Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When To Sell Car? Also Any Recommendations?

When To Sell Car? Also Any Recommendations?

Old May 6th 2019, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When To Sell Car? Also Any Recommendations?

Originally Posted by Bob
See AWD in the ditch all the time here too....It's crap driving, not the car. People see AWD and don't brake or corner to speeds and AWD won't help at all with that.

Backup cameras are legally required since last year I think. They're mostly shit though on lower end cars. They're still mostly shit anyway.
All of the above!

We don't get much winter weather in my neck of the woods, but when there is snow on the ground and school is cancelled I stay home, not because I can't drive in snow, but because other people can't, either driving like effing idiots because they have 4WD, or scared $4!tless and getting in everyone's way!

The camera on Mrs P's 2016 Accord is worse than useless at night. I am not sure if it is because the reversing lights are about as much use as a couple of glowworms, or because the camera is crap in the dark, eitherway, the camera is not much use when reversing at night.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 6th 2019 at 6:52 pm.
Old May 6th 2019, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
So we bought a brand new Toyota Camry XLE back in 2012 when we first moved to the USA! Paid $27K and the title is now in our hand. It has got approx 80K miles on it (over a period of 7 years). We changed our tires in November, 2017. We’ve got our State Inspection expiring end of May and got 2 major repairs- Sway Bar Link needs replacement and Ball Joint needs replacing to pass inspection totaling approx $900.

Question 1: Would you sell the car before sticker expires, or would you do the repairs and keep the car another year? Bearing in mind we live in MA so winters are terrible and it doesn’t have a back up camera nor is it an AWD (Dh used to drive more often but with new job and commuting by train I now drive approx 20miles a day)

My answer is the same as most others here: Keep it. You have a car that can easily go 200K is maintained that you have owned from new and hence know how it has been treated, with no more payments. This car will do everything a newer car can do just as well, and you get another 120K motoring. $900 to pass the inspection is cheaper than buying a new car. If you are only using it 20 miles a day and have managed with no AWD and no backup camera then I think it's a waste to buy a new car for that.

HOWEVER, I also totally understand if, after 8 years of ownership, you just want a change.

Question 2: If you were to sell where do you sell the car? Dealers Or Craigslist/Facebook?
If you were to sell, I prefer Facebook these days. I've had good experiences and it seems harder for scammers as you have to have an account to use it and hence a seller can see who you are more than on craigslist. That said, a 2012 car with 80K might interest a dealer, but only if you are prepared to take pennies on the dollar for it and why would you do that?

Question 3: Do we lease or buy a car? If buying do we buy a brand new 2019 with all the latest and greatest technology or do we buy a used less miles 2017/2018 car?
Leasing makes sense if you want a new car every 3 years, beyond that it is a false economy. If you're looking at 1-2 yr ol used cars, why are you looking at selling your current one?

Question 4: If we end up buying we are looking to get an SUV. What makes/model do you recommend? We’ve been looking at Toyota Rav 4, Nissan Sport Rouge, Honda HRV, and last/least BMW X1/X3. Features: Heated Seats, Lane Assist bigger boot space for Atleast 3 suitcases that can fit inside.
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and am pleased with it, but I cannot comment on the others.
Old May 6th 2019, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
See AWD in the ditch all the time here too....It's crap driving, not the car. People see AWD and don't brake or corner to speeds and AWD won't help at all with that.

Backup cameras are legally required since last year I think. They're mostly shit though on lower end cars. They're still mostly shit anyway.
Totally agree, both my cars re AWD though (Indiana) for the following reasons:

1. My wife's 2015 Ford Escape: I take comfort in knowing if we have snow she shouldn't have any issues getting home (in fact twice since buying it, the AWD has been needed, and nice to have when it was). Plus I bought it used and it came with it so win win.
2. My 2007 Santa Fe. I tow a trailer with it and intend on getting a boat during its lifetime with me, and AWD is so much better for pulling boats out of slipways (ask me how I know)
Old May 6th 2019, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with a lot of advice above, namely keep your car as long as it stays reliable. I drive a 20 year old BMW and am hoping to keep it a while yet.
Old May 6th 2019, 10:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All of the above!

We don't get much winter weather in my neck of the woods, but when there is snow on the ground and school is cancelled I stay home, not because I can't drive in snow, but because other people can't, either driving like effing idiots because they have 4WD, or scared $4!tless and getting in everyone's way!

The camera on Mrs P's 2016 Accord is worse than useless at night. I am not sure if it is because the reversing lights are about as much use as a couple of glowworms, or because the camera is crap in the dark, eitherway, the camera is not much use when reversing at night.
My backup camera does exactly what I need it for, when I reverse on to my driveway every night I can check that no child or dog is behind me. Having learned to drive in the UK I have no issues with parking, but I can’t get around the physics of the height of my children and the back of my car.
Old May 6th 2019, 10:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
My backup camera does exactly what I need it for, when I reverse on to my driveway every night I can check that no child or dog is behind me. Having learned to drive in the UK I have no issues with parking, but I can’t get around the physics of the height of my children and the back of my car.
I'm guessing that your driveway is both short and straight.

I learned to drive in the UK too, and so know the importance of being able to see where I am backing, and the designer of my wife's coupé seems to have traded good rear vision using mirrors (I know, it's a fairly common issue with sporty cars) and proper reverse lighting for a camera with poor image at night and glowworm rear lights. We have no such issues with either my truck, my Mustang, or our much older Accord, as they all have better mirrors and better reversing lights.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 6th 2019 at 10:29 pm.
Old May 6th 2019, 10:46 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed it is straight, short is a relative term, I can snow blow it it in 30-45 mins and park 6 cars on it for context. My issue is that aside from not reversing on to the road, I reverse in specificity because with my backup cam, I can 100% verify nothing has moved in to my path, which they can do a speed. And pulling out in the AM is nonissue because it’s 6am and there are less likely to be dogs or children in front of me.
Old May 6th 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by tht
Indeed it is straight, short is a relative term, I can snow blow it it in 30-45 mins and park 6 cars on it for context. My issue is that aside from not reversing on to the road, I reverse in specificity because with my backup cam, I can 100% verify nothing has moved in to my path, which they can do a speed. And pulling out in the AM is nonissue because it’s 6am and there are less likely to be dogs or children in front of me.
I am not sure what you can blow in 30-45 minutes. I usually clear the snow from my driveway by leaving it out in the sun until lunchtime.

I have never filled my driveway with vehicles, but there is room for five or six directly outside the garage and probably another five or six on the driveway down to the road. FWIW the driveway has an S-bend in it; and there are no street lights; …. and we are shaded by trees on both sides. And I am perfectly capable of backing any of our vehicles up, or down the driveaway, but the reversing camera on the only vehicle we have that has one, suxx!

Old May 6th 2019, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I consider my backup camera as supplementary to mirrors and 'over the shoulder'. I use all when backing up. Night vision is usable but not great.

Where the camera comes into its own is hooking up my trailer.
Old May 6th 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I consider my backup camera as supplementary to mirrors and 'over the shoulder'. I use all when backing up. Night vision is usable but not great. …. :
Quite! So our problem is as much with the crappy reversing lights as it is with the poor night vision capability of the camera.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 7th 2019 at 12:51 am.
Old May 7th 2019, 5:59 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not sure what you can blow in 30-45 minutes. I usually clear the snow from my driveway by leaving it out in the sun until lunchtime.

I have never filled my driveway with vehicles, but there is room for five or six directly outside the garage and probably another five or six on the driveway down to the road. FWIW the driveway has an S-bend in it; and there are no street lights; …. and we are shaded by trees on both sides. And I am perfectly capable of backing any of our vehicles up, or down the driveaway, but the reversing camera on the only vehicle we have that has one, suxx!
generally 4-11 inches of snow, if it looks heavier than that I go out in the night to do a first pass. It would probably remain for weeks or longer if I let it accumulate. I have never filled my driveway with cars either, but guests have parked on it unti it is full and I made a metal note of the number of cars. We have no street lights either close to property, which is great for stargazing, I have a motion activated floodlight, once I I am lined up I could reverse with my eyes closed, but again my point to the OP was that I think the backup camera is great for confirming nothing has moved in to my path, in the blind spot that is the back of the car..
Old May 8th 2019, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the OP's post; is the Q5 CPO?

If so, I'd probably go with the Q5, I don't care what anyone says, the higher quality interior, less road noise and improved driving experience would outweigh the reliability and longevity concerns for me. But, I change my vehicles extremely regularly so I never worry too much about reliability as a factor as they're always in warranty, making that mostly moot.

Also, there's just something "better" about an Audi than a Toyota, call it brand snobbery (which it is) but it's a factor for me personally.

I've driven countless Camry's, Corollas, Avensis (UK) and 4Runners, and to me there's just something a little soulless about them, just a way to get from A-B, which admittedly is their purpose, but they just feel so "beige"
Old May 8th 2019, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Back to the OP's post; is the Q5 CPO?

If so, I'd probably go with the Q5, I don't care what anyone says, the higher quality interior, less road noise and improved driving experience would outweigh the reliability and longevity concerns for me. But, I change my vehicles extremely regularly so I never worry too much about reliability as a factor as they're always in warranty, making that mostly moot.

Also, there's just something "better" about an Audi than a Toyota, call it brand snobbery (which it is) but it's a factor for me personally.

I've driven countless Camry's, Corollas, Avensis (UK) and 4Runners, and to me there's just something a little soulless about them, just a way to get from A-B, which admittedly is their purpose, but they just feel so "beige"
I'll take soulless any day, the only vehicle to ever dump me on a roundabout was an Audi, blowing a hole in a cylinder in the busiest spot in South Devon with two young sprogs on board is not my idea of fun, comfy but a piece of junk.
Come to think of it the only four wheeled vehicles to ever dump an engine on me were the Audi and my beloved old Triumph Herald, I expected it from the 70's 1300 but the 2 litre turbo A8 was a bit of a surprise, and disappointment.