Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When moving to the US are there custom charges during shipping

When moving to the US are there custom charges during shipping

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Tempelton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When moving to the US are there custom charges during shipping

I'm in the same boat here - shipping my dvd collection - so I'm just wondering what duty you did finally have to pay?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all

In the end I didnt have to pay anything.
I just got a call one day saying that my crate had reached their warehouse and when do I want it delivered.
The crate was never opened so I guess customs didnt manually check what was inside.
I had to make an extensive list of what was packed, but that was for the moving company, not sure if customs even saw that list!

At any rate I think most personal items are ok.

KK
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Tempelton is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. It will be worth it to get my movies shipped in the end (I hope!)

Cheers,

T
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember, you can bring most items you have owned, for more then 1 year & can do so for 10 years, after emigrating. May of changed since we came. Somewhere, I have an old Customs booklet.

Or maybe I am only dreaming.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Do UK DVD's play on US players? I'm really out of touch with whether they are compatible? A guy in my London office just gave me copies of Slumdog, Revolutionary Road and Q of Solace and said they will play on my player in the US as they are "multi region". Not really sure what he meant?
I remember 10 years ago buying CDs during a trip back to UK and taking them to Cayman and they wouldn't play... I guess technology has advanced since then.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

There have been numerous theards on hacking DVD players on both sides of the pond to make them region free which then allows them to play either region 1 or region 2 discs. Check out http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks