British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   When on earth will my interview be! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/when-earth-will-my-interview-110269/)

skarlett Aug 7th 2002 9:44 pm

When on earth will my interview be!

Here`s the lowdown:

I`m Canadian, my husband is American. We have been married 4 years. He is in San francisco, I`m in Montréal. We first submitted the I-130 back in May, 2001, so it`s been 14 months so far. We submitted our application from Montréal originally when we were living here together because he has residency here. The I-230 has been submitted, so has the I-864(affadavit of support). When can I expect the interview date? Are there any Canadians out there going through or who have been through something similar?
Or, does anyone at all have any advice?:confused:

Rete Aug 7th 2002 11:59 pm

Not for that length of time. Even Perdue who had problems with RFE's from the NVC had a timeline of less than 10 months from start to finish.

Let me see if I have this straight:

You submitted the I-130 to Nebraska because hubby was living with you in Canada. From there you have the second NOA (Notice of Approval) and it was sent to the National Visa Center. You received the package from the NVC, completed everything and mailed it back and are awaiting the final interview date at the US Consulate in Montreal?

Depending on when you submitted the package to the NVC, I would have hubby in SF start calling them until he gets someone to talk with and/or call his political rep to light a fire under a few arses.

Rete

skarlett Aug 8th 2002 11:45 am

skarlett`s dilemna

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Rete!

Yes- we did send the I-130 to Nebraska and waited 10 months alone for our notice of approval!

The NVC received my I-230 on July 17th (I only received the package on July 8th). My husband sent the affadavit of support 2 months ago but the problem is this:
We just found out 3 days ago that he did not include a document he was supposed to (and this after having a lawyer go over it with him and approve it!). They have told us he won`t receive the actual notice until 3-4 weeks from now, and that he should wait for the package to come in before he sends the required document. I can see this setting us back another two months by the time he receives it and then sends it back for another 3-4 weeks of processing.

And here I was thinking I would be reiving my interview date in a few weeks...aaarggh.

Does it make sense at this point to apply for the K-3 visa, or do you think it will only be a waste of time at this point?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions...
Thanks!

Rete Aug 8th 2002 1:09 pm

With the Missouri Center taking what seems to be 3 to 4 months to wade through their pile of K-3's, it would not be worth going that route. At least that is my opinion.

You're correct that hubby should not send the missing document until notified. They normally send a return envelope for you to use and that will insure (hopefully) that it is matched up with your paperwork. In the past it appeared that people getting and RFE for missing paperwork had their petitions approved within a short time.

It is ridiculous isn't it that you have to wait over a year for an approved I-130. You're a Canadian and he is a USC.

Hoping for a quick turn around for you two.

Rete

Shannon Aug 8th 2002 3:43 pm

FYI I filed my 1-130 in May 2000

It was sent from Seattle INS to Nebraska SC.

I received the second NOA (approval) in July and my interview is scheduled for late August.

skarlett Aug 8th 2002 4:04 pm

Shannon:

Congratulations on having received your interview date! Will you have to leave the U.S. or are you already there with hubby? I can`t believe it took two years...are you Canadian also?

Shannon Aug 8th 2002 5:07 pm

I came to the US on a B1/B2 and married my husband. I am from Australia but have been here in the US ever since (bit less than 2 years).

The weird thing is that, on the advice of Seattle INS, I filed a second I-130 in Seattle in March this year (in order to qualify for AP from Seattle) and it was approved BEFORE the one I submitted to Nebraska. I asked Nebraska to withdraw my I-130 and refund fees (to avoid duplicate) but received no response till the approval.

I have no idea what was going on. Many others who filed later were approved before us.

Shannon