Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When to get SSN?

When to get SSN?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all
Default Re: When to get SSN?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Unsure why!

If an L2 holder takes his/her marriage certificate, s/he can apply for a SSN irrespective of an EAD.
Hi

Only they know i think
We checked this out several times, and although it doesnt quite state that this is what is to happen, at our local office, they would not process until i had my EAD - because i did want to work over here aswell. It wasnt a hardship, just a pain in the butt having to wait for such a long period of time to get my SSN. Once i got my EAD, i went straight down to the local office and they accepted my application straight away!!!! Who knows.......them and the DMV are definately a law to themselves some times ha ha

BR
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buckers
Hi

Only they know i think
We checked this out several times, and although it doesnt quite state that this is what is to happen, at our local office, they would not process until i had my EAD - because i did want to work over here aswell. It wasnt a hardship, just a pain in the butt having to wait for such a long period of time to get my SSN. Once i got my EAD, i went straight down to the local office and they accepted my application straight away!!!! Who knows.......them and the DMV are definately a law to themselves some times ha ha

BR
For folks in your situation, we send you in with a print out of the relevant part of the manual from ssa.gov. You don't need an EAD to apply for an SSN if you're an L2.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

For folks in your situation, we send you in with a print out of the relevant part of the manual from ssa.gov. You don't need an EAD to apply for an SSN if you're an L2.
Hopefully for others, it wont be the same, as it was a very frustrating experience when we first entered the country, but definately at the office local to us here in VA, they would not even accept an application from me under an L2 visa without my EAD- despite going down several times with different literature taking from the SSA website. Trust me, i didnt enjoy going down there several different times to be told no!!!!

Maybe its different in other parts of the US, not sure but that was definately ours, i hope others have a better experience of this. Either way, i was really just warning people of the possibility, as we werent expecting the difficulties we endured!!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in VA , and I took along my marriage certificate, and they processed my SSN - as you say, I think they are a law unto themselves.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully for others, it wont be the same, as it was a very frustrating experience when we first entered the country, but definately at the office local to us here in VA, they would not even accept an application from me under an L2 visa without my EAD- despite going down several times with different literature taking from the SSA website. Trust me, i didnt enjoy going down there several different times to be told no!!!!

Maybe its different in other parts of the US, not sure but that was definately ours, i hope others have a better experience of this. Either way, i was really just warning people of the possibility, as we werent expecting the difficulties we endured!!
Yep -- they can be frustrating!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Only they know i think

BR
Same thing happened to my wife - East Bay Area office. They won't issue SSn until EAD is obtained. She is on E3D though..
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:31 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by E3only
Same thing happened to my wife - East Bay Area office. They won't issue SSn until EAD is obtained. She is on E3D though..
Print out this page* and take it with you to SSA. If they refuse, ask in a sickly polite way to speak to a manager.

* For some strange reason, ssa.gov's certificate has expired. In a secure browser you will need to accept the certificate to get to the page. Don't worry, it should be perfectly safe.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Print out this page* and take it with you to SSA. If they refuse, ask in a sickly polite way to speak to a manager.

* For some strange reason, ssa.gov's certificate has expired. In a secure browser you will need to accept the certificate to get to the page. Don't worry, it should be perfectly safe.
Doesn't this show -
"E-3* Spouse or child of principal treaty trader in a specialty occupation" to be "Aliens Who Require an EAD from DHS Authorizing Employment"

Where does it say, SSN can be issued without EAD?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't this show -
"E-3* Spouse or child of principal treaty trader in a specialty occupation" to be "Aliens Who Require an EAD from DHS Authorizing Employment"

Where does it say, SSN can be issued without EAD?
This discussion is about L-2 visa holders, not E-3D.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
This discussion is about L-2 visa holders, not E-3D.
Of course, I clearly stated my understanding post #21.

I was not sure if the rules would be different for L2 and E3D. For me, issuing SSN without EAD is a principal rather than visa exclusion - Oh well, we are in America!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, I clearly stated my understanding post #21.

I was not sure if the rules would be different for L2 and E3D. For me, issuing SSN without EAD is a principal rather than visa exclusion - Oh well, we are in America!
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
There are simply different rules for different types of dependents. H-4s, for example, can not get an SSN and can not even apply for an EAD. Each visa class has its own benefits and limitations, depending on its purpose.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
There are simply different rules for different types of dependents. H-4s, for example, can not get an SSN and can not even apply for an EAD. Each visa class has its own benefits and limitations, depending on its purpose.
Hi, yes I understand. I meant to say - both L2 and E3D have work rights and both need SSN and EAD. I was questioning why L2 would be able to get an SSN and why E3D. . Hence my statement 'SSN can be issued without EAD' is a principal. But I realize there may be different rules, may be based on different visa classes

Anyway, I get the drift. The response/reply to my post (#21) made me think may be E3D can get SSN without EAD...all good.