Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did it go right for you?

Wikiposts

When did it go right for you?

Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did it go right for you?

Originally Posted by TheWilliamsons
The UK is going to the DOGs. Everyone you speak to wants out because its not our country any more. Even on the UK news there were brits talking about wanting to get out if they could. The Government letting everyone in while we are fighting to get out and make a better life. The UK has nothing to offer my kids any more. The local school talk to you as if your rubbish and know nothing while the Florida school spoke to us as if we were adults and even more so spoke to my kids as humans and not just a pain in the rear end. Thes nothing for my kids to do in the area where as were our house is in Florida they have loads for them to do and also for us.
I want the best for my family and at this point in time its out of the UK as quickly as I packed the bags.
If it doesnt work for us in the states then i would still not come back id try other places rather then come back here.
I think a lot of what you hear about Brit's wanting to leave England is media hype. Sure, there are Brit's who want to leave for various reasons, but there aren't as many as the tabloids/TV would have you believe. I knew a couple of people in the UK who wanted out, but I knew many more who didn't want out.

You mention the Government letting everyone in - but just as many get let in here, it's just a case of those people being from different countries. In CA I see more Mexicans than anything else, and many of them cannot even speak English - every letter I get from the school is written in Spanish and English!

Much of what is bad about the UK does not really affect the average person's day to day life - for many, it's more about reading the paper and getting angry, than actually being confronted with the problem on their own doorstep. I suspect it's just the same in the US; although in my case, I only ever read about immigration problems in the UK, whereas now I am in CA I am confronted by it every single day!

As for children having nothing to do, that all comes down to the type of area where you live. There are areas where there are things for children to do, and areas where there is nowt - this applies to the UK and the US. Education is another subject - and all I'll say is that having now lived in the US for a while, given the choice I would go back to England.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
well the nice rosie picture that I replied to...health care is still shite here, education is still shite here...all the gloss with a big swimming pool and big house in a sunny climate doesn't make the place any different or better than the shite back in the UK.....it's just a different tint...
Well said, and oh so true!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheWilliamsons
The UK is going to the DOGs. ... The Government letting everyone in while we are fighting to get out and make a better life.
Let me get this straight: the UK is going to the dogs because of immigrants. So you have emigrated to another country. I believe this makes you immigrants - or not?

Or are you 'good' immigrants, and 'they' are 'bad' immigrants?

I wonder who decides...
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Let me get this straight: the UK is going to the dogs because of immigrants. So you have emigrated to another country. I believe this makes you immigrants - or not?

I wonder who decides...

Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:59 am
Resurrected member

Scarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura about

I wonder who decides...
RIOTOUS APPLAUSE!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Also, if the expat is forced through lack of money to return it must be very disheartening and sometimes even embarrassing. Might even feel like a big loser.
I agree with this wholeheartedly and understand that dealing with a system that one didn't grow up in must be bewildering. I can only say that since I am one of my university and hometown's best and brightest, my own fall to unemployability is a bit embarrassing. The ONLY job I know someone hiring for personally ironically is at the company where my brother works; and since I'd be working for him, HR won't allow it based on nepotism and practical issues.

My point in saying this is merely that citizenship and a green card and living near to where you grew up aren't always magic bullets. They help immensely, but being flexible and taking advantage of every opportunity to get to know people and network are crucial.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:46 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I agree with this wholeheartedly and understand that dealing with a system that one didn't grow up in must be bewildering....
One of the most beaurocratic systems to boot. Bewildering aint the word sometimes.

Still at least if you survive the beaurocracy then you can look back and laugh...and if you ever do move back the UK the beaurocracy there will be childs play by comparison

Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
It's never really gone wrong for me. But getting a job after 10 months of EAD issue's and then resume sending certainly turned all the things that my wife and I had talked about doing once I got here, into reality. I've never been happier.
As usual.. Pimpbot never moans about anything... just gets on and enjoys his life... a person I admire very much...A few more like him would not go amiss.
you only have one life... enjoy it.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
As usual.. Pimpbot never moans about anything... just gets on and enjoys his life... a person I admire very much...A few more like him would not go amiss.
you only have one life... enjoy it.
Thanks Ray.

Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:03 am
Just Joined

londonerdanny will become famous soon enoughlondonerdanny will become famous soon enough

"I think you get a very rose tinted view of the UK and it reminded me in general what a shithole it is."

Well, you can only speak for yourself, and if you feel that way about your home country, I'm sorry.

However, as someone who loves England I also find your comment rather insulting. You might perhaps want to moderate your comments somewhat in future...
I'm sorry Donna but Eskimo was right...
They say you get what you pay for and i would agree with that - until you talk about the UK (well maybe just England [esp London] ) where you pay through the nose (the shirt already taken from your back) for an absolutly crappy service / product.
-we pay the equilivilant to $6.43 per gallon of unleaded here now.
public transport costs - don't even get me started
crumbling infrastrusture - how much tax do we pay ? and for what ? certinly not for the police or the NHS it would seem.

I'm sorry, I love the UK - I mean I really do love it here but it really isn't worth defending in an argument.

P.S. this is my first post (hello everybody ) - I'm planning to marry my US fiancee and moving to Missouri in the near future.

Danny
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonerdanny
I'm sorry Donna but Eskimo was right...
They say you get what you pay for and i would agree with that - until you talk about the UK (well maybe just England [esp London] ) where you pay through the nose (the shirt already taken from your back) for an absolutly crappy service / product.
-we pay the equilivilant to $6.43 per gallon of unleaded here now.
public transport costs - don't even get me started
crumbling infrastrusture - how much tax do we pay ? and for what ? certinly not for the police or the NHS it would seem.

I'm sorry, I love the UK - I mean I really do love it here but it really isn't worth defending in an argument.

P.S. this is my first post (hello everybody ) - I'm planning to marry my US fiancee and moving to Missouri in the near future.

Danny
Have some karma mate - welcome and good luck
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In for a bit of a shock then

And welcome to the site
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:45 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I love the UK - I mean I really do love it here
hmmm sounds like it.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope it works out for you here in the only perfect country on the planet (not).
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Danny
Hi Danny -- just curious -- have you visited Missouri? It would be a huge culture shock for someone from NYC to move to Missouri, despite being American.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 3:12 pm
ImHere

I had an argument with a mate about the cost of motoring and that its about the same in the US and the UK, he wouldnt believe me until I did this calc for him:

US:
Petrol costs (now) 2.14 per US gallon (A US gallon only 3.75 liters) so thats 58c per liter.
Average car ecomony = 22mpg (22 / 3.75= 5.8miles per liter) = 10c per mile for fuel

Average US insurance = (approx) $600 per 6 months = $1200 per year.
Assume 12000 miles per year, average Ins costs = 10c per mile.

UK:
Petrol costs (now) 82p per litre. (4.5 litres per UK gallon)
Average car economy = 33mpg (33 / 4.5 = 7.3 miles per liter) = 12p per mile.
Average UK insurance = (approx) 500 per year.
Assume 12000 miles per year, average Ins costs = 4p per mile.
Plus Tax and MOT (200 per year) = 2p per mile

So US costs per mile = 20c, UK costs per mile = 18p.
Of course this doesnt factor in the cost of servicing and consumables such as tyres (they are about the same in each country). And then over here theres not much of an option but to drive everywhere. At least in the UK you can get a bus...no matter how crappy it may be. Still....no-ones taking my 5.3 liter V8 chevy off me

Now could all the people in Britain please stop complaining about the cost of petrol. Its not all it seems

Last edited by ImHere; Mar 12th 2005 at 3:16 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.