Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did it go right for you?

When did it go right for you?

Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Talking Re: When did it go right for you?

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I just wanted Daisy Duke
My hormones hadn't kicked in then, you're obviously older than me!!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When did it go right for you?

Originally Posted by rushman
My hormones hadn't kicked in then, you're obviously older than me!!!
I was an early starter ...... it amused me many years later to hear a female friend descibe her shorts as a pair of Daisy Dukes
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was an early starter ...... it amused me many years later to hear a female friend descibe her shorts as a pair of Daisy Dukes
speaking of...was watching a couple of episodes lastnight...kinda shite now...stick with the memories....i'm sure it'll be the same if I saw knight rider or whatever *l*
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
....i'm sure it'll be the same if I saw knight rider or whatever *l*
nah ......... I never fancied David Hasselhof
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

As a parent of a pre-teen daughter I'm scandalised, but those short shorts are in again. But surely you've noticed the young lasses wearing those and a tube top, street teaming for bands by rollerskating around West LA, West Hollywood and Santa Monica.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:00 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Bob, can I crown you "King of Sweeping Generalization Statements" after reading this and many of your other 14,000+ posts.
Bob, I'm a newbie, AND a Yank, but I have an urge to dub you Eeyore. In the nicest possible way.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

nah ......... I never fancied David Hasselhof
even with his flowing locks and stunning singing voice?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Bob, I'm a newbie, AND a Yank, but I have an urge to dub you Eeyore. In the nicest possible way.
geee....thanks
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Nick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheWilliamsons
The UK is going to the DOGs. Everyone you speak to wants out because its not our country any more. Even on the UK news there were brits talking about wanting to get out if they could. The Government letting everyone in while we are fighting to get out and make a better life. The UK has nothing to offer my kids any more.
This is interesting Actually in Germany people think, that things are okay in UK -- more jobs etc.

Germany is to steps from the total collapse, no jobs, about 5 million unemployments -- officially -- experts think this is a fake in unemplyment -stats and that 9 million people are unemployed ... :scared:

anyway, don`t move over here
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:41 am
Resurrected member

Scarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Chandler
A lot of talk on this board often concerns the difficultly of getting started (credit score) or the unexpected costs (medical) combined with the joys of US State Dept Administration (various).

My question is this: At what point did you actually think that yes, it's all going to be okay after all?
Now

It takes time. And it varies for everyone. Here's my take:

It got better when we landed here and could finally all be together.

It got better when I realised how settled and happy my kids were.

It got better when I got an SS number after 6 months of waiting and took my first job - at Starbucks.

It got better when I got a second job as a tutor.

It got better when I got my Green Card.

It got better when we celebrated our first wedding anniversary.

It got better when I finally landed a decent full-time job with benefits.

It got better when we managed to get a car after a year in Dallas with no wheels.

It got better when we celebrated our second wedding anniversary.

It got better when our kids were invited to apply to attend Magnet schools.

It got better when we got a dog.

It got better last week when I got a huge promotion and doubled my salary.

It gets better every time I look into my husband's eyes, every time I hear my children giggle.

The weather is always better.

Don't get me wrong. There have been some really really tough times in the last two years, but that wasn't your question.

I have no regrets. It just gets better.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Last edited by Scarlett in Texas; Mar 7th 2005 at 4:46 am.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you all here my story goes like this. First came to the US in 95 on an extended vacation and work opportunities should you have been able to take them were good (I'm in the IT industry and was even approached by Microsoft in 95) but I didn't have things in place ready to make the move. I finally became a PR and moved full time in 2001, married in 2002 and life has been kicking me in the arse (correct spelling ) ever since.

Job hunting here in CO has been an absolute nightmare, lucky to have had some contracts but money is getting real low now. Someone here posted about our (Brits) work ethics and I totally agree we certainly have the upper hand there.

My one upshot of my life here in the US so far is our beautiful baby girl we gave birth to in 04 but now my worry is being able to support my family ion an industry that lets face it has fallen into the crapper right about now.

Heres my catch 22 thqat maybe you can help with, firstly how do you get your name under the right persons nose ? Secondly if you determine the state your in has nothing to offer and you look at relocating how do you convinve those in the state you are interested in that they should look at you before you move. Lastly anyone hiring

It's a great place and I too went back for a Xmas holiday in 04 and although I miss the family back there certainly could not wait to be back on a plane coming HOME here

WC in CO
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:32 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Wildcat_1
... if you determine the state your in has nothing to offer and you look at relocating how do you convinve those in the state you are interested in that they should look at you before you move ...
WC in CO
This is a story that has unfortunately become commonplace among Brit expats (and doubtless among just about every expat group in the USA). The US economy and job scene has taken a BIG whack and while the economy is supposed to be recovering, the same is not exactly true in the job arena; outsourcing, job obsolescence, etc. We might feel very angry and bitter about it, feel that we invested so much in getting established here and then "this happens".

Please don't take this wrong ... just some ideas to provoke you into thinking about different potential job-solutions ...

Give serious and urgent consideration to moving into a totally different field/job area. Look at jobs that you never thought you would every do just to get into the right kind of aggressive nothing is barred job hunting session, then look a job areas where there is demand and (from your perspective and capability) where the skill level and entry requirements are not so steep (based on your personal skill/attributes set) that you can't afford to make the career/job switch. If your area has turned into mush, MOVE into a different field that is opening up or at least offers secure and meaningful gainful employment. There are job areas where demand is outstripping supply. Nursing is one obvious area, but the time and money required to get into nursing is high and may not otherwise be what you want to do, etc.

Some expats get a lucky break, they had to make the decision to move into different lines of work upon moving to the USA. But there are many expats who are finding out that they need to make such decisions some years after moving to the USA and this is hard and the taste is often very bitter, particularly since they often feel they have been sold a "bill of goods" that has not matched their expectations. But as your field has turned to mush and because you have serious family responsibilities, you need to identify career/job opportunities ASAP. I keep on mentioning this, but you might want to drop a line to Lairdside; Lairdside had to make some hard decisions about getting a job that provided good medical benefits for herself and her children (her son is gravely ill and she has had cancer, if he is able to move permanently to the USA he will be covered by Lairdside's medical benefit package - this informaiton is no longer private, Lairdside explicitly revealed this information in the Lounge (from memory), she just likes to help people through explaining what problems she is going through; Lairdside is a very wonderful lady; anyway, medical benefits were a big issue for her; Lairdside applied for and got a job with the US postal service - trainee manager (USC not required for this line of work, other Federal agencies may require USC for some jobs); the funny thing about working for such a large Federal employer is that later she will be able to get transfers (if she wants that) to a different part of the USPS (perhaps in a legal/attorney job) or perhaps in electrical engineering (Lairdside has some pretty top notch qualifications and is currently working on getting her JD), but meanwhile she has a good income, and EXCELLENT health benefits for herself and her USA based family. There are job areas where demand for certain skill sets is outstripping supply. Small passenger jet aircraft is going to BOOM, so says Warren Buffet and he has a very good eye for spotting growth opportunities, nursing is another one, police work, local government jobs, large long distance truck driving might be another, etc.

Meanwhile, best of British luck, you deserve it.

Last edited by Franklin; Mar 11th 2005 at 6:45 am.

Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:49 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Franklin
This is a story that has unfortunately become commonplace among Brit expats (and doubtless among just about every expat group in the USA). The US economy and job scene has taken a BIG whack and while the economy is supposed to be recovering, the same is not exactly true in the job arena; outsourcing, job obsolescence, etc. We might feel very angry and bitter about it, feel that we invested so much in getting established here and then "this happens".

Small passenger jet aircraft is going to BOOM, so says Warren Buffet and he has a very good eye for spotting growth opportunities, nursing is another one, police work, local government jobs, large long distance truck driving might be another, etc. Best of British luck, you deserve it.
Not that this is any consolation but USCs are having a hard time at finding jobs now; it isn't only immigrants. Was the original poster in high tech? If so, I empathise with you.

I am limited physically in my job choices because I cannot be on my feet for too long (they swell and I've had pressure fractures due to having high arches and small feet). I'd actually be good at long haul truck driving, but as a single parent that's not a full-time option. My city is very desirable to live in because of quality of life, so every position is fought for by hundreds of people. Relocation is difficult because I'd have to win a court order to move away.

However: I keep trying. Upload your resume to every jobsearch board you want; don't limit yourself geographically, even if you feel you are limited, because you might catch a company or recruiter's eye who are looking NOW for people in that area who may remember you later, though if you can at all relocate, strongly consider it. Always remember that health insurance for the most part is tied to one's job and that if one has a family, especially a young family, having good health insurance as a benefit provides immense peace of mind.

Is there a local pub? expats group? any volunteer organisations? best way to get a job is by knowing someone, as I'm sure you know, and the more someones you know, the less isolated you will feel in your joblessness and the more contacts you will have.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: When did it go right for you?

Originally Posted by rushman
I now flatly refuse to shovel the driveway more than once a day (during snow storms up here you might have to shovel up to 4 times a day..........like thats gonna happen!!)
No!! I am definately not going to be 100% OK with this America thing until I can get away from all this snow!!

I've got news for you....more snow is forecast and the weathermen are reporting that Boston may get 8" of snow and Maine will get a foot of snow over the weekend....so I guess you will be getting some of it in the Adirondacks The last few days have been bitterly cold, I really can't stand it - trouble is we can't really relocate anywhere else in the US as my husband's employer is allied to the investment banks and stockbrokers in NYC....they used to have R&D in Palo Alto, CA but moved it to Bangkok where labour is cheaper.

I was cursing my husband this morning for not putting the car in the garage after he returned from the gym last night as I had to clear all the snow off to drive my son to school (we're in northern New Jersey). I'm sick of the sight of it.

Which ski areas are out your way? My husband (skiier) and son (snowboarder)like to go up to Belleayre in the Catskills and occasionally I'll go along but I'm a very slow and over-cautious skiier and mainly stick to the green (easy) trails....how far away is the Catskills from where you are? (We went to Killington, VT at Christmas and I'm sure we must have passed through your area - is it where Lake Placid is?).
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:18 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Not that this is any consolation but USCs are having a hard time at finding jobs now; it isn't only immigrants. Was the original poster in high tech? If so, I empathise with you. *snip*
Yes, it is hard for everyone including USCs. But generally, it is harder on expats living here because they lack back-up/family structure with siblings etc. back in their country of origin; they can move to be near their folks but generally that means leaving the country with the added knock on of messing up immigration paperwork. I sympathize greatly with any expat that is without a job and de minimus family back up. On top of all that there is the widely perceived notion back home that "you must be doing very well", etc. Also, if the expat is forced through lack of money to return it must be very disheartening and sometimes even embarrassing. Might even feel like a big loser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.