have clients in but I do see people in suits around this area. Layering is key because you will be going from the heat outdoors to air conditioning, cardigans are a must!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Great news re the skiing, hadn't thought of those areas (I still have much to learn!). My parents will be pleased as they think I'm going to be moving half of my stuff back in when I go so I'll definitely take my ski gear now, thanks!

And layers I can definitely do. Think it will take a while to get my head around the not having to plan for sudden changes in weather. Looking forward to it. The UK has had such rubbish weather this last year.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FinnDiego

Do any of you folks like The 1975? Tickets go on sale this Friday at the Belly Up Tavern for 3rd November. I'm hoping to get one, but as it stands I'll be a Billy no mates so if any of you fancy it, you're more than welcome to show me the way to Solana Beach!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

If you go to the Belly Up make sure you get there early and grab a table on the right side for the best seats or the left if you don't mind sitting while there are people standing in front of you.
If you eat in the restaurant you get to go in first...just!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.