British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   When visiting family leave....why does it never get any easier..?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/when-visiting-family-leave-why-does-never-get-any-easier-527897/)

MsLondon Apr 8th 2008 11:54 pm

When visiting family leave....why does it never get any easier..??

Hi everyone
Im new on this board. Just wanted to post as Im sure everyone on here will understand. (maybe?)
I have lived in NY for 7 years, my mum and sister have just gone home after a short 5 day visit. As usual I started bawling the minute they left :( and am still really upset 4 hours later.
They have visited me about 10 times and its always the same.
Im going over in August for a visit but thats 4 MONTHS AWAY! Which just seems so long..... I get so homesick...
Do you find it hard when close friends/relatives come for a visit? Its great to see them but its so upsetting when they leave.

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2008 12:40 am

Re: When visiting family leave....why does it never get any easier..??

Originally Posted by MsLondon (Post 6180356)
Hi everyone
Im new on this board. Just wanted to post as Im sure everyone on here will understand. (maybe?)
I have lived in NY for 7 years, my mum and sister have just gone home after a short 5 day visit. As usual I started bawling the minute they left :( and am still really upset 4 hours later.
They have visited me about 10 times and its always the same.
Im going over in August for a visit but thats 4 MONTHS AWAY! Which just seems so long..... I get so homesick...
Do you find it hard when close friends/relatives come for a visit? Its great to see them but its so upsetting when they leave.

Welcome to BE MsLondon. :)

Yep I hate goodbyes both sides of the pond.

MsElui Apr 9th 2008 2:12 am

i came to the us in october and actually had a 2 week trip back to the uk in march (freebie trip - not planned!). I stayed with my parents. Towards the end of the second week i really was starting to want to come home again (to the us) - but i still bawled as we got in the car and drove away from my parents!

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 9th 2008 2:28 am

Sounds like a female thread.

surly Apr 9th 2008 2:48 am

I solved that problem, me Ma and sister moved over here.

My wife has three brothers and two sisters, and you need a score card to know who's talking to whom at any given time. This way we keep on good terms with everyone, and they get to spend time at Hotel California.

dbark Apr 9th 2008 11:44 am

Yep. I never realised just how hard it would be to be separated from family and friends by the big pond. I kept convincing myself "it's only a plane ride away" and "there's always webcams" but it's just not the same. :(

lisa67 Apr 9th 2008 12:45 pm

My parents come over at least 3 times a year and stay for a month at a time..I love then dearly, but trust me when I say I don't cry when they leave !!!:rofl:

CitySimon Apr 9th 2008 12:51 pm

As my parents tend to use visits over here as an excuse to have a go at me over things which I have no control over 3000 miles away, I'm usually pretty happy when they pack their bags.

chicagojlo Apr 9th 2008 2:08 pm

Haven't talked to mine in over a year so I don't have that problem, but when hubby's parents visited his mum cried for about a week afterwards. We've lived overseas for 9 years so she's gotten used to it, but this is the furthest away we've been.

GoldFinger Apr 10th 2008 1:42 am

My family is like an epiode of Eastenders on holiday. Everyones got something to moan at. Nowhere I take them here seems to be fun for them.

Email and IM are fne. Not mising them at all.

chicagojlo Apr 10th 2008 1:50 am

Sounds like my inlaws - doesn't matter where we are or what we suggest, they just want to watch BBC and drink the tea they brought for themselves!

looselips Apr 10th 2008 2:06 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 6182582)
My parents come over at least 3 times a year and stay for a month at a time..I love then dearly, but trust me when I say I don't cry when they leave !!!:rofl:

Are we related? Mine are the same and I love them to bits but after a month with us we are pushing their plane down the runway. :p

chicagojlo Apr 10th 2008 2:21 pm

My MIL wanted to come for a month last time. Luckily my husband put his foot down and said 10 days was all we could manage. We were living in an open plan 700 sq ft loft at the time with no walls. So that was fun...
Now that we have a house I can see him letting her come for longer :eek:

kins Apr 11th 2008 2:01 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6186105)
Sounds like my inlaws - doesn't matter where we are or what we suggest, they just want to watch BBC and drink the tea they brought for themselves!

I thought it was only my mum who did that...

I feel a weird mixture of relief and sadness when they leave. It's a relief to have the house back to ourselves but I miss them like crazy.

Ray Apr 11th 2008 3:20 am

Im' just glad it was not MrsLondon .....