Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When I leave the USA, whom do I need to tell?

When I leave the USA, whom do I need to tell?

Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:03 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question When I leave the USA, whom do I need to tell?

OK so next week I have a third interview for a brill job in New Zealand, and am pretty damn hopeful of getting a job offer out of this. We're leaving anyway, with or without a job offer, and signed the contract with our estate agent yesterday. House is going on the market next Monday, at $20K less than our next-door neighbour's house.

Yesterday hubby and I spent a few hours calling up places we have credit cards with, and cancelling them all, then happily shredding them. I still have a few more to get rid of, ugh!

We're going to leave one bank account open, and put hubby's mum on it too, so we do have one person on it who is still in the US.

Who else do we need to tell? When we close on our house, our county taxes will be taken care of, and our mortgage. We've liquidated all our stocks, 401Ks and pensions, and just have cold, hard cash in the bank.

Do we need to tell the IRS, or will they pick that up when we file next year?

How about driving licences? Just keep them, or what?

Should we inform the Social Security Administration so credit cards can't be opened in our names?

(Can we get a lump sum payout of our SS benefits early? )

We're also going to get our mail forwarded to our new PO Box in Wellington.

I have absolutely zero intention of returning to the US, unless it's for a short holiday, or it's en route to somewhere else for holidays.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Maz; Aug 15th 2007 at 7:13 pm. Reason: forgot a bit
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:30 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When I leave the USA, whom do I need to tell?

I assume you are not a citizen, else I think you have to file with the IRS for life!!!!

If you have a green card, it will expire. Coming in on a waiver for a vacation should be OK but make sure you have proof it's just a vacation!! If the green card is still valid, you raise an interesting question...

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:36 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
We're going to leave one bank account open, and put hubby's mum on it too, so we do have one person on it who is still in the US.
Good idea. That saves heaps of stress dealing with the bank nincompoops on the phone.

Originally Posted by Maz
Who else do we need to tell? When we close on our house, our county taxes will be taken care of, and our mortgage. We've liquidated all our stocks, 401Ks and pensions, and just have cold, hard cash in the bank.

No need to tell IRS. You can file at the normal time each April.

Originally Posted by Maz
Yes, keep them. You can drive here on your home licence for one year before you need to get a New Zealand licence. Getting the New Zealand licence is a piece of cake, so no worries there.

Originally Posted by Maz
Should we inform the Social Security Administration so credit cards can't be opened in our names?
That wouldn't hurt. Call them and ask.

Originally Posted by Maz
You haven't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. You'll have to wait until you're like 93 or something as the buggers in Washington keep moving the goalposts. :curse:

Originally Posted by Maz

I have absolutely zero intention of returning to the US, unless it's for a short holiday, or it's en route to somewhere else for holidays.

Thanks for any feedback.
HTH

-happynz
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:37 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
I assume you are not a citizen, else I think you have to file with the IRS for life!!!!

If you have a green card, it will expire. Coming in on a waiver for a vacation should be OK but make sure you have proof it's just a vacation!! If the green card is still valid, you raise an interesting question...

Good luck.
I'm sorry, I omitted to mention that. I am a dual citizen, UK/US.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
If you've had the greencard for x amount of time, you'll have to file for a few years to come as well, I think if you've had it for ten years though not sure.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
OK so next week I have a third interview for a brill job in New Zealand, and am pretty damn hopeful of getting a job offer out of this. We're leaving anyway, with or without a job offer, and signed the contract with our estate agent yesterday. House is going on the market next Monday, at $20K less than our next-door neighbour's house.

Yesterday hubby and I spent a few hours calling up places we have credit cards with, and cancelling them all, then happily shredding them. I still have a few more to get rid of, ugh!

Thanks for any feedback.
New Zealand is fantastic I lived in Auckland as a kid...loved it. All the very best to you in NZ, God Speed! Wellington or Welly as we called it is BEAUTIFUL! Good luck!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:42 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by happynz
No need to tell IRS. You can file at the normal time each April.
Super, thanks!

Yes, keep them. You can drive here on your home licence for one year before you need to get a New Zealand licence. Getting the New Zealand licence is a piece of cake, so no worries there.
I found it extremely easy driving there, and very very few bad drivers. That odd right-turn rule got me a couple of times though.

That wouldn't hurt. Call them and ask.
Will do, thanks.

HTH

-happynz
Greatly, thanks happy!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:43 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
New Zealand is fantastic I lived in Auckland as a kid...loved it. All the very best to you in NZ, God Speed! Wellington or Welly as we called it is BEAUTIFUL! Good luck!
Thanks! We spent most of April on the North Island and over a week in central Welly. I miss that city immensely, cannot wait to be back!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:43 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Oh yeah, hey Maz. If you start out on a work permit here and you want to save a hundred and twenty bucks get the work visa in your US passport. It seems US citizens don't have to pony up for the work visa, but UK citizens do. Work permits cost the same for US and UK citizens, though.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:47 pm
Maz

Oh yeah, hey Maz. If you start out on a work permit here and you want to save a hundred and twenty bucks get the work visa in your US passport. It seems US citizens don't have to pony up for the work visa, but UK citizens do. Work permits cost the same for US and UK citizens, though.
That is really bizarre! Actually I was intending on leaving the US on my US passport, and entering NZ on my UK one so in case we go in as visitors, I have 6 months instead of 3. My potential future employer will most likely pay for it, though. They have a whole department dedicated to hiring migrants, and are an accredited employer.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:52 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Oh Maz...I'm so excited for you girl!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:00 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Oh Maz...I'm so excited for you girl!
Thanks TT! Uh, I mean RL...
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
Thanks TT! Uh, I mean RL...
yeah, go girl, tons of good luck
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:03 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good luck to you and your family Maz
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:45 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah, go girl, tons of good luck
Originally Posted by DollyLlama
Lots of good luck to you and your family Maz
Awww thanks you two! And thank you for the karma, too. xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.