Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did it go right for you?

When did it go right for you?

Old Mar 4th 2005, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Talking Re: When did it go right for you?

[QUOTE=ImHere]Hey Rushman we live in South Florida and here its exactly the opposite:

Kids leaving the door open a nanosecond too long and the house fills with squadrons of flying nasties out to eat you to death. Fireants abound all over the place. Poisonous spiders and snakes take up residence in your garage and under your bed.

This may sound very cavalier but I would swap the snakes and spiders for the skunks that have decided that my (delapidated) garage is The Adirondack Hilton. Old "Pepe La Pew" and his family have must laugh themselves stupid on the 3 occasions that I have pulled in the garage at night and they let one off before we got out the car. I tell you there is NOTHING in this world that smells as bad. 15 pints of bitter and a lamb vindaloo couldn't make me puke quicker or for as long, and who wants to bath in tomatoes to get rid of the smell? We have bears and coyotes up here but they aren't much of a problem, just dump trash in the back yard now and again (and can keep doing so 'cos I'm not argueing with 'em). At first the bugs were a huge problem, this region is famous for the bugs in the summer. I just cover myself in this repellant called "Off" and regularly shut that word accompanied by another when I am being dive bombed by a squadron of vampire black fly.
Ok so we have established that upstate NY is too cold and that Florida is too hot.....what about someplace in between? Say N or S Carolina, Virginia or Geogia? I just thought, Florida has to many hurricanes for me too, I would rather have a house buried in 10 feet of snow than see it blown 200 feet in the air while I am cowering in the cellar, holding onto the family jewels getting ready to kiss my ass goodbye!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: When did it go right for you?

Back to the original topic.
For me it's going to be when I eventually get a 'proper job, not just for the money (although that's going to be nice) but also for the enjoyment of going to work in a job I enjoy.
What's most annoying is that I know my work ethic is much better (certainly than the people I work with) and yet trying to 'break in' is very difficult.
I definately made the right choice in coming here and of course there are plus and minuses (cheap cigs, booze, petrol etc as against phenominal car insurance and no credit although mines geeting there.) Weather, health insurance etc etc
Most of the time I'm as happy as a pig in shit, but I know that when I eventually get the right job, I'll be on my way.
Unfortunately trying to find that job is mentally all consuming !!!

There's an old proverb (apparently) about a Japanese salesman whose smile gets bigger for every door that shuts in his face.
Because he knows he's getting closer to that one that will stay open.
So the key for me is a job, I've been on about it long enough. :0)
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:26 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I know what you mean Frankiln I get that iron in my hand and as Bill Withers said "and I know its gonna be a lovely day..."
*LOL* ... few Americans have done lots of ironing - folding clothes is their thing.

Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
Back to the original topic.
For me it's going to be when I eventually get a 'proper job, not just for the money (although that's going to be nice) but also for the enjoyment of going to work in a job I enjoy.
Aye, that's very true...would improve my outlook no end I'm sure
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:52 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I never left Blighty because I hated it, far from it. As its been said over and over again, alot of Brits come here because of their U.S spouse.

I love where I used to live, but I also really enjoy where I am right now. At first I thought I was at a major disadvantage not already having a car paid off or savings in the bank like most U.S folk, we all have to start all over again, we are all in the same pot....no credit history, high interest rates, even our bloody car insurance is sky high because it looks like were new drivers with ZERO insurance history....

Bloody well get over it then. No one was forced to move over here, for many it was a dream that turns into a nightmare....oh well move back if its that bad!

Yes its frustrating when you work with a bunch of numptys that have degrees coming out of their arse but can do a job worth a shit, but there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Seacrest out!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Bloody well get over it then. No one was forced to move over here, for many it was a dream that turns into a nightmare....oh well move back if its that bad!
--------------------------------------------------------

It's not quite as simple as that, and as you said many of us came here with US spouses, probably with rose coloured glasses.
So if I wasn't happy (which I am) you're suggesting I move back to the UK and leave my wife ?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Before there was a class-action lawsuit, one of the largest banks here would post your checks through, sending you into the red, charge you 30(?) bucks, then post your deposits through sending you back into the black on the same night.
if any of you havnt banked in england for a while you may be suprised to see (or maybe not) that banking charges have gone up loads in the last 12 months halifax charge you £35 for every returned direct debit or cheque plus interest for every day u are overdrawn that really is daylight robbery.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
daylight robbery.
so's trying to cash a cheque when you don't have the money in your account though.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
so's trying to cash a cheque when you don't have the money in your account though.
Im now convinced you are not from Stockport
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
hehehe actually i had a list of their revised charges through the post the other day!
honest
lol
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:12 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman

This may sound very cavalier but I would swap the snakes and spiders for the skunks that have decided that my (delapidated) garage is The Adirondack Hilton. Old "Pepe La Pew" and his family have must laugh themselves stupid on the 3 occasions that I have pulled in the garage at night and they let one off before we got out the car.

Made me laugh thinking about it too .... sorry
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

It's never really gone wrong for me. But getting a job after 10 months of EAD issue's and then resume sending certainly turned all the things that my wife and I had talked about doing once I got here, into reality. I've never been happier.

Bob, can I crown you "King of Sweeping Generalization Statements" after reading this and many of your other 14,000+ posts.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:22 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
--------------------------------------------------------

It's not quite as simple as that, and as you said many of us came here with US spouses, probably with rose coloured glasses.
So if I wasn't happy (which I am) you're suggesting I move back to the UK and leave my wife ?

This rose coloured glasses thing, was that a 1980's thought of the U.S?

I mean when I was 8, I told everyone in my family that I was going to live in America because I all thought everyone lived in Disney world.

As I got older ol' Judith chalmers and her bloody great holidays in Florida and California actually added fuel to the fire....

"Oh I just have to live there I cried, we can all live in a dream"

well, as I outgrew my teens and I started to travel around the world, I knew that no-where in the world is there the perfect place....I mean the perfect place for me, is on a beach maybe working 20 hours a week for $100,000 a year! where I can windsurf more than I actually work BUT guess what?

When I first came to the states, it didn't matter if I would have to live in the slums just as long as I was with this beautiful American young lady (mrs yosser). Luckily it wasn't the slums, but shit I was piss poor for over 2 years, never once did I think of going back (its been over 5 now, still struggle from time to time), I made my bed, so now I am laying in it!

By the way Rog, Don't leave the wife because of me, 1 x mad mrs Yosser is enough, let alone another irrate female
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I mean when I was 8, I told everyone in my family that I was going to live in America because I all thought everyone lived in Disney world.

As I got older ol' Judith chalmers and her bloody great holidays in Florida and California actually added fuel to the fire....

Made me laugh my arse off!!!! Moreso because my childhood had the same dreams and I also fell under the spell of Judith's spin ( I also wanted a car like the guys in "The Dukes of Hazzard")
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rushman
I I also wanted a car like the guys in "The Dukes of Hazzard
I just wanted Daisy Duke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.