Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When does it get easier? Unhappy in Michigan.

When does it get easier? Unhappy in Michigan.

Old May 13th 2016, 12:44 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does it get easier? Unhappy in Michigan.

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I've experienced hardships in my life that far outweigh homesickness.
Well, aren't you the special one.
Old May 13th 2016, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I've experienced hardships in my life that far outweigh homesickness. Both my wife and I have survived cancer, my wife had Ovarian cancer age 39, and went through hell as do many. My son had a near fatal motorcycle accident and it was touch and go for months and took years to near fully recover. My daughter as MS. We dealt with it.
And so have many of the people on this website and that's the reason we try to give good compassionate advice , share our experiences and add a good amount of British humour and sarcasm.

Telling someone to pack up and leave doesn't help.
Old May 13th 2016, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can sugar coat it any way you want. But in blunt language it comes down to deal with it or go back, those are the choices, plain and simple. Most people are saying deal with, but in more polite terms. I know plenty of people that have come here and moved back, some of them several times. Bob speaks of family, sometimes it's the Wife and some times it's the husband. If she's unhappy, he should return for her.
I hope this is a place where one can express ones point of view, whether it is popular or not. I've lived in this country long enough to have seen it all, generally if someone is unhappy here, moving back is the best solution, and works out for the best.
If children are involved...where do they fit into the equation?
Old May 13th 2016, 3:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If children are involved...where do they fit into the equation?
Don't worry... He's seen it all.
Old May 13th 2016, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a migrant is tough. That is why we use the euphemism "expat" - to make it seem more glamorous.
Old May 13th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Well, aren't you the special one.
Quoting someone out of context is a cheap trick. Aren't you the clever one?
Old May 13th 2016, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
And so have many of the people on this website and that's the reason we try to give good compassionate advice , share our experiences and add a good amount of British humour and sarcasm.

Telling someone to pack up and leave doesn't help.
I believe I've given her the best advise yet. One of the previous posters said she'd lived here many unhappy years and was glad to be back. We all have probably known people that have returned, I have yet to hear anyone regret it.
I don't believe I ever said "pack up and leave". Why try and talk her into staying when she's obviously unhappy here. Everyone is bringing up sceneries that don't apply in this case.

Last edited by johnwoo; May 13th 2016 at 5:52 pm.
Old May 13th 2016, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say it was easy, I put it in simple terms, do you have a third way?
Why should it break the family apart? Brits and others go back all the time, it doesn't break up the family. I fact I have never known where that has been the case. Ultimately it has to be dealt with, or just go on simmering below the surface.
You've not been around the forums long to see the heart ache then.

It's not as simple as go back. Not every one is able to. People with kids, if they want to stay with their kids, can't just up sticks and move back if the spouse doesn't want to.

Not every one is in a position to afford a spouse visa for the UK, nor the expense of moving.
Old May 13th 2016, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't worry... He's seen it all.
Yes at age 79 and 50 years in the US, I have seen it all. Including being a child in London during WW2, my dad being away for 5 years in the Army. Food shortages, rationing. Serving in the RAF myself. I've seen it all.
Old May 13th 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob

It's not as simple as go back. Not every one is able to. People with kids, if they want to stay with their kids, can't just up sticks and move back if the spouse doesn't want to.

Not every one is in a position to afford a spouse visa for the UK, nor the expense of moving.
We are not talking about everyone, we are talking about this particular case.
Old May 13th 2016, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob

One doesn't need to be on this forum to know about people unhappy in the US,
50 years in the country I've seen it several many times over. Personal friends, colleagues at work. I've yet to hear of anyone that has regretted it. I know of someone recently that came back to the US from the UK, last I heard he's returned to the UK again.

As someone here said of me "he's seen it all". Well yes pretty much.
Old May 13th 2016, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy enough I would think, you either deal with it and make the best of it and get to know something about the USA, or go back.

I didn't say it was easy, I put it in simple terms, do you have a third way?
Why should it break the family apart? Brits and others go back all the time, it doesn't break up the family. I fact I have never known where that has been the case. Ultimately it has to be dealt with, or just go on simmering below the surface.
Yes, you said GO BACK.

And obviously you don't understand how difficult it can be with a family when some want to stay and some don't.

As for breaking up families, maybe you should read some of the other threads on here so you can figure out what we are talking about. Or maybe you just like to be argumentive.
Old May 13th 2016, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yes, you said GO BACK.

And obviously you don't understand how difficult it can be with a family when some want to stay and some don't.

As for breaking up families, maybe you should read some of the other threads on here so you can figure out what we are talking about. Or maybe you just like to be argumentive.
What makes me the argumentive one. I expressed an opinion. You and others disagree, fair enough. I've tried to keep the discussion civil, in spite of some nasty remarks. I guess I'm not one of the gang. A friendly group as long as you go along.
I get it.
Old May 13th 2016, 8:03 pm

Quoting someone out of context is a cheap trick. Aren't you the clever one?
Yes. Yes I am.
Old May 13th 2016, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Yes. Yes I am.
Does that make you a sponge worthy Sponge Bob ?

/elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.