Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When moving to the US are there custom charges during shipping

When moving to the US are there custom charges during shipping

Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all
Default When moving to the US are there custom charges during shipping

Hi,
I will be moving to the US to work soon. My company has agreed to pay for the shipping of my goods but I just wanted to know if I would likely to be paying import duty?
There are some things I can leave behind like my TV but I'd like to keep my computers (mine and my wifes) and hardware. We also have quite a big dvd collection and books.
Is all this stuff likely to get taxed?

Additionally, I practice martial arts and so have several high quality and expensive swords. Will I have a problem brining these in?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

KK
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When moving to the US are there custom charges during shipping

cant comment on swords at all.

we came across in october and the firm paid for our shipping. We could not take any foodstuffs or drink in our container. Also they didnt want to take cleaning products that were flammable. Other than that we took all the things you describe and had no fees to pay.

I believe they occasionally open freight containers for inspection. (dont know if this is random or due to them sniffing something) but THAT can cost quite a few dollars if it happens. If you obey the rules then you should be okay and have a small chance of the inspection fees.

Will also depend if you have a full container or a share of one - as if you share you have to hope the others follow the rules but at least would share and inspection fees.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

AFAIK you don't have to pay anything as long it's all "personal possessions". Despite Uncle Sam's long arms, he has not yet found a way to tax us on stuff we already own. It's things like gifts or anything for resale that are elegible for tax.

Be as precise as possible when listing what you're shipping, while describing it all under the umbrella of "personal possessions". Customs can and sometimes does randomly search shipments and there'll be a red flag if half of what they see is not listed.

The shipping company will be able to advise you on the swords but they shouldn't be a problem since owning a sword is perfectly legal in the US (as is owning a gun, of course).

Last edited by wordfool; Mar 26th 2008 at 4:18 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Our shipment got inspected, during a random check.

No problems, just opened a couple of boxes and had a dog sniff them.

But did cost $240.

Nice
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sniff around here: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing_goods/ and make sure you are looking under the correct immigrant category.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:47 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

For US citizens I think you can bring personal possessions that you have owned for > 1 year. Coming in with a brand new TV still in the box would be a no-no.

Don't know the specifics for expats, sorry.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImmortalNinja
Hi
Additionally, I practice martial arts and so have several high quality and expensive swords. Will I have a problem brining these in?
People bring in shotguns ..so I doubt a couple of sword
would be a problem..just have them well packed ..

In your hand luggage would be a problem
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
For US citizens I think you can bring personal possessions that you have owned for > 1 year. Coming in with a brand new TV still in the box would be a no-no.

Don't know the specifics for expats, sorry.
Yes, I seem to remember the goods had to be a year old.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough

What would the charge be for a dinning room suite, from Liverpool to Michigan....anyone know.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:09 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you have to pay by container or 'part' thereof - so you need to get the packed dimensions and get a quote.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough

Thanks MsElui, I'll do that.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving on Tuesday...we looked into shipping stuff out there, but decided it'd be easier and cheaper to just put everything is suitcases....so we'll be going with 4 large suitcases each + laptop bag each + carry on rolling suitcase each! It's going to be quite a struggle picking that lot up from the baggage belt!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Kevin M is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a lot better about moving all my stuff now

KK
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:54 am
Just Joined

William Semmes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ImmortalNinja
Hi,
I will be moving to the US to work soon. My company has agreed to pay for the shipping of my goods but I just wanted to know if I would likely to be paying import duty?
There are some things I can leave behind like my TV but I'd like to keep my computers (mine and my wifes) and hardware. We also have quite a big dvd collection and books.
Is all this stuff likely to get taxed?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

KK
You only pay duty on goods you bought during the past year - if it was antique furniture, no duty. Clothes, etc. don't worry but do make sure the M&S price tags aren't still on them. Customs duty is assessed on liquor and wine (wine $3.50 per bottle) so unless it's good stuff, don't bring much. For people moving here should not be an issue - I've sent 2 containers and nothing said - no duty. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.