Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When are the school hols in the States?

Wikiposts

When are the school hols in the States?

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:48 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When are the school hols in the States?

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I loved snow days as a kid. If it was supposed to snow I'd wake up in the morning and rush straight to the window to see if it would be enough for possibly a delay or ... oooh ... a closure!
It has to be a white-out blizzard for the schools to be closed here in Chicago. People here are basically rally-type experts at driving in heavy snow.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:31 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Traditionally, when the US was more agriculturally based than industrially based, the school year was geared to the planting/harvesting season-kids needed to help out.

Up north, we always started school the Wed after Labor Day, were off for the Federal holidays, 2 weeks for Xmas, 2 weeks in Feb, a week at Easter. However, the school year didn't end until after the middle of June. Down South, the kids generally get out much earlier and start much earlier. Plus they don't seem to have as many days off as I did years ago..
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:28 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We really miss the two weeks at christmas and easter and the half terms. It makes it hard to go away other than in the summer break when a lot of places here are very, very hot. It also means that to go to the UK for 2 or 3 weeks is very expensive because it has to be in the summer.
We often used to fly to England over Christmas - flew out Christmas day, returned to the US New Years Day. Christmas day is a great day to fly; the airlines seem to have regular schedules, but no-one's travelling (we're not Christians so spending the day travelling was actually a plus because you miss the lugubrious holiday )
This raises an interesting paradox; USA is a profoundly religious country, but "open for business" on Easter and Christmas; UK is profoundly secular, yet closes down for several days on those two holidays.
Anyway, to get back on topic; no children have school between Dec 24 and Jan 1, so it can be a good time for a family trip.

Robin
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:06 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Here's my kids' calendar:

August 20
Institute Day, No School, All Grades

August 21
First Day of School for Grades 1-12,
AM Attendance Only

August 22
First Day of School for Preschool &
Kindergarten, Regular Schedule All Grades

September3
Labor Day, No School

September 21
Inservice Day, AM Attendance Only for AM
Preschool, AM Kindergarten & Grades 1-12

October8
Columbus Day, No School

October 26
Inservice Day, AM Attendance Only for PM
Preschool, PM Kindergarten & Grades 1-12

November 19,20, 21, 22, & 23
Thanksgiving Recess, No School

December 24 – Jan. 4
Winter Break, No School

January 21
Martin Luther King Day, No School

January 22
Teacher Work Day, No School

February 1

February 18
President’s Day, No School

February 29

March 21
Non-Attendance Day, No School

March 31-April 4
Spring Break, No School

April 25
Pre-School, PM Kindergarten & Grades 1-12

May 26
Memorial Day, No School

June 2
Last Day of School, Preschool and
Kindergarten

June 3
Last Day of School, Grades 1-12, AM only

June 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10
Emergency Days

...should give you an idea.
I teach HS in Ohio and this is pretty much our schedule also. Each state has a minimum requirement of "school hours" the students must be in attendance. In the midwest, you can usually count on a few snow days also in the winter. Some schools in my area that do not have air conditioning started this week, but are either letting out early or cancelling classes due to the heat/humidiy (Tuesday low 90s with over 70% humidity).
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my kids' calendar:

August 20

August 21
First Day of School for Grades 1-12,
AM Attendance Only

August 22
First Day of School for Preschool &
Kindergarten, Regular Schedule All Grades

September3
Labor Day, No School

September 21

October8
Columbus Day, No School

October 26
Preschool, PM Kindergarten & Grades 1-12

November 19,20, 21, 22, & 23
Thanksgiving Recess, No School

December 24 – Jan. 4
Winter Break, No School

January 21
Martin Luther King Day, No School

January 22
Teacher Work Day, No School

February 1

February 18
President’s Day, No School

February 29

March 21
Non-Attendance Day, No School

March 31-April 4
Spring Break, No School

April 25
Pre-School, PM Kindergarten & Grades 1-12

May 26
Memorial Day, No School

June 2
Last Day of School, Preschool and
Kindergarten

June 3
Last Day of School, Grades 1-12, AM only

June 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10
Emergency Days

...should give you an idea.
Wow - thanks Hiro. You guys are saviours!

Originally Posted by jumping doris
My kids get a lot less here.
They finish in late June and go back end of August. They get the US bank holidays like labour day, memorial day, thanksgiving etc. They get a few days in early Nov and 1 week at Christmas and 1 week at easter (spring break) Our Spring break always coincides with easter, so I have been told, but I have also been told that in other areas that isn't always the case.

We really miss the two weeks at christmas and easter and the half terms.
It makes it hard to go away other than in the summer break when a lot of places here are very, very hot. It also means that to go to the UK for 2 or 3 weeks is very expensive because it has to be in the summer.
My children are older and if I take them out of school they miss a lot more than they seemed to do in the UK. I think it may be because they have such a lot of homework here.

We are learning to be the masters of the 2 day vacation!

Forgot to mention snow days. If they miss any days of school because of snow they have to make them up at the end of the summer term.
Thanks Jumping doris. I agree with you about missing the half-terms etc. It strikes me as awfully long terms. My daugthers knackered at after 6 straight weeks of school. Can't imagine what she'll be like after 9 - with only the odd Monday off!

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Google is your friend

Penguinsix - You are the fount of all knowledge, and I bow down before your eternal greatness... Or to put it another way, THANKS! Google isn't my only friend since I joined this lovely site!

http://www.lake.k12.fl.us/LCSPortal/...3/Default.aspx
Originally Posted by apw619
Hopefully you have found the answer to your question on the internet by goggling the local school districts. But to add to the equation , schools here (see footinmouthnote*) have a tendency to close for halfdays (it still counts a a full-days education for the students, and a full working-day for staff since they are being trained) not always with a lot of advance warning; and then there are snowdays and also the "we didn't get any snow" days. Basically the school calendars are very moveable (a bit like Easter). Don't just consider your kids concerns, think of your own!

* i live (and my children go to school) in NJ, but long long ago, in the days of Paul Vallas, in the far far away and very cold windy land of Chicago Illinois, I was a consultant at the Board Of Education, and there we fought dragons...
Apw - you make me laugh!

Originally Posted by penguinsix
That reminds me of another thing. Some school districts, particularly in suburbs with a lot of commuters, start their school day quite early. First classes at 7:30 or something. They like to get the kids off teh streets before all the commuters start going nuts.

No idea about your school--but you might be in for some early mornings.
Can't wait for that sodding alarm clock to scare the sh*t out of me on a crisp winters morn...

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I teach HS in Ohio and this is pretty much our schedule also. Each state has a minimum requirement of "school hours" the students must be in attendance. In the midwest, you can usually count on a few snow days also in the winter. Some schools in my area that do not have air conditioning started this week, but are either letting out early or cancelling classes due to the heat/humidiy (Tuesday low 90s with over 70% humidity).
Yeah I checked the site penguinsix mentioned and it said students must do 180 days. This is probably similar to the UK only spread over a different amount of time.

This is gonna all take a bit of getting used to but I'll get there. Thanks for all your help again guys. Regards Keira
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:41 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

It has to be a white-out blizzard for the schools to be closed here in Chicago. People here are basically rally-type experts at driving in heavy snow.
Sadly, for my kids, our school superintendant is from somewhere like Maine and so he rarely calls a snow day or a delay. This year we had freezing rain and that was why he let them off. I have never seen freezing rain before and I was amazed at how everything looks, coated in crystal clear ice and I had no idea of the damage it can do to trees and power lines.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, for my kids, our school superintendant is from somewhere like Maine and so he rarely calls a snow day or a delay. This year we had freezing rain and that was why he let them off. I have never seen freezing rain before and I was amazed at how everything looks, coated in crystal clear ice and I had no idea of the damage it can do to trees and power lines.
Yes, here's a pic from our neighborhood after freezing rain last year. You can see how bent down the trees, etc. are ...

Poor tree.
Attached Thumbnails When are the school hols in the States?-blue-ash-2_14_07.jpg  
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention how much fun it is getting in your car!:curse:
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:50 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, here's a pic from our neighborhood after freezing rain last year. You can see how bent down the trees, etc. are ...

Poor tree.
I live in Beavercreek (close to Dayton) now for past 4 years but lived rest of my life in and around Cinci (mostly Anderson/Turpin). What side of town do you live? If you need any local info. let me know.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I live in Beavercreek (close to Dayton) now for past 4 years but lived rest of my life in and around Cinci (mostly Anderson/Turpin). What side of town do you live? If you need any local info. let me know.
HA! I lived in West Carrollton for 7 years! Ex was from Kettering.

Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:09 am
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by cindyabs

Small world! Lucky you....you do not live here any more. Ex is from the same area of Cinci I was from.....I wish he'd move back but he now lives 5 from myself and new hubby. Have a good day!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs

My husband is from Kettering!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:19 pm
Sursum corda

My husband is from Kettering!
Ex grew up on Brydon Rd, right off of Dorothy Lane.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:54 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The "traditional school year" ended around Memorial Day (last Monday in May) and began after Labor Day (first Monday in September). Families would take a month-long holiday or spend the entire summer on the lake or at the shore. Not any more!

These days there are year-round schools (with breaks between sessions), but most schools still follow some variation of the standard year. Time off for "winter break" is anywhere from two weeks to a month; there is usually a week off in spring, generally in March, which may or may not coincide with Easter. The Friday after Thanksgiving is usually a holiday; sometimes the Wednesday preceding Thanksgiving is a holiday.

Then there are odd days here and there for certain holidays that vary by region, and days reserved for teacher training and parent-teacher conferences, when the kids aren't in school.

The reason for having "make up" days for bad weather is not because they want to make sure Junior is learning everything. All schools receive money from the federal government based upon average attendance and how many days school is in session. One day missed means missing a day's worth of funding. Attendance is checked/taken at a fixed time of the day, so if your child needs to be out of school for a doctor's appointment, it's best to schedule before or after the attendance time.

As others have said, you should Google on the school district(s) that you will be in.... and see what their calendar is like.

And unless you go to a private school, no religious holidays can be recognised at school, so Christmas pageants are Not Allowed, nor is talk of Easter.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And unless you go to a private school, no religious holidays can be recognised at school, so Christmas pageants are Not Allowed, nor is talk of Easter.
Or apparently as of this year, Halloween.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.