Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When/How do you apply for High School?

When/How do you apply for High School?

Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default When/How do you apply for High School?

My daughter is starting 8th Grade next week and her last year in Middle School.. I have no idea when or how I am supposed to apply for High School.. Is it done through the middle school like the UK, or do I have to do it independantly?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:24 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When/How do you apply for High School?

Originally Posted by sambapink
My daughter is starting 8th Grade next week and her last year in Middle School.. I have no idea when or how I am supposed to apply for High School.. Is it done through the middle school like the UK, or do I have to do it independantly?
Okay you're taking the piss now But it just so happens that you have come to the right place. I'm pretty sure UGA crew may be able to provide some considerable input on this issue
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Summer/Fall of the year prior, usually.

Some school districts start high school in grade 9 (most), some in grade 10. You should just call the high school for your area and ask.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Okay you're taking the piss now But it just so happens that you have come to the right place. I'm pretty sure UGA crew may be able to provide some considerable input on this issue
I know the bloody cheek of me to keep asking questions - I went through a bit of a draught of asking questions, so I thought i'd come back with avengence!! - I asked a couple of 'moms' and they kinda looked at me blankly - both their kids already have places at the High School because their brothers went there...

Anyway sod off you.. do you know or not..?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about some special school? You don't have to apply to go to the average public high school. You attend the one that serves your residence.

This is the internet version of a blank look.....
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:34 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I know the bloody cheek of me to keep asking questions - I went through a bit of a draught of asking questions, so I thought i'd come back with avengence!! - I asked a couple of 'moms' and they kinda looked at me blankly - both their kids already have places at the High School because their brothers went there...

Do mean public or private?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Do mean public or private?
I just mean High School.. normal public school... In the UK we have to apply to the school we want our child to go to.. whether its in our catchment area or not. So does my daughter automatically just get a place there? What if i want to try and get her into another school out of our 'catchment' area?

I'm not having a blonde moment , honest
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Of course she can. She knows everything about everything and is a clone of Ray ... never wrong (maybe)

Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:41 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm far too young to have kids that old
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm far too young to have kids that old
So am i...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I just mean High School.. normal public school... In the UK we have to apply to the school we want our child to go to.. whether its in our catchment area or not. So does my daughter automatically just get a place there? What if i want to try and get her into another school out of our 'catchment' area?

Easiest way to get the correct answer for your school district is to call your board of education.

Here in Yonkers you can pick and choose your high school if the racial quota has not been filled. This is white quota as well as black quota. Also there are two technical high schools so you have to pass tests in order to go to them. However, those tests are given the year before your last year in Middle School.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:44 pm
Banned

So am i...
I thought they could be adopted looking at your photos
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:45 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We just have one high school that serves our township and, unless you want to go private, thats where you go in 9th grade. For us it is just an automatic move and we don't "do"anything. We get to go to a "moving to high school" talk and the kids get to go and look around at the end of 8th grade.

Here , you can't go to another high school unless you move into it's area. As the schools are funded by our property taxes , you have to live in the town to use the schools and they are very strict about it.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought they could be adopted looking at your photos
Awww fank you But sadly I have the scars to show for them...

Thanks for replies.. I just assumed that it would be a long protracted serious of forms and testing and all sorts.. I'll call the school district
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We just have one high school that serves our township and, unless you want to go private, thats where you go in 9th grade. For us it is just an automatic move and we don't "do"anything. We get to go to a "moving to high school" talk and the kids get to go and look around at the end of 8th grade.
Oh yeah.. we had that talk! They warned us about getting 'trashed' (stuck upside down in a garbage can) and the 9th Graders trying to give us pot.

Like they'd give it away....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.