Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When to get SSN?

When to get SSN?

Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Question When to get SSN?

We're likely to be making our move during the first week of November (to Phoenix, AZ), assuming the L1/2 visas are granted a month before (we're renting, and need to give 1 month notice...)

Two weeks before, I'm due to be in Phoenix on business - alone, with wife probably doing some packing!

Can I get the SSN process started on that trip, so that when we do arrive in early Nov, the numbers are all but waiting for us?

If so, how do I do this?

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to get SSN?

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Can I get the SSN process started on that trip, so that when we do arrive in early Nov, the numbers are all but waiting for us?
If you have the visa in your passport, yes... otherwise, no. Anticipation of a visa is not sufficient.

If so, how do I do this?
Fortunately, there is a single source for this... SSA.

Ian
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: When to get SSN?

Wow! That was a quick response!

Many thanks Ian - pointed me at exactly the info I was looking for!

For anybody else interested in getting an SSN in the Phoenix area, it looks like the best way is to go in person with your passport, birth certificate and possibly a letter from your employer confirming details of your job.

Do you need photos for SSN card?

Also, should you opt to remove SSN from Driver's License and other cards/documents - I've seen this mentioned somewhere once before? If so, which documents should you have it omitted from?

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That was a quick response!

Many thanks Ian - pointed me at exactly the info I was looking for!

For anybody else interested in getting an SSN in the Phoenix area, it looks like the best way is to go in person with your passport, birth certificate and possibly a letter from your employer confirming details of your job.

Also, should you opt to remove SSN from Driver's License and other cards/documents - I've seen this mentioned somewhere once before? If so, which documents should you have it omitted from?

Cheers

Harry
You should wait at least 10 days after arrival on your L before visiting the SSA office.

In Phoenix there are only 2 SSA offices where you can apply for a card.

When your wife goes to apply, she will need to take your marriage certificate.

No photos required.

They haven't put your SSN on your drivers license for many years here in AZ.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:12 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever you have the opportunity you should opt to have your SSN omitted. It's one of the Golden Tickets for identity theft. The only people who need to know it are your employers, your bank and anyone else dealing with your finances/taxes. You do not need to put it on job applications (and anything other than basic retail probably won't ask you till the final stage) but a lot of online job forms will make you fill in the field to proceed.

Unfortunately many utilities companies etc will demand it because it's both a unique identifier and also useful in running a credit check on you. They are not legally required to have it, though. If you feel like it you can fight this demand but they often make it more annoying than it's worth. When I was setting up our utility service they gave me a choice - either give them my SSN or come into their offices in person, show photo ID and provide a deposit of several hundred dollars. As I was still in London at the time, I had to take option number one.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Question Re: When to get SSN?

Thanks everybody.

Does arriving the first time on my L1 visa trigger something somewhere?

Just curious about the several times I've seen people mention that i's best to wait 10 days after you first arrive before visiting the SSA office.

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody.

Just curious about the several times I've seen people mention that i's best to wait 10 days after you first arrive before visiting the SSA office.

Cheers

Harry
It triggers one computer to talk to another. But real time is beyond them. If you apply for a SSN before your data's through, you'll initiate a manual check....which takes even longer.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Harry

I am not sure what it triggers, but we went to the SS office as soon as we arrived, and it actually delayed the SSN as our entry record was not in the system - so you would be better to wait 10 days. Also as already advised, make sure your wife takes the marriage certificate - I didnt and had to go back with it - and it is a bit of a hassle to be honest.

Good Luck with the move!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, have you looked at the SSA site at all. Have a look and print out the application form and everything will be answered there.

Cheers

Harry
Can only answer for my driver's license issued by NYS. We do not have social security numbers on our DLs. Not sure if there any other state in the union that does.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:41 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Rete
No, have you looked at the SSA site at all. Have a look and print out the application form and everything will be answered there.
Certainly look at it and see what you need. No point in printing it out though -- they no longer use it in metro Phoenix SSA offices.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody.

Cheers

Harry
When you arrive, your immigration status details are entered in a system called SAVE.
The SSA must verify your immigration status to make sure you are eligible to receive a SSN; they use the SAVE program to do so.
Entry details are not instantaneously entered, which is why you wait 10 days before applying.

As you can see from posts here, going too early and triggering manual verification can delay SSN issuance.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I applied 5 working days after I arrived here. I had no issues...just my experience though.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:33 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by E3only
I applied 5 working days after I arrived here. I had no issues...just my experience though.
I guess it's a weekly batch job.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You should wait at least 10 days after arrival on your L before visiting the SSA office.

In Phoenix there are only 2 SSA offices where you can apply for a card.

When your wife goes to apply, she will need to take your marriage certificate.

No photos required.

They haven't put your SSN on your drivers license for many years here in AZ.

Just so you know when i applied (as the wife of an L1 visa holder) for my SSN i had to wait until i got my EAD to do this. Unless your wife has no intention whatsoever of working whilst over here whilst on the L2 visa that she is on.........EAD takes around 90 days and she should apply as soon as she can on landing in the US. If you have kids, they wont get a SSN whilst you are on the L1, and cant get one with your wife being on a L2 but you can (for the purposes of tax rebates at the end of the tax year) request a TIN number and that will be their equivalent (but only for tax purposes) until they get a green card. We went through this whole process last November so hopefully it will help you out abit as we werent aware of half of this when we came over (or the delays with my SSN) etc.

Good luck with it all.
Tracie
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:33 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by buckers
Just so you know when i applied (as the wife of an L1 visa holder) for my SSN i had to wait until i got my EAD to do this.
Unsure why!

If an L2 holder takes his/her marriage certificate, s/he can apply for a SSN irrespective of an EAD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.